“Getting a bit tired”

Ranked #54 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Greenock, United Kingdom
“Getting a bit tired”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Been staying here since it opened. Love the place, the people and the service. Special place in my heart for lots and lots of reasons. However the rooms could do with some updating, which despite new carpets and upgraded bathrooms, are beginning to feel tired

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank VonUngernSternberg
Andrew T, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. It is always a pleasure to hear from a loyal and regular Metropolitan guest. I am delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us so much and that the team and the service offered remains special for you.

I am sorry, however, that you felt the hotel was looking a little tired. With regards to the hotel in general we do have a rolling plan of refurbishment as well as longer terms plans to keep the hotel fresh and current.

Please let me know when you are due to come back as I would be delighted to look after your booking and allocate your room personally. I look forward to hearing from you.

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Finnish first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is the first time I stayed at the Metropolitan but after 25 years of traveling to London, it is my favorite hotel, not because of the rooms or the location, both of which are very good but because of the exceptional service. Their people are the best. I was made to feel very welcome and they were most helpful. The free wifi was very much appreciated. I really enjoyed my stay. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback following your first experience at the Metropolitan by COMO. It is incredibly pleasing to hear how much you valued the time you stayed with us, as well as the service that you received. Many of our regular guests also comment on the service at the hotel so it excellent that you felt the same upon your first stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and that this will be the first stay of many. Please let me know when you are planning your next London visit as I would be delighted to look after your booking myself. I look forward to hearing from you.

Ilford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Having never stayed in a 5 star hotel let alone in Mayfair, I was anticipating a wonderful experience in a great hotel, brilliant location and a room with a view to die for. In reality, we were greeted by a wonderful receptionist who couldn't have been more helpful - hot towels to freshen up on arrival were welcome. Even though we had an amazing deal to come and stay here, our treatment by the staff was second to none.

I must say we were slightly disappointed at the bland state of our room with no view except the air conditioning units of the Hilton next door, and as we had originally booked a superior room which we doubted this was, after mentioning it to reception, we were moved upstairs to a much better room. This was just a bit larger than our original room with an extra table and chair and a bath as well as shower and a lovely view over London - the Shard and London Eye by night are quite spectacular to look at.

The bathroom was exceptional with that massive powerful shower and lovely toiletries but the decor of the room was so bland - dare I say - Premier Inn decor. Surely, a bit of colour or a picture on the wall would make the room more appealing.

Like most people, I like a cup of tea in the morning and shock horror, no hospitality tray. When we rang down to Housekeeping, they immediately sent up a tray with tea, coffee and water which was much appreciated.

Unfortunately, we decided not to sample the breakfast at this hotel due to the expense at £28 per person but I'm sure it would have been great.

Overall, this hotel is ideally situated near Hyde Park, Marble Arch and theatres. Also, very near to a tube.

If you have never visited London before, this is the perfect hotel to stay at if you can get a good deal, although we live in London it was still a treat.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the city or park - the higher the room, the better the view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew T, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased indeed that you enjoyed your time with us, that you enjoyed our location and, most importantly, the service that you experienced from the team.

I am delighted that Reception was able to change your room for you and that you enjoyed the view of London from it. As you discovered complimentary tea and coffee making facilities are available upon request and it is a shame that we did not explain this to you when you arrived. I am also sorry that the design of our rooms was not to your liking.

I am very pleased that these issues did not spoil your stay and your recommendation is hugely appreciated. Please let me know when you are planning a return visit to London as I would be delighted to look after your reservation for you personally.

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Since my California daughter is abroad studying in London, I wanted to visit her to bring her a taste of home. When we arrived, the clean, cozy, and comfy room had a shower that rivaled any other one with its powerful stream of water--it was almost a spirital experience. The hotel staff made us feel like royalty as they helped us navigate around London. With it's superb location, which was one Tube stop from Harrod's, and a brisk walk to Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, and Westminister Abbey, we car-loving Americans had no problem. In the morning, we ran the incredible running trails of Hyde Park, so who needed the state of the art work-out room. I did love, though, the free water and apples that allowed us to enjoy a more normal American snack found in the gym. We also discovered The Hard Rock Cafe only a quarter of a mile away and were able to indulge in a delicous salad (something my daughter had been craving). All of these attributes were made more magical by the concierges, Jimmy and Dominic, who worked diligently to find a movie we requested and anything else we needed. Dominic also printed out my daughter's term paper and had it waiting for her as she took a cab to class the morning we checked out. Finally, I must mention the handsome and helpful doormen who always seemed like greeting us through-out the day was the best job in England!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely comments following your recent stay at the Metropolitan by COMO. I am delighted that we enhanced a special time for you and your daughter and to hear how highly you valued your experience with us.

I am particularly pleased to hear your comments about the team at the hotel, especially Jimmy and Dominic on Concierge. As many of our frequent guests comment it is the staff that truly make the difference and in Jimmy and Dominic we have two very talented individuals. I shall certainly make sure that your comments are shared and I am sure the Doormen will also be most pleased.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please do let me know personally when you are planning a return as I would welcome the chance to look after your booking myself and ensure another memorable stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My partner booked a romantic night away for valentines day through Hotwire so didn't specifically select this hotel, but we couldn't have been more pleased with what we got.

We were greeted by a very polite and friendly doorman who insisted on helping with my bags, the receptionist who checked us is was very pleasant and helpful and even showed us up to our room. He asked what we had planned for our visit and offered to help us with any recommendations or give us directions.

The room was lovely - nice size, big and comfy bed, nice bathroom with waterfall shower and perfect location right next to the Four Seasons and Hilton in Park Lane.

To make the most of our stay we planned things to do for 2 days around our overnight stay but we had bags with us that we didn't want to traipse around London with, so we asked to leave our bags with the concierge before our allotted check in time and again when we checked out which was no problem at all and the staff were very accommodating.

Would highly recommend!

Thanks Metropolitan for making our Valentines day :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely comments about your recent stay. I am very pleased indeed to hear that you enjoyed your Valentine’s experience with us so much. I am also very pleased that you liked our location and your room so much as well as the service that the team offered.

Your recommendation is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Metropolitan by COMO soon. Please contact me personally when you are planning a return as I would welcome the opportunity to look after your reservation for you myself.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked a last minute night away at the Metropolitan and had a fabulous stay, I have to say the staff really stood out in terms of service, we were greeted by the doorman who took our luggage and introduced us to the receptionist Valeria, who took a genuine interest in us and what had brought us to London, she upgraded us to a fabulous suite and gave us a full tour, organised for the concierge to book a table for us and for housekeeping to unlock the patio door so we could use the balcony. She was equally friendly and attentive when we saw her after our return from shopping and when we came down to the bar for drinks. My only criticism of the room was that there was a coffee machine but no milk/creamer and no tea if you weren't a coffee drinker, it was also nice to see free wi-fi in the rooms, something you expect from this class of hotel, but don't always get.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew T, Manager at COMO Metropolitan London, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such fabulous feedback about your recent visit to the Metropolitan by COMO. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you liked your upgraded suite. I am also delighted that Valeria at Reception stood out for you. It is the staff that truly make the difference for our guests and in Valeria we have a very talented individual. I shall certainly pass your comments on.

I am sorry that we did not make it clear to you that tea making facilities are available on request with our compliments but very relieved that this did not mar your stay.
Please contact me directly when you are planning your next London visit as I would be delighted to look after your reservation myself.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

...there is a but....we write reviews for everywhere we stay, eat and visit and have been for a while now....rarely do we have a 'but'....

I booked Metropolitan through hotwire, we do sometimes....and have to say that for the location you can...sort of....understand the normal prices....and here comes the but....

the hotel room we had did not have tea & coffee making facilities nor did it have a whirlpool bath.....as described on hotwire nor did we have 'park views' (unless we wanted to pay an additional £60 per night)

Tea & coffee making facilities may not seem a big thing....it is one of my biggest niggles in a hotel.....yes yes....there is room service.....but £10 to £15 for a pot of tea and coffee....nice treat but not something i want to pay for each time i fancy a cuppa!

Don't like booking something only to arrive to find we've not quite got what we booked...

Anyhow....negatives aside....

Very clean room, very friendly and helpful staff (tv broke on 2nd day, IT staff swiftly replaced and were extremley friendly), room service staff (needed tea and coffee when in the room) were also friendly as was the member of staff who brought my good lady her 'breakfast in bed'

Not a bad overall stay....

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you very much indeed for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased indeed to hear that you liked your room and that you found the staff both friendly and helpful.

With regards to your comments complimentary tea and coffee making facilities are available on request and I am very sorry that this was not explained to you upon arrival. We take all guest feedback very seriously indeed and are now in the process of auditing all our third party partner websites to ensure that there are no inconsistencies in the future.

Please let me know when you are planning a return London visit as I would be delighted to look after your booking personally and ensure that your experience with us is memorable for all the right reasons.