“Cozy but Chic”

Number Sixteen
Ranked #179 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“Cozy but Chic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

What a wonderful little hotel in Chelsea. Only reason it didn't get 5 stars was they couldn't get air to my room as I visited during the summer and it was one of the few warm days in the UK. They had a wonderful English Breakfast. The rooms while small (I think that's standard for London) were well put together and clean. The service was excellent. I absolutely loved the location which was close to everything it seemed while retaining a quite home like feel. I will stay here again when I visit London.

Room Tip: Try not to stay on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank gdclark77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Beaconsfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

My darling treat me to stay in this lovely hotel when we go to London for shopping or theatre I absolutely love room 7 it's the biggest and breakfast is delicious!Service is very high quality they always take our car to be parked,lend me umbrela when I forget and we usually get deal with bubbly welcome drink.I would very recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Petty16
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Good: lovely street in So.Kensington, close to the Tube, beautiful B&B with exquisite decor, spacious room with large bathroom (we were in the 'basement' & the room looked as though it had been recently redecorated), FABULOUS bed with lovely linen, nice amenities in the bathroom.
The Bad: our room was right on the street and we did get noise, the breakfast (not included) was mediocre, you have to pay an outrageous sum for WiFi (you'd think in this upscale property it would be included), we asked them to call a cab for us the following morning and they forgot, they tried to charge us for champagne from the minibar (we never even opened the minibar.)
The Bottom Line: Even though it was a beautiful place, there was enough not to like that we'd find a different place to stay next time we're in London.

Room Tip: Avoid the 'basement' and rooms facing the street.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Chelsea42
Venice, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

What a lovely hotel! I was taken here on a surprise romantic getaway by my husband. The staff were very welcoming and took care of all our needs. We were offered a welcome drink which I thought was a nice touch. The room was really lovely with great amenities. (it was a bit cold as it was partially the basement but it was late Sept and quite nice weather in London that year ). I had breakfast on the last day (ordered from the menu) and it was great. Plentiful and they bring you loads of tea and jam! The buffet selection seemed abundant and very fresh. The sitting room is a great place to relax with the possibility of checking your email from the computer available.
A great location: close to the Tube, loads of restaurants, bookshops, museums and Boujis nightclub if you can get in ;p. You can literally walk everywhere from there.
We spent most of our time in London exploring the great city that it is so really spent minimal time in our hotel and can't really comment on any negative aspect. Therefore, a great experience overall. I would recommend this place and definitely return for my next stay in London!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nina G
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Beautiful renovated rooms but...some are very noisy.

We were staying in room no 1, located in the basement below the corridor going to the elevator and the dining room. We could hear EVERY steps above us, late at night when guest were coming back to the hotel and VERY early in the morning when the staff was setting breakfast. We did not expect that from a hotel of this category!

After 2 nights, exhausted, we asked to be moved to a room on the second floor. After, we start enjoying our stay in this beautiful and well located hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms no 1 and 2
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Julie L
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Number Sixteen. As many reviewers state it is in a beautiful street, close to transport and restaurants. It has a lovely feel. The breakfast is plentiful and fresh. The staff are helpful. Downsides? If you have to pay for wi fi it is very (unnecessarily) expensive. Ground floor rooms are noisy as people pass your door continuously and the floors are wooden. My room was nicely decorated but starting to look a little tired. Overall I enjoyed my stay but would probably go for Edgerton House next time.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms can be noisy due to passing traffic.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Number Sixteen is located on a quiet street (Sumner Place) near the South Kensington tube station (a 5 minute walk). There's a Hummingbird Bakery and a Post Office nearby (within 1 minute of the hotel). The hotel has 3 floors and a beautiful garden. My room faced the garden. Many restaurants are within a 5 minute walk and there's also a pub 100 yards away.

Upon my arrival I was told the air conditioning had broken down, but had been given a portable unit and my room was upgraded. My room was very comfortable (London had been very warm mid-August). A few days later the a/c was fixed which was good as I liked not having the bulky portable a/c in the room. A nice gift was left for me by mgmt the first day... body oil (really nice quality).

The bed is very comfortable and the room is very quiet, i.e. no street noise, but perhaps it was because I was on the 3rd floor. You can hear the other guests as they come into their room and close their door, but that was it. The closet has french doors and has plenty of hangers. I liked that it was upon entering the room so that when you're in the room you don't see the closet. I also liked the fact that the double doors of the closet had full length mirrors so you could see yourself from behind too. The room came with breakfast (which I always recommend you get at any hotel) and it was full english (sausages, bacon, tomato, mushroom, eggs, fruit, coffee, juice, bread). The TV was a good size with many HD channels. The wi-fi was strong and reliable. I booked my room with wi-fi as the daily rate is quite expensive.

Staff is young and friendly. I hardly saw any guests while I was there which was funny since the hotel was fully booked.

The bathroom was tiny and had a shower only. The shower tile was very slippery! Be careful. The amenities were great too.

The common areas on the ground floor were beautifully decorated. You have a feeling that you're in a posh home which is what I wanted. There's a Mac computer in the front room for your use which I highly suggest you do when booking advance tickets for museums; you can purchase them online for a lower price than at entry and you can also avoid lines.

The neighborhood is very safe as there are many embassies nearby. Harrods is probably a 20 minute walk. Kensington Palace is 15 minutes away by foot. The V&A is 5 minutes away. Lots of shopping to be done within walking distance in Knightsbridge... i.e. Harvey Nichols, Harrods, Topshop, H&M.

I bought so many things during my 3 night stay in London that I had to ship it back home as I was continuing my holiday in Paris and didn't want to lug it all back with me on the train to Paris. The post office being so close was the answer to my prayers!

Room Tip: Book room with breakfast and wi-fi and save in the long run.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo