“"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" Afternoon Tea”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #42 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I booked this as a gift for one of my friends to celebrate her 70th birthday. There were 5 ladies in the party and from the booking to the conclusion of the afternoon I was very impressed with the whole experience. On arrival we were escorted in the lift to the Indigo Restaurant on the mezzanine floor and our coats were removed for storage. We were shown to our table in the window by a very pleasant, helpful young waiter who explained the menu and choice of drinks. I would recommend the "Cocktail Charlie"! There was so much food to enjoy and it was great fun. We were even offered more but declined. I had explained on booking about the birthday (not the age) and after some early discreet enquiries a large plate was brought to the table at the end of the tea with an appropriate inscription in chocolate and a small decorated cake with one lit candle. The restaurant wasn't busy and we weren't rushed in any way. Not an inexpensive afternoon but definitely worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear BookwormKent

Thank you for taking the time to write following your visit to Indigo Restaurant.

Our Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed Afternoon Tea is designed for all ages to enjoy and I am delighted that it enhanced your birthday celebrations.

I do hope there will be another opportunity when we can welcome you all again soon.

Kostas Sfaltos

Write a ReviewReviews (2,221)

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I visited One Aldwych, just for pre-dinner cocktails. I was early and opted for a coffee first in the lounge while I waited for my friend to arrive. The waiter spilled a little bit of coffee in the saucer and offered to get a fresh one but I just mopped it up as no harm done - then when I asked for the bill, I was told no charge! I then asked if there were likely to be tables free in the bar and the waiter said he'd check - when I went through to the bar a few minutes later, I found that they'd reserved a table for me. It's not a cheap option (but nowhere is in central London...) but the staff were lovely and it's rare to receive such good service on a busy Saturday evening.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Alison B

Thank you for your review following your visit to The Lobby Bar at One Aldwych.

I am pleased to hear that you were looked after by our team and I do appreciate your comments. I trust that you and your friend had a lovely evening and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I visited this hotel for my birthday along with the using the spa facilities.
I had a massage which was so relaxing the masseuse had magic fingers!!! The pool was lovely along with the sauna & steam room.
The room was very clean but extremely small I got breakfast to my room the next morning & I could barely fit the tray onto the table it was quite ridiculous.
The location is central London so there is nowhere to park & hardly anywhere to stop if you are in a cab/taxi & it is difficult to find because it doesn't stand out.
It's next to the lyceum theatre which is handy for those who want a theatre, dinner & hotel package.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Neschka

Thank you for writing a review following your recent birthday visit.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Health Club and appreciate your positive comments regarding your spa treatment. With regard to our rooms, should you plan a return visit, we have a number of larger room categories that you may wish to consider. In the meantime, thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Location is great, the staff were really friendly and helpful but it feels like a "Crowne Plaza" or some corporate chain… it just isn't luxurious enough or unique enough to justify the cost.

I booked a large room to allow space for my young daughter, so three of us could share a room. I was quoted the cost of two adults (about £850 for two nights… kids under 16 are free) and included notes about my daughter, but charged for three adults (£1,000+) and despite a brief protest couldn't be bothered making a scene. This was exacerbated when we got to the room and they hadn't made a bed up for her.

I'm not here to promote other upmarket hotels in London, but I have stopped at others which are much better. It's also noisy as hell!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Marthall_Nick
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Marthall_Nick

Thank you for getting in touch following your recent visit. I appreciate your feedback and your comments regarding our location and helpful team.

I am most concerned that there was confusion regarding your booking arrangements and I would very much like to address this. I hope you don’t mind if I therefore contact you directly and I will be pleased to look into this matter personally.

Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at the One Aldwych on the 14th Feb as part of our annual London Valentines theatre trip.
We always stay in an nice hotel near the theatre and chose this one this year. We booked an exec room, the room was clean, the bed comfortable and the bathroom was lovely.- Now for the bad - There was no tea and coffee facilities (no instructions for tea tray either) a half bottle of white wine from mini bar was £29.00!!! yes a half bottle of white wine from mini bar was £29.00!!! We wanted a morning up of tea with A slice of toast - £19.00 yes a morning up of tea with A slice of toast - £19.00!!!! Even the Dorchester lets you have a tea tray! We had afternoon tea and the service was so very slow - we even shared what we had with the couple beside us because we all were waiting so long!There is also a 12% service charge on everything including the morning tea!- when did it jump to 12%???
The reception staff are lovely - no complaints there but in future we will stay away from the One Aldwych because....it isnt!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else or bring a flask
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz H

Dear Liz H

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit, I appreciate your many positive comments regarding the hotel and our team.

With regard to tea and coffee facilities, we offer coffee makers as a permanent feature in many of our rooms, and tea and coffee making facilities are available to all our guests on request. I am so sorry that this was not offered to you and I will certainly discuss the matter with our team. Reference our pricing, we have always endeavoured to be priced fairly against our competitors and we remain in line with other five star hotels in our immediate area.

Our sincere apologies for any disappointment and thank you again for taking the time to write.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Took my wife here for the chocolate tea on her birthday (4th February) with daughter in toe and can without hesitation say it was excellent and good value for money.
The food is fantastic and we were offered extra helpings of the things we liked most. The sugary deserts can be overkill if not careful but hey they so delicious you just want more.
They even ought out a little chocolate bithday cake with candle which was nice.
Italian server was brilliant (sorry didn't take her name) and made the experience even better. Thanks.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear Brian B

Thank you for writing following your visit to The Lobby Bar for our Afternoon Tea ‘Inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your birthday celebrations and had a successful afternoon.

Thank you again and we hope we will welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

We arrived in torrential rain and the concierge ran out to our taxi and ushered us into the hotel under his umbrella. This set the tone for our brief stay: exceptional service. I had inadvertently booked a twin rather than a double bedded room, when I spotted this during check-in the receptionist immediately invited us to have a complimentary tea or coffee in the lobby while they found us a new room. We chose mint tea, made from fresh mint - delicious! All the staff without exception were first rate. We had lunch and dinner in the Axis and Indigo restaurants, both good and fairly priced. The facilities are good, the location is excellent - right in the middle of buzzing, vibrant Covent Garden - and the prices while not cheap are reasonable for a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Lucullus2013

It is a pleasure to read your review of One Aldwych and thank you for sharing such positive comments, especially regarding our first rate team.

We do hope that we will see you again and perhaps for a longer stay should an opportunity arise.