“service of the highest level, discreet, courteous and outstanding.”

COMO Metropolitan London
Ranked #58 of 1,088 Hotels in London
london
“service of the highest level, discreet, courteous and outstanding.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

The service you recieve at The Metropolitan is outstanding. From the moment we arrived until we left people were attentive, courteous, knowledgable without fussing.
Checkin was fast and we were shown to our room by the same person, not handed to someone else.
Rooms are minimally chic and spotlessly clean.
We had a Park Suite with a small balcony overlooking Hyde Park. Very light and airy.
Beds had been moved and changed from king to twins without any fuss to meet our requirements. Very quiet rooms ensuring peaceful sleep.
Bathroom products smell divine, smells like you are in a spa!
Have eaten in Nobu in the past which was simply mouthwateringly good, decor not as plush as the Berkley Square sister restaurant.
The Met bar was welcoming with resident dj happy to take requests, unheard of in London bares and clubs.
Small and intimate, service excellent bar staff friendly and entertaining with their bottle throwing and ice catching, we did encourage them!!
Breakfast, great selection, from haute cuisine scrambled eggs to bacon baps and HP sauce.
checkout speedy and help given for travelling to our next destination.
This is an understated chic hotel with service of the highest order.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Finnish first
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

had a weekend with girlfriends for my 40th could not fault anything all friendly efficient helpfull would recommend and stay again on my next visit.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

15 ladies had a supposed "Afternoon Tea" at the MET BAR....what a joke. The bar is tatty and the staff are all foreign, our waitress struggled to understand our requests. Hardly any tea and coffee poured for us. The food was just awful - a selection of small glass jars containing purees and a pile of very sweet childrens cakes. We paid the enormous bill / service charge and left feeling very disppointed and hungry. Absolute rubbish!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
YenniM, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this review, March 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am very disappointed to hear that your recent experience at the Met Bar was less then satisfactory.

Our Afternoon DeLight concept has been immensely successful as it offers an alternative to the more traditional afternoon tea offerings in London. The menu combines healthy interpretations of old classics that will appeal to modern lifestyles. The delicious selection of sweet and savory cupcakes, fruit scones, and ‘no-bread sandwiches’ are made using healthful alternatives including flour substitutes, and low fat crème fraîche. Fresh fruit purées replace unrefined sugars. Olive oil is  used instead of butter, as well as natural, organic and locally sourced produce wherever possible.

So even though our cupcakes are indeed colorful and “fun” they are also a healthy option. We have also applied our famous COMO Shambhala cuisine to the afternoon tea which is the  COMO's healthy living concept that spans environments, services and products, offering a full range of experiences that challenge and inspire us to greater wellbeing.

We are proud of this concept, especially our bread-less sandwiches. The thought of stripping a sandwich down to its tasty essentials and serving it in a glass is very appealing to many guests. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would also like to apologise that the service appears to have been less  than attentive . Please be assured that your feedback will be reviewed with our team members, which is an integral part of developing and improving the experience we offer. Although our employees are from various different countries we set high standards for the level of English  required, as we believe this is essential. Our afternoon tea team receives positive feedback on a regular basis.

The Met Bar undergoes a soft refurbishment twice a year as it is a very busy environment, just this January we replaced the wooden floor and also the leather on the banquettes to keep the atmosphere fresh and good looking.

I do hope to welcome you back to the Metropolitan  in the near future.

Best regards

Edina Woerner
Hotel Manager
TEL AVIV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

its a great hotel with exellent service and staff.
good location , hip rooms ,great SPA .
i enjoyed the Nobu as well (stil one of the best restaurant in London).
WILL COME BACK SOON.
Y

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

Myself and my partner stayed at the Met for a couple of nights whilst on a 3 week trip to London, primarily due to the proximity of Hyde Park which had the ‘Winter Wonderland’ on at the time. We were aware that it is a ‘Boutique’ hotel which, albeit highly rated, we often feel are a little disappointing. However, we were pleasantly surprised - everything was excellent! We paid for a standard room but received an Executive room which was highly spacious, clean, modern and had amazing views over the park. Reception and concierge were second to none, so so helpful and knowledgeable. For example, we wanted to dine at the Hard Rock café just around the corner with friends, but we walked past and there was a HUGE queue (circa 2 hours). We asked concierge for alternatives but they whipped out a ‘queue jump pass’ which did exactly what it said on the tin - we were seated at the first available table. Admittedly we felt a little guilty strolling past everyone but hey ho, we got over it whilst tucking into the ribs!

We also both had spa treatments with Sam (spa manager I think?) and she was simply WONDERFUL – bright, bubbly, welcoming and my girlfriend couldn’t stop raving about her treatments. Definitely worth a visit.

We will definitely return when next back in London and we can be pretty fussy over hotels!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2010

It was great to be able to find a modern boutique hotel in London which boasts excellent sized rooms. Often rooms are small and look like Laura Ashley has exploded in it - not that there is anything wrong with this.

The hotel is in a magic location across from Hyde Park in the middle of Mayfair. As it was booked through Amex Centurion I received an upgrade to a Metropolitan Room which was minimalist but a great size. It had a balcony (locked during winter) and I had a beautiful view across to the park. Furnishings were of light wood and cream and were all functional. It was also great that there was free Wi-Fi.

The bathroom was quite small and the shower was in the bath. I have no general issue with this except the bath tub was very narrow. There was certainly space to have installed a wider tub. Toiletries and towels were good. What is it these days with shampoos and body washes all having peppermint in them??? Lovely addition was heated towel rails. Good turn down service was provided.

Some extra brownie points go to the Concierge who rang to let me know he had contacted Qantas to confirm my flight was on time - nice.

On the downside, I could not for the life of me work out how to turn off the light in the bathroom! Closing the door was the next option. The oddest thing was there was no clock in the room. when I mentioned this at check out the person on reception indicated that many guests complained about this - so why not fix it. The bed was comfortable but not the best out there.

I had an early-ish pick up of 8:00 am so hit breakfast at 7:00 am. There was no one around for at least 10 minutes and eventually a staff member appeared. I accept that it was unusual for someone to be up that early on a bank holiday but I could not even find a way to attract attention. That said, the service was professional and the food beautiful.

Overall it was a fine experience but not a great experience for the calibre of the hotel which it holds itself out to be.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2010

My husband saved for a year to take me to this hotel and booked a 2 night stay for my 40th birthday Surprise. On arrival at 3.30pm our room was not ready, this was not a problem as we were offered a Complimentary Drink while we waited for an hour. However to add insult to injury I did not realise until I got home that we were charged for this!
On entering the room the bed throw was badly stained so I called room service who came and snatched the throw from the bed and hurried out of the room. I went after him and asked if he would be replacing it and he said 'Yes' but never did. After getting out of the shower I noticed the shower was leaking badly, so I called Housekeeping who advised me to 'use the towels to clean it up and then call them and they would replace the towels' I was totally disgusted, however, I knew my husband had put so much effort into making this special that I didnt want to keep complaining infront of him.
He paid £616 for 2 nights Bed & Breakfast, we only ate breakfast once and again to my amazement we were charged a Service Charge for breakfast on our bill.
I am a Director of a Travel Company, obviously the hotel did not know this, and I know my rights. However, I have never ever complained before in my life about any hotel I have stayed in and believe me I have stayed in over 300 hotels from Travelodge to 5 Star. My Birthday was completely ruined and the surprise turned out to be a nightmare.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
EdinaW_70, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this review, December 7, 2010
Dear Guest

I am disturbed to hear that your stay with us in July was less then satisfactory, especially as your husband had chosen the Metropolitan for a special occasion.

I am also terribly sorry that you are under the impression that we have not replied to your email, to follow up on this I hope you don’t mind advising me who your comments were addressed to. Please use my email address as follows: edina.woerner@metropolitan.como.bz.

If you could share with me the dates of your stay and your room number it would give me the possibility to follow up on the concerns you raised and hopefully take corrective action.

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention – feed back is very valuable as without it we are not able to improve our service standards.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards