“Fabulous Quiet Location”
Review of Aster House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Aster House
Ranked #37 of 580 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My sister and I stayed for 6 nights at Aster House in July. Nice townhome with clean, adequate rooms; air conditioning; flat screen TV with a good choice of channels; great location;quiet street; just a few minutes walk from South Kensington tube (3 lines in one location). Breakfast was good. All the basics were provided. Polite, friendly staff.

We arrived a litle earlier than expected, but Leoni let us in -- the front door is locked at all times. (You get in with your key.) She gave us a map of the area, suggested some restaurants for lunch, and assured us our luggage would be in our rooms when we returned. Everything worked out well.

The hotel is south of Kensington/Hyde Park area; a few blocks from the Victoria and Albert Museum ( a must see). For first time visitors to London, the location of the townhome was perfect. Out of the hustle and bustle but not so far that you felt you were taking a huge amount of your time commuting to see the sites. South Kensington tube also has the Piccadilly (blue) line that takes you to and from Heathrow.

If we return to London another time, we would definitely book the Aster House again.

Room Tip: Bigger room doesn't necessarily mean bigger bathroom or shower area.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Rosanne112

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My son and I stayed for four nights -it was his first trip to London and although I had lived in there through my teens, it had been a long time since my last visit.

Very well located, removed from the heavy tourist areas, but close to the V&A, Hyde Park and Brompton Road -great walking. Also with S.Kensington Tube 2 blocks away easy access to everything.

a typical London terrace house with probably no more than 10 guest rooms --small but very well appointed and comfortable.

Top notch breakfast and very relaxed and accommodating hospitality.

Mrs Tan is a discreet and gracious hostess. Her staff and the ducks succeed in making you feel very welcome.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank John S
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed here with my daughter as a treat, to get over jet-lag (9 hour overnight trip from North America) before embarking on a fairly full trip outside London. We were very pleased with the whole experience.

Great location near South Kensington tube; on Picadilly line from Heathrow, so we didn't even have to change to a different underground line. Walking distance from underground station, even with luggage. Our room was ground level facing street and was very quiet. Wi-fi and air-conditioning in room which we did need during our short August stay. Very short walk to the V&A and Natural History museums. Longer, but still easy walk to the Albert Hall and Hyde Park.

Loved the room; very nice bed and bath facilities and spotlessly clean.

Will very definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank JaneAwbrey
Reviewed August 16, 2011

This was the perfect location for us - very close to South Kensington tube station, shopping and restaurants nearby. We really enjoyed Zetland Arms pub just up the street. The Tans were wonderful hosts/managers. Breakfast was delightful and our room was immaculately clean and very comfortable. Very quickly felt like our home away from home in London!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LoveBandBs_8
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Aster House is situated in an excellent neighborhood. I felt quite safe walking from the
Tube Station to the hotel, even after dark. The hotel is walking distance from museums and Harrod's.

The rooms are comfortable and immaculate, and the breakfast is very good The Tans were extremely helpful with directions and advice about how to get around London. By mistake, I booked my stay one night short, and I thought I'd have to move to another hotel, but Ms Tan told me she had one room available for the night, a superior room, which she gave me for the same price as my regular room. The Tans could not have been more helpful for a woman of a certain age traveling alone in London.

I would definitely stay at the Aster House again if I visited London. The people who wrote negative reviews seem to be talking about a different hotel.

Room Tip: The superior room was lovely, but the regular double room was quite nice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank GrandmereMimi
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My wife and 2 teenage children stayed here for 3 nights. A great location, walking distance to Harrods and 2 blocks from a Tub Stop. Very clean. Modern bathroom. Rooms and bathroom a bit small, but normal for Europe and this style of hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend. It is not a Sheraton, so don't expect it to be like a American hotel.

Room Tip: no eleveator so if you have issues with staris ask for a room on a low floor
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MElchinoff
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Most of my stays in London have been paid for by me, for pleasure travel. My lodgings dilemma in London has been a choice between paying hundreds of pounds for even the least of the rooms in a full-service hotel, or, finding myself in a shabby and cell-sized room in a B&B that hasn't been upgraded since Great Aunt Tillie's time. Now I have found Aster House, my new favorite place to stay in London. Their rooms range from singles to superior “suites” –the suite is still a bedroom plus bathroom, but a large bedroom. I stayed in the Poster Suite, down one staircase from the ground floor. The place is spotless, and for a B&B, there are lots of thoughtful extras: free wifi and a/c in the rooms; a generous and good-quality cooked and cold breakfast served in a charming “Orangerie” breakfast room; room decor that is traditional and comfortable; a firm mattress. My bathroom offered a towel warmer and convenient hooks; hair and body products, tissues, and wash cloths. A computer is available for use at the rate of 1 pound per hour. All was in spotless and well-kept condition. Leonie and Simon Tan run the place with courtesy, helpfulness, and rightful pride in their establishment. Aster House is on pretty and very quiet Sumner Place, a 3-minute walk from the South Kensington tube stop. No elevators. There are some ground floor rooms. Book far in advance. Mind the ducks in the garden. www.asterhouse.com

Room Tip: Book far in advance.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo