“Charlie and the chocolate factory - Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #39 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Charlie and the chocolate factory - Afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Had a great experience with the Charlie and the chocolate factory themed afternoon tea. The Charlie cocktail was delicious to kick off the experience. The sandwiches were your standard for any afternoon tea, but when it gets to the sweets, wow! The creativity, presentation and taste were all AMAZING! Would thoroughly recommend to people who are going to see the show in the evening, or if you fancy a different twist on the standard afternoon tea in London.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Greg T
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Greg T

We were delighted to welcome you to One Aldwych and thank you your fantastic comments regarding our Afternoon Tea inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I do hope we will see you at One Aldwych again soon.

Kostas Sfaltos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night July 2013.
The room was spacious for London and had excellent service. We were given a free glass of champagne on arrival in the guests area.
My favourite parts were the cocktails and swimming pool. The location is great for theatres and restaurants.
Definitely the best hotel we have stayed at in London.

Stayed July 2013
Dear mackay-7

Thank you for your review of One Aldwych, I am thrilled to hear that we are your favoured hotel in London. Thank you for mentioning the cocktails in our Lobby Bar and our chlorine-free swimming pool with its underwater music.

I do hope that there is an occasion when we can welcome you back again.

leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Chose the hotel due to tripadvisor recommendation aswell as location and wasn't disapointed, it was expensive but you get what you pay for and it was my partners 40th so I pushed the boat out.
Right from arriving the place is just special from the flowers and plants to the best sound insulating windows I've ever experienced.
couldn't really find a fault!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear dcv888

Thank you for writing following your stay at One Aldwych. I am happy to hear that we met your expectations and appreciate your positive feedback.

Thank you also for mentioning our wonderful floral displays by our in-house Florist, Mark Siredzuk.

We hope that we will see you again soon.

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I booked this as a gift for one of my friends to celebrate her 70th birthday. There were 5 ladies in the party and from the booking to the conclusion of the afternoon I was very impressed with the whole experience. On arrival we were escorted in the lift to the Indigo Restaurant on the mezzanine floor and our coats were removed for storage. We were shown to our table in the window by a very pleasant, helpful young waiter who explained the menu and choice of drinks. I would recommend the "Cocktail Charlie"! There was so much food to enjoy and it was great fun. We were even offered more but declined. I had explained on booking about the birthday (not the age) and after some early discreet enquiries a large plate was brought to the table at the end of the tea with an appropriate inscription in chocolate and a small decorated cake with one lit candle. The restaurant wasn't busy and we weren't rushed in any way. Not an inexpensive afternoon but definitely worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear BookwormKent

Thank you for taking the time to write following your visit to Indigo Restaurant.

Our Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed Afternoon Tea is designed for all ages to enjoy and I am delighted that it enhanced your birthday celebrations.

I do hope there will be another opportunity when we can welcome you all again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

I visited One Aldwych, just for pre-dinner cocktails. I was early and opted for a coffee first in the lounge while I waited for my friend to arrive. The waiter spilled a little bit of coffee in the saucer and offered to get a fresh one but I just mopped it up as no harm done - then when I asked for the bill, I was told no charge! I then asked if there were likely to be tables free in the bar and the waiter said he'd check - when I went through to the bar a few minutes later, I found that they'd reserved a table for me. It's not a cheap option (but nowhere is in central London...) but the staff were lovely and it's rare to receive such good service on a busy Saturday evening.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Alison B

Thank you for your review following your visit to The Lobby Bar at One Aldwych.

I am pleased to hear that you were looked after by our team and I do appreciate your comments. I trust that you and your friend had a lovely evening and I hope that we will see you again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel for my birthday along with the using the spa facilities.
I had a massage which was so relaxing the masseuse had magic fingers!!! The pool was lovely along with the sauna & steam room.
The room was very clean but extremely small I got breakfast to my room the next morning & I could barely fit the tray onto the table it was quite ridiculous.
The location is central London so there is nowhere to park & hardly anywhere to stop if you are in a cab/taxi & it is difficult to find because it doesn't stand out.
It's next to the lyceum theatre which is handy for those who want a theatre, dinner & hotel package.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Neschka

Thank you for writing a review following your recent birthday visit.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Health Club and appreciate your positive comments regarding your spa treatment. With regard to our rooms, should you plan a return visit, we have a number of larger room categories that you may wish to consider. In the meantime, thank you again for your comments.

Knutsford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Location is great, the staff were really friendly and helpful but it feels like a "Crowne Plaza" or some corporate chain… it just isn't luxurious enough or unique enough to justify the cost.

I booked a large room to allow space for my young daughter, so three of us could share a room. I was quoted the cost of two adults (about £850 for two nights… kids under 16 are free) and included notes about my daughter, but charged for three adults (£1,000+) and despite a brief protest couldn't be bothered making a scene. This was exacerbated when we got to the room and they hadn't made a bed up for her.

I'm not here to promote other upmarket hotels in London, but I have stopped at others which are much better. It's also noisy as hell!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Marthall_Nick
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Marthall_Nick

Thank you for getting in touch following your recent visit. I appreciate your feedback and your comments regarding our location and helpful team.

I am most concerned that there was confusion regarding your booking arrangements and I would very much like to address this. I hope you don’t mind if I therefore contact you directly and I will be pleased to look into this matter personally.

Thank you again for writing.