“Beautiful small hotel in Kensington.”
Review of Aster House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Aster House
Ranked #27 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed just one night in this small hotel on a quiet street, but wish it had been more. The staff is very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. The room was large, bed comfortable and breakfast very good. It is close to the South Kensington tube station.

Room Tip: Our room was below ground level, but very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Michael M
There are newer reviews for Aster House

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Leonie couldn't have been more helpful, ensuring my 12yo son was looked after while I was out. Thank you Leonie. (My only beef, no bacon for breakfast - just a personal thing!)

Excellent location, a block away from South Kensington station. The other reviews say it all.

Given London prices, I thought it was excellent value and deserving of its high rating.

(Side Note: Dry cleaning and laundry service was reasonably priced by hotel standards but Annie's Laundrette, 9 Gloucester Road would have been a lifesaver for a large laundry load if I hadn't forgotten to pick it up!).

Room Tip: No3 was lowest cost double, small, v small shower/bathroom, but nice small balcony over front door.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank PhoenixAustralia
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This Trust property is a block from the South Kensington transportation hub and within walking distance of Chelsea and several musuems. The decor is understated, pristine and elegant which suits the upscale block of large historic homes . There are a variety of restaurants within three blocks of the Aster House. The breakfast at the B&B was complete with eggs and a dozen other choices. The hostess was gracious and very accommodating.

We were delighted with our two week stay. Special treats were the garden with a duck pond and the landscaped balcony off the second floor breakfast room. Although the guest room we had was a bit small, two floor to ceiling windows and balcony created the feeling of a much larger room and the room was well furnished with enough storage.

Since London is expensive to visit, the Aster House was also. However, the price was justified by the total experience.

Room Tip: The shower was small and a room with a bathtub would have been more spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank BevJones
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was my umpteenth stay at Aster House (going back to 1993) and it's still a great place to stay. Service is excellent -- the onsite manager is a wonderfully friendly and knowledgeable hostess who accommodated my needs whenever I asked. Breakfast also offers outstanding choices. And the location can't be beat: very close to the South Kensington Tube station, and lots of decent eateries in the vicinity. I wil be back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank AbeLincoln115
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Based, in part, on its great rating on tripadvisor, my wife and I arranged a 5 night stay at London’s Aster House in early May 2012. The ratings are right on target; it was a wonderful experience. Our comfortable room (number 1) was on the ground floor, overlooking a quiet street filled with well maintained, private homes. Our hosts, Leonie and her husband, were great sources of information on dining, transportation and even where to purchase the sports jerseys of our favorite football (soccer) team. Breakfast was more than ample and had enough variety to keep us interested for the 5 days.

While the location is wonderful, with restaurants of various foods (Pub, Italian, Indian, Lebanese, etc.) within two or three city blocks, there are some drawbacks. The South Kensington tube station is only 2 blocks away, but has no elevator or escalator. Be aware of that if carrying heavy luggage or if climbing stairs presents difficulties. There are also stairs leading to the front of the house and breakfast is served in a beautiful dining area one flight up. It would be worth contacting Aster House to ensure the facilities are suitable for those with physical limitations. Another limitation was the WiFi connection. Aster House does offer use of a computer at a minimum charge, but the WiFi is at no cost. The problem was that I could not make the WiFi connection, nor could a couple of other residents. It became a topic of conversation at breakfast. Recognizing that these problems also exist at other guest facilities, Aster House remains at the top of our list for a comfortable London visit. One additional caution pertinent to all arrangements made with any establishment. Make sure you carry a copy of the reservation commitment. Aster House costs changed between the time the reservation was made and the date of the stay. It was by showing my email copy of the reservation agreement that we got the lower cost.

Room Tip: If concerned about stairs, contact Aster House before reserving.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
16  Thank DaveHMaryland
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Aster House last August. We arrived the day before the riots started. It was a very interesting time to be in London. The South Kensington area felt very safe and Leonie made sure we were well taken care of. Our room was a wonderful double room on the second floor looking out on to the street. We enjoyed opening the windows in the evening. The breakfast was fresh and hearty and set us up for a day of sightseeing. We were pleasantly surprised to see Rick Steves at breakfast one morning.
The location is great. The tube station is 2 blocks away. There are good restaurants close by and Hummingbird Bakery (oh the cupcakes!)is at the end of the block.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank mgstiles
Reviewed May 2, 2012

For my first trip to London, I chose to stay at the Aster House in South Kensington based on reviews I read on Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed! It WAS an ideal location. Located only a few blocks from South Kensington Tube Station and the bus stops. We were two women traveling alone and I felt very safe in the neighborhood. There was a great choice of restaurants very near. We enjoyed dinner at Bella Italia very much.
Mrs. Tan was a wonderful hostess. She was always checking to make sure we were comfortable and had what we needed. She was a great source of information on how to get around and what to see. The room was spacious and breakfast in the Orangery was delightful and peaceful with a good selection of pasteries, eggs and fruit and of course hot tea.
When I return to London, I will be making reservations at the Aster House.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends