“Mixed feelings...”

One Aldwych
Ranked #40 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Mixed feelings...”
Reviewed July 19, 2006

We stayed for one night in July for our wedding anniversary. We had recently been for a week at the sister hotel in Antigua, Carlisle Bay so had high expectations. We booked an executive room on their package for £209 ex VAT ( watch out for the VAT on top- irritating- why not include it in the rate like everyone else..) but on arrival we were upgraded to suite 500. I have read the most recent reviewer who seemed to have been upgraded to the same suite so perhaps they struggle to shift it while the area which it overlooks is a noisy building site! ( btw it looks like there is still a lot of work to do on that site so be warned) It had a small balcony with table and chairs and to be fair we were there on a Sunday night in a heatwave and so it was pleasant to sit there and have a few drinks.

What impressed us?
Excellent service- ok, we were not there for too long but every member of staff who dealt with us was very helpful/ pleasant courteous.
nice lobby bar- peaked at being quite busy when we headed out around 7.30. you walk thru it to get to hotel reception which is neatly tucked into a corner so you don't feel like you are sitting in a lobby
Room service breakfast-good- and fairly prompt. try the ricotta and spinach home made sausages
We didn't eat in their restaurants
Location is excellent- central for walking everywhere though not right next to a tube if that's important to you

Less impressed by...
...the suite itself. Reading other comments I guess I am glad that we had a lot more space than the regular rooms. There was a big lobby which led off to anonther loo, a kitchenette ( with microwave?!), the living room, the bedroom and........a private gym. This is well located as a business hotel so if you were stuck in London for a week or so for work ( and had a big expense budget) then this would be ideal. You could work out at 2am when the hotel gym is closed, while microwaving a ready meal! The bedroom part of the suite was a really nice bedroom, average size, comfy bed, minimalist decor. All secondary glazed so no real noise despite the hotel being situated at a busy junction. Good bathroom but funny layout with a pillar getting in your way but very good Living Nature products
The general impression from the suite that it was not very homely. The defence to that would be I guess that it is meant to be minimalist but you should check out the room pics for Carlisle Bay and you will see how minimalist can be done in a way that works. This suite felt kind of cheap- cheap looking sofa, rather understyled room I suppose. Maybe that is ok for the business market and, well, we didn't pay full rate for it- but I think it is important that people are aware. I felt that a hotel of this standard would have a suite which would impress in all respects and I suppose I felt that it was a bit of a half baked effort.

Pool- basement pool, looks good. would be fine for thrashing up and down doing lengths but something about the room was a bit echoey and noisy so if you are someone who likes a gentle swim to chill out, I'm not sure this is your place. There was a guy in having swimming lessons when we were there.

Would we stay there again?- for decent rate of around £200 a night and for a short break then yes I would- simply because for a very stylish place and great location it is an ok deal ( we recently spent a week in the Radisson Edwardian at South Kensington for around £160 a night and it is truly awful for that price so in London I guess it is all relative).

It was not a patch on Carlisle Bay- I know we are talking very different locations but the design of the rooms- which is partly what you pay for- didn't measure up.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank Elkey72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed July 16, 2006

I am a London resident, but needed to stay in Central London for one evening. My first choice, The Covent Garden Hotel, was fully booked, so I headed to One Aldwych. I was upgraded to an enormous corner suite which was a delight and had everything one could ask for and quite a lot I'd never even thought of asking for! It seems slightly churlish to complain, especially about something beyond the hotel's control, but because of the design of the building this opulent suite had a terrible and potentially noisy view over a building site. If I were a visitor who had paid the enormous rack rate for the suite, I'd be a bit fed up that all I got to see from my window was the redevelopment of a plot on Aldwych that looks like a war zone - maybe they warn guests when they book that suite, I hope so.

I had dinner at Axis which was nice, but not much more in all honesty - the restaurant is located in an interesting room, but it slightly lacks atmophere and whilst the food was pleasing, it was far from memorable which for the price might be expected. I certainly would advise visitors to London who are staying at the hotel to look further afield for fine dining.

All in all though, a terrific stay - it doesn't beat The Covent Garden Hotel for me and I would still head there before anywhere else in Central London, but that is I suspect more a reflection of personal taste and preference. I am sure anyone who stays at One Aldwych will have a wonderful time and enjoy an elegant, discrete and warm welcome in a beautiful environment.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business