“Service, food and decor wonderful”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #39 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Bedfordshireclanger
“Service, food and decor wonderful”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

The starters were beautiful and different from any menu we had had in the past. Excellent. On the mains the lamb melted in ones mouth. However, the pastry chef pulled all the stops out and presented a wonderful selection of sweets. I cannot nor want to fault any of it. The unlimited prosecco kept on coming. The service was spot on, and unobtrusive. Thanks to the chefs and servers.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Bedfordshireclanger

Thank you for your review of Brunch in Axis Restaurant at One Aldwych. We do appreciate your feedback and our Executive Chef, Dominic Teague and his team are delighted to read your comments.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kostas Sfaltos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My Husband and I recently had a 6 night stay at "One Aldwych". Our stay was faultless I did a lot of research so I new I would not be dissappointed.
We arrived early in the morning and were greeted with a complimentary tea & coffee in the guest lounge whilst our room was being prepared.
The Hotel is is a fantastic location with tour buses at front door - rooms were very quiet and impeccably clean and tastefully decorated.
Sameena on the front desk was very helpful and as our stay was for 6 nights very kindly upgraded our room to a suite.
All the staff were extremely polite, professional and extremely helpful.
I have a very high standard and WAS NOT disappointed.
Meals were of a very high standard and breakfast was excellent.
I would love to return if I ever have the oppurtunity.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a bigger room is you can afford it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank basham1960
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear basham 1960

Thank you for taking the time to write following your recent visit to One Aldwych.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed a faultless stay and I wish to thank you for all your kind comments, Thank you also for your personal mention of Sameena in our front desk team.

We do hope that you will have an opportunity to return in the not too distant future.

Handcross, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was bought this treat as a present for my birthday and we arrived to be greeted by the doorman who opened the cab door for us and saw us into the hotel. We were early and the table wasn't quite ready so we were shown to the bar and asked if we would like to see the drinks menu. Cocktails were pricey but no more than you would expect for this quality of establishment. When we got the tea it was Amazing! Any adjustments to the menu could be catered for and more was offered if you wanted it. The savouries were laid out beautifully and tasted just as good especially the tomato tart and the onion bread. The sweet part, well where do I start? I'm not going to spoil it by saying everything that was there but it was all fresh, tasty and plenty of and again more if you wanted it. Staff were attentive but not constantly at your shoulder even though they were busy. Would definitely do it again. If you go, don't be fooled by the Candy Floss......the flavour may not be what you expect!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tess F

Thank you for your great feedback on our Afternoon Tea Inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your birthday treat and I do hope that there will be another occasion when we can welcome you back to One Aldwych.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I was a bit wary as I had booked using American Express points. AmEx then uses sites like travelocity to book the room. Instead of receiving a cold reception or subpar room, I was greeting by a charming gentleman at reception and led to a lovely room with a comfortable sitting area and fresh fruit on the desk. My daughter (a student studying in London) joined me soon after and we both enjoyed our stay tremendously. The bathroom was wonderful, and I still dream of that bed. At first I thought it might only have seemed so comfortable because I had flown from Los Angeles and was exhausted when I finally got to sleep on the first night. I now credit that amazingly comfortable bed with helping me get over my jet lag and enjoy my trip from the start. We ordered room service both mornings and both days it was delivered by a lovely young woman whose name escapes me. She is originally from Hungary and is a student herself. She was so professional, yet warm and friendly at the same time--a great combination! The location was so convenient to many sites, and access to the tube was also easy. I was sorry to leave the hotel and look forward to returning again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear mbhbe

It is a pleasure to read your review of One Aldwych and we are delighted that you enjoyed a restful stay. Thank you for all your terrific feedback and especially for your kind comments regarding Klaudia in our Room Service team.

We very much look forward to your next visit.

warwickshire
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed at One Aldwych with my husband and two young adult children. The staff are outstanding for their courtesy and helpfulness. The hotel lobby has the feel of a busy but uncrowded exclusive city bar. As such it was vibrant and comfortable, but not intimate. We stayed in standard twin rooms which were very well appointed and comfortable. The sheets were so well starched that turning over in one's sleep was actually quite a noisy affair. Whilst there was nothing to criticise, once again the bedroom held an atmosphere of efficiency rather than cosiness. The hotel reservations staff had remembered my request for fresh milk and coffee making facilities to be provided in the room. These were provided but disappointingly there were no biscuits. There were two apples and bananas appeared the next day when I requested them. I had explained that I would be celebrating my birthday during our stay and a piece of cheesecake was brought to my room, together with two notes - one welcoming us to the hotel and the other wishing me a happy birthday. The bathroom was fine. The soap, bath/shower gel, shampoo and conditioner were lovely. The pool was disappointingly narrow but the chlorine free water made it pleasant to swim in. It was useful that there were bathroom scales in the ladies changing room as well as in the en suite bathroom. The gym was very well equipped. We had one breakfast in the hotel. Again, what was outstanding was the service from our waitress. The food took a little longer to appear than we expected but was perfectly nice.

One Aldwych is a hotel with a very fine reputation. It is ideally located for a holiday in central London. Nevertheless, since the cost of a stay there is so very high I could not help but feel slightly disappointed. Space is at a premium in central London and both the pool and the standard bedrooms were just a little smaller than I had expected. The hotel lived up to its reputation in terms of quality and good service. That said, it felt a little as though it lacked just a bit of soul. Our stay was efficiently managed, and services were provided with pleasant smiles from everybody. The whole thing, however, was a bit like the starched sheets. They didn't need to be so perfect and would have actually been nicer and more comfortable if they hadn't been.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dishmop
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear dishmop

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent birthday visit. I am pleased to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay and I wish to thank you for your many positive comments, especially regarding our helpful team.

It is always interesting and helpful for us to receive our guest’s feedback and I appreciate all your thoughts. With regard to our sheets, our Housekeeper assures that we do not use starch, however advises that new sheets can sometimes feel a little starchy, which we will address. With regard to our rooms we have a variety of types and sizes available, which are often less expensive during quieter periods.

We do hope that you will consider returning and in the meantime, thank you again for writing.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I had the most wonderful time at One Aldwych. A stylish, contemporary and elegant hotel but the outstanding feature was the staff who I found to be friendly, courteous and genuinely interested in my welfare. The rooms were beautifully appointed and serviced, the pool a real bonus for anyone who likes to swim for exercise as it was long enough for laps. The location was perfect for access to Covent Garden and theatres. The floral arrangements throughout the hotel were exquisite and ever changing - particularly lovely in the spring. Don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Spring20142014

Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent stay at One Aldwych. We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time with us. I very much appreciate all your comments, especially regarding our outstanding team, including our in-house florist Mark Siredzuk.

We do hope that there will be an opportunity to see you again.

Toronto
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Walk to Covent Garden and the Opera, stroll to all the shows you might want to see. Walk to the old pubs at the Inns of Court Bus stops across the street with direct service to Shoreditch.

Very comfortable not over designed rooms. The lobby bar is a great space.

We have stayed many times in Mayfair and wanted to go East (into the West End). Highly recommended

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear marekw

Thank you for your comments and recommendation of One Aldwych. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and made the most of our terrific location in Covent Garden.

We hope to welcome you again soon.