“Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Afternoon Tea, Reliving the Childhood Dream!”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #42 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 24, 2013

A full review, including pictures is here on my blog: http://sisterhooddiaries.com/2013/07/24/charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory/

Last Sunday I attended the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory afternoon tea with a group of 3 other friends and cannot compliment the creative culinary experience and stellar service enough! We indulged in the fabulous food and settled into the cozy, comfortable environment for over three hours, never being made to feel rushed in any way.
The staff catered to my dairy-intolerance better than I could have ever imagined; I was able to enjoy every decadent treat along with my friends. As a matter of fact, I think my added macaroons were quite the stars of the show!
I have booked this tea next month for some guests coming in to town as well as it's a perfect London event to impress visitors with and a great pairing with the theatre show!

1  Thank Maura91
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Maura91

Thank you for posting your review and additional detailed blog following your recent visit to the Lobby Bar at One Aldwych.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea Inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - the new musical at the nearby Theatre Royal Drury Lane. Thank you for all your lovely comments and we look forward to welcoming you back next month.

There are newer reviews for One Aldwych

Reviewed July 23, 2013

One Aldwych is an amazing hotel that served as a quiet respite from the busy, fast-moving city of London. The staff could not have been more accomodating, professional or gracious during our 4 night stay. The guest lounge, hidden off of the lobby, is a quiet, beautifully decorated oasis, saved just for hotel guests. It was a lovely place to have breakfast before starting a day of touring. The doormen practically dove for the door, seeming to truly enjoy having the opportunity to open the door for guests. The concierge was attentive, helpful and full of suggestions. The room was comfortable, with all of the amenities necessary for a pleasant stay. The shower stall was small, but we forgive the hotel that one flaw, considering that beside the shower, was an amazing bathtub. We look forward to the opportunity to return in the future!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear bethaa

It was a pleasure to welcome you to One Aldwych and thank you for your review. We are delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy breakfast in our private guest-only lounge. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our staff and especially our Concierge and door teams.

We do hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

On a whim we decided to stay at One Aldwych instead of our usual hotel as we had been recommended to experience the tea in their lobby bar. It was a very good idea.
A great location, wonderful staff who provide excellent but relaxed,friendly service,a stylish, minimalist bedroom but the Lobby bar was the cream of the creation. We had tea there and if you are open minded you will find it the best in London. I have to be careful with my diet so when I break the rules I need it to be worthwhile and this really was. Later we had cocktails and they were both inventive and delicious.
A hundred room hotel that treats you like a boutique hotel. Everyone knew my name by the next day and the maid asked me (and quickly supplied it) if i wanted a bucket of ice when we retired to bed at 11.00 p.m. The only problem is the main restaurant being shut on Mondays, apart from that it was faultless. This is my new hotel when I stay in London

Dear Nicholas H

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay. We are delighted that One Aldwych has become your chosen hotel for future London visits.

We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea Inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and our relaxed and friendly service. With regard to dining facilities, as an alternative to Axis restaurant, our Indigo restaurant is available for lunch and dinner every day of the week.

Thank you once again for all your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I visited in July for an overnight stay booked with last minute. The deal was about £170 per person and included stay for one night, breakfast and a 60min massage.
When we checked in I mentioned the visit was for a birthday treat and in the lift we were told we'd been upgraded to an executive suite. Later that day a member of staff bought up a slice of birthday cake which was also a lovely touch. The positives of this hotel are the location and the excellent customer service - it feels like nothing is too much.
We ate at indigo in the evening -had the crab to start and lamb and plaice for the main. Good sized tasty portions.
We also used the spa within the hotel. The massage was very relaxing and the steam room and sauna were relaxing too. The pool is also good with relaxing music and video playing in the background - never seemed too crowded. This would be quite a specific downside to us personally but I visited with someone who cannot swim. She was hoping to use the pool to just walk around and paddle, but the pool was too deep for her to stand in so was left disappointed. I am five foot one and couldn't touch the bottom of the pool so not recommended for anyone this height and below who cannot swim! Quite unusual for a hotel pool, so the hotel may want to consider a shallower end at some point. Another downside is we wanted to book treatments on the day or for the next day however there was no availability - would recommend booking these in far as advance as possible.

Overall, an excellent stay and would return

Thank you Becky at the front desk - you helped make out stay excellent

1  Thank A S
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear A S

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at One Aldwych. We were delighted to welcome you for your celebratory visit.

We are pleased to hear that you especially enjoyed our location and we appreciate your kind comments regarding our excellent customer service. Thank you also for your feedback regarding our pool and spa facilities, which is most useful to us.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is by far the best hotel to stay in London. Just stayed in the hotel with 4 kids ages 11, 9, 8, 7. Stayed in a very spacious 3 bedroom suite with amazing views. Even before we traveled to London the concierge staff contacted me for any details or day trips I wanted to plan. Arrived at the hotel and had champagne waiting for me and non-alcoholic cocktails for my kids who were absolutely thrilled. Each of my kids received a personal note from the hotel. Every day we had turn down service with chocolates and fruits provided in each of the bedrooms. The Concierge staff was absolutely amazing! Very caring and made every effort to make sure transportation, restaurant recommendations, and comfort for my children exceeded my expectations. Great location! The Concierge staff knew my children by name. The personal touch and attention to details and the luxurious accommodations make it the best and only place to stay when visiting London.

Room Tip: For families get a 3 bedroom suite overlooking Waterloo bridge
1  Thank ChicagoKatey

Dear ChicagoKatey

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family for your recent stay at One Aldwych and thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our friendly and personalised service. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our Concierge team, I am thrilled to hear how they helped to make your stay a success.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to see you all again and thank you for your support.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was our second stay at One Aldwych. The first time was around 10 years ago and at the time we both said it was a place we would like to re-visit. We were in London for just one night going to a concert at the O2. The hotel is in a fabulous location and has a terrific spa, pool & gym area for those that feel the need. The rooms are great as are the public areas, restaurant and bars etc. One Aldwych is a five star hotel and delivers on its star rating.
The big stand out for me with One Aldwych is the staff. From the guys on the door, to reception team, to housekeeping, to those serving in the public areas – all go the extra yard to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. I cannot commend this hotel highly enough from all possible aspects and the staff are truly the best.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
KostasSfaltos, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear martin50

We were delighted to welcome you back to One Aldwych after so many years and thank you for posting your review.

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for all your comments and especially your mention of our hotel team.

We do hope that you will visit again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Have just returned from the One Aldwych.a birthday treat for my wife.

The hotel is ideally situated. Very close to Covent Garden, Leicester Square and numerous theatres.We found the staff very attentive and friendly. Check-in was swift the Italian lady on reception was extremely pleasant and showed us to our room on the fifth floor. We had a view of the Shard and partial view of the Thames. We had a executive room with its individual air conditioning which proved very useful on a very hot and sultry weekend. The room itself was of adequate size with a comfortable bed. The bathroom does have a quirky water saving system which you do become accustomed to although a little noisy at times but it's commendable that hotel chains are now thinking of the environment. We left in the afternoon to go shopping as mentioned 5 to 10 min walk you're in Covent Garden and the many attractions around the area. After returning to the hotel we were somewhat tired and overheated it was a pleasure to walk into the One Lounge hidden behind a very discreet room card entry door. A perfect place to unwind tranquil peaceful and fully air-conditioned.

Later we availed ourselves of the health club. My wife having booked a massage. Firstly thank you to the lady on reception Ivy a pleasant welcome. Showed me directions to the swimming pool sauna and steam room. My wife had a massage by Derry which she thoroughly enjoyed The pool was an amazing experience well worth a visit calming and relaxing especially with the underwater music. Steam room and sauna also excellent not too overpowering with heat and extremely clean. Highly recommended.

On returning to our room a card had been left by room service asking them to contact them. They asked if they could deliver an amenity to are room. Within minutes our doorbell rang and a gentlemen wished my wife happy birthday and with compliments of the management delivered a bottle of champagne and a small cake. A very thoughtful gesture which we thank the management for.

Later turn-down service arrived. A lovely lady called Christina arrived with a smile very pleasant and professional. Sleep quality was good apart from the odd quirky drainage system noise.

Breakfast was to order, again calming atmosphere and relaxing.

Check out again quick and stress-free.

We found the staff were sincere, friendly and attentive and a visit to the health spa and One Lounge a must.

The only constructive criticism we could make was that there was no complimentary water in the room on arrival which would have been appreciated given that it was a very hot and humid day.

I recommend this hotel and will be staying again.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor with a view
1  Thank alipet558

Dear alipet558

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed review of One Aldwych. We very much appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to hear that your recent celebratory visit was such a success.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy many of our facilities, including our health club and pool and also our new guests-only Lounge at One. In addition we are pleased that you enjoyed our sincere and friendly service - thank you for mentioning so many of our team members in person.

We do hope that we will welcome you again.