“Great Hotel”

Ranked #54 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We would recommend the hotel most hightly, On arrival the reception staff were very welcoming and the hotel services not notch. All the staff were friendly, helpful and courteous. The room was comfortable with magnificent views over the city. The room was quiet and peaceful with an air of calm. We were looked after very well and we would not hestitate to return. The location of the hotel is ideal, some few minutes walk from Buckingham Palace and still in the select heart of the great city. We know that you will enjoy it as much as we did.

Room Tip: A room on the 9th floor overlooking the front of the hotel. Stunning views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewDThomson, Hotel Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your recommendation and for your terrific comments following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and your experience with us.

Please let me know when you are planning a return as I would be very pleased to look after your reservation myself. I look forward to hearing from you.

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Finnish first
Laconia, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Reception, concierge and other staff all top rate. Music in room. Great location. Five minute walk to many types of restaurants; "Cafe In" has great breakfasts. Free and strong WiFi. Soothing decor. Heated towels and heated mirror in bathroom so the mirror doesn't steam up. Just a lot of nice touches in this top quality hotel. I couldn't afford a full price room but found a good deal and staying here really added to the enjoyment of visiting London.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your glowing comments following your recent stay. I am delighted to hear how highly you valued your experience with us and your recommendation is hugely appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Metropolitan by COMO soon. Please contact me directly when you are due back to London and I shall handle your reservation myself.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

The location of this hotel is just outstanding. You really cannot find a better location in London, yet this property is so quiet that it feels tucked away. That struck me as unique for London standards.

Now to the stuff that matters.

Service here was truly exceptional. Friendly, even doting. The staff try very hard to go above and beyond and they exceeded my expectations.

The rooms are great; small but simple and luxurious. The bath products are memorable (I actually broke my own rule and brought them home). The shower is amazing. The towel warmer is a welcome treat. Free wi-fi made it even sweeter.

OK, now to the areas for improvement - just one major need for improvement and that is breakfast. The breakfast room is on the 1st floor next to Nobu. It feels like a sterile, converted conference room. Awkward energy; it is too quiet and the staff seem to almost hover around your table. The breakfast menu is well-priced for London but the portions are very small. Only two small thin pancakes, and mine were undercooked (like glue in the center). They had chopped one strawberry to garnish the plate. For 15GBP, I'd expect a bit more. Total for two adults with one plate of food, two pots of tea and juice was about 55GBP. Yes, that's 85USD for breakfast for two, and mine was not even edible.

Nevertheless, knowing that there is a Pret a few minutes walk in one direction and a Starbucks a few in the other, I can confidently say that I'd stay here again, I'd just skip their breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AndrewDThomson, Hotel Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am delighted to hear that you found a unique experience in the centre of London and that you enjoyed our location. Your comments about the service you received and your room experience are also incredibly pleasing. Many of our regular guests also comment on both of these aspects so it is wonderful that you felt the same way.

I am, however, very sorry to hear your comments about the breakfast room and the quality of the breakfast that you received. All food from the a la carte menu is made to order and it is very disappointing to hear that your pancakes were undercooked. If you would like to discuss this further with me I am at your disposal and I look forward to hearing from you so I can follow up accordingly.

Please let me know when you are planning a return to London as I would welcome the opportunity to look after your reservation myself and ensure that your stay is seamless in every way.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Nice sizeable room, got the view to Hyde park. Helpful staff. Lobby is a bit small but it functional.

The hotel's service are top notch, paying attention to our every little need. Since we have a baby along, they immediately provided the baby cot and microwave.

Can improve on the pillow thou, its way too soft.

Amazing restaurant @Nobu! Absolutely must try!

Will definitely come back again if visiting London.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much indeed for your fantastic comments following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, that you liked your room, our location and that you had a great experience in Nobu.
I am also particularly pleased to hear your comments about the service you received from the team and that we looked after your baby when you arrived. As part of COMO Hotels and Resorts we aim to be very family focused and I am very pleased to hear that we looked after you, and your family, during your stay.

Please let me know directly when you are planning a return to London. I would be delighted to look after your needs personally, ensure firmer pillows are placed in the room, and also ensure another truly unforgettable experience with us.

Northampton
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I can't fault this hotel, from the moment we pulled up outside the entrance where there was a waiting doorman, to the moment we left.
We were upgraded to a suite overlooking Hyde park and given complimentary cocktails.
Every member of staff we encountered was polite , happy and friendly.
The location is second to none.
After a wonderful experience we will only stay here in future

Room Tip: Facing Hyde park
1 Thank StephanieNorthampton
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am delighted to hear how highly you valued your experience with us from the moment you arrived at the hotel and that you were upgraded to a park facing suite throughout your stay.

We very much appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please let me know when you are planning a return as I would relish the chance to look after your booking personally and ensure another truly memorable stay.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our trip to London and it was an incredible experience. First off, the location couldn't be better. You are a five to ten minute walk to Chelsea, Kensington, Piccadilly, Covent Garden, the West End, Chinatown, Oxford Circus, etc. There are other hotels that are closer to these areas but unless you plan to spend your whole trip in Piccadilly or Chelsea, then you want a place that will get you everywhere and that's the Met. The hotel amenities are incredible and the rooms were very nice. Very comfortable, great fixtures, and everything you need. This is the cool hotel where rock stars stay when they visit London for concerts so rest easy that it's a luxurious place.

However the greatest thing about this place is the staff. Scott, the hotel manager, was there when we checked in and was standing at the desk every day we came in or out offering to help us with whatever we might need. Directions, a map, a recommendation, or just a chat about London and the culture of the city, he was incredible and my wife and I felt like he was a friend by the end of the week there. The other stand out that needs to be mentioned is the concierge Dominic. We got tickets to the most sought after, sold out show in the West End. The tickets were in the front five rows and all we said is what we want, how much we wanted to spend, and he took care of everything. He also came through with incredible reservations for high tea, and some incredible meals (one of which my wife and I can count as one of the best we've ever had ever.) Our trip was last minute and we showed up in London with no plans or itinerary and Scott and Dominic made sure we were taken care of and were able to see and do anything we wanted.

I can't recommend this place enough. We will never stay anywhere else. This is not just a great hotel, but a great London experience.

1 Thank ampageus
AndrewDThomson, Hotel Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments and for your recommendation following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am incredibly pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay so much and that you liked our location, your room as well as our in-room guest products.

It is also wonderful to hear how highly you valued your experience with the team, particularly Scott and Dominic. It is the staff that truly make the difference and in them we are very fortunate to have two very talented individuals. Many of our regular and loyal guests have also said the same so it is terrific that you felt the same way.

Please let me know when you are next planning a London visit as it would be my pleasure to arrange your reservation for you and make sure that you enjoy another fantastic stay with us.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

From the moment we checked in, we were given impeccable service. Hot towels at arrival, they honored our request for a higher floor (with a great view of the city) and wine and fruit waiting in our room (it was our anniversary) and that was just check-in. The room and hotel are great (rooms are a very nice size for London and bathrooms have towel warmers!) but the standouts are really the people. Our concierge, Dominic, was tasked with getting us fabulous dinner reservations and the hardest west end tix to obtain. 2 days later we were seeing Helen Mirren play the Queen in the 7th row and dining at Dinner by Heston Blumenthal. The hotel manager, Scott Wilson, was also exceptional, always going above and beyond. He was always helpful but more than anything he made us always feel at home in the hotel. We knew if there was ever anything we needed, he would take care of it for us. We were very sad to leave after such a wonderful experience and would definitely stay at the Met again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a lovely view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much indeed for your terrific feedback following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed so many elements of your stay and how highly your valued your experience with us.

I am particularly pleased to hear your comments about Dominic and Scott. It is the staff that often leave the longest impression on our guests and so it is fantastic that you felt that they really made the difference for you and that they enhanced your time in London. I shall certainly ensure your comments are shared with them both.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Please let me know when you are planning a return as it would be my pleasure to look after the details of your booking myself so I can ensure another memorable stay.

I hope to hear from you soon.