“Royal Opera House”

Royal Opera House
Ranked #72 of 1,892 things to do in London
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1732, this well-known theater is the home to the Royal Ballet and Royal Opera, which regularly features world famous stars and performances throughout the year.
Reviewed May 20, 2015

I have visited the ROH for the ballet (The Nutcracker) in the past, and it is still the best ballet I have seen to date. On my most recent visit to London I did the Guided Backstage Tour, which was very insightful. Our guide (I think it was David) took us inside the auditorium as well as backstage where we saw the lighting room, how they change the sets so quickly, and the Royal Ballet in class. I highly recommend the tour, especially if it's wet outside!

2  Thank Stella F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,613)
All reviews
in 311 reviews
"interval"
in 246 reviews

Reviewed May 19, 2015

A friend and I had a backstage tour at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden and it was excellent. 1 ½ hours well spent during our day out in London. We had booked and I would advise this, although you may be lucky if you happened to chance by one day. Martin our guide made the tour very interesting and we were extremely fortunate to be shown inside the auditorium during a break in rehearsals which apparently is a rare opportunity. We wasn't allowed this time to visit the workshop rooms as they were very busy. It was brought to our attention that should we wish to do a visit another time that we would possibly be shown different areas, as it all depended on the day what a visitor could or could not see. I for one will surely be arranging/suggesting more visits with friends in the future, as I feel so many would enjoy the tour. At £12 this is a worthwhile experience and if by chance you could arrange the tour before a viewing a performance, then I would think that would be the icing on the cake so to speak of your day.

Reviewed May 19, 2015 via mobile

Nutcracker...... Amazing the first time I have seen it. Tickets can be costly if you would like a good seat but well worth it. Would certainly like to go back for the auditorium alone.

Reviewed May 19, 2015

I am a regular at the Royal Opera House, but have also visited the opera in New York, Vienna, Berlin, Prague, Sydney and many many others, but the ROH is always a fantastic experience. Music wonderful, excellent singers and the bars and restaurant make it an excellent evening. Its expensive in the best seats, but a wonderful experience . I never fail to enjoy it.