“A fantastic family friendly hotel”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #41 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Didcot, United Kingdom
“A fantastic family friendly hotel”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed the weekend of the 29/30 June with our two children (4yrs & 9yrs). We were there to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The staff were so friendly, the service impeccable and my children were made to feel so welcome. The welcome milkshake and cookies were very much appreciated by my children. We will certainly be back. Thank you.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HowardRombough, Public Relations Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear JenWr35

Thank you for writing a review following your anniversary stay at One Aldwych. We are delighted to receive your feedback and especially to know your young children enjoyed their time with us. We do hope that we will be able to welcome you all again.

Public Relations Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Hebrew first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Expected a lot given some of the reviews on TA. Overall I was disappointed. Check in was ok and staff generally were polite. The room was very small for two people. For example the chair would not pull out fully from the desk so that you could sit at it to do some work. Dreadful positioning of plug sockets - I had to crawl under the desk with the chair in the way to plug in my laptop. Fruit and water in the room was good but would have preferred a tea tray (although where they would have put it I don't know). The plumbing system is weird and very noisy. Beds are comfy but the rooms are hot so you need the aircon on all night - you can open the windows but there is lots of street noise and the smell from the kitchens in the pub next door is overpowering. Breakfast on mezzanine was overpriced and the service was slow. I waited 15 mins before I was asked if I was ready to order. And then they brought everything at once so the toast was cold before I got to it. Breakfast is nothing special - labelling muesli as 'organic muesli' and then serving up Alpen is a bit of a let down! Room service breakfast the next day was very poor. The bar was always busy every night so it is obviously a 'go to' place for the cocktail set - was very noisy so opted to go out. Overall a let down and have stayed in suites in other hotels for half the price, with twice the space.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank avidtraveller57
Dear avidtraveller57

I am extremely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. It is rare that we receive such comments and I am keen to address the issues you raise.

I hope that you do not mind if we contact you directly to request the details of your booking. In the meantime, my sincere apologies that you did not have the experience that you had hoped for.

New York
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I arrived at the hotel mid-morning due to my overnight flight. I figured I would not be able to check in so early. I had to take care of a couple of things and asked Stephane if he could point me in the right direction. He actually walked me outside the hotel and showed which way to go, great customer service. Most people just show you on the map and send you on your way. When I got back the room wasn't quite ready, again still before check-in. I was treated to a complimentary tea and biscuits. When I finally did get my room it was wonderful. It had a huge living room, big bedroom and bathroom and even a small kitchenette. The living room had windows all around and over looked the streets. This hotel is in the perfect place in Covent Garden. Walking distance to the theaters and the tube.

The best part of this hotel was the special high tea. It was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed. In addtional to the traditional tea there was a whole separate seleciton of sweets! I highly recommend going to the hotel just for the tea while is lasts. I know they told me it was for a limited time.

For breakfast I ordered room service. I was surprised to see a vegetarian English Breakfast. Being a vegetarin I had to try it. It had vegie sausage and vegie blood pudding. Very interesting.

Great place and location to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear lor13149

Thank you for coming to stay at One Aldwych. I am delighted to know that you felt well cared for by our team and I am pleased that you enjoyed all our facilities. Thank you also for mentioning our very popular Afternoon Tea inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We do hope that we will be able to welcome you back on a future London visit.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here on several occasions over the past years - as a couple and as a family. One Aldwych just gets better and better. For overall level of service, I don't think I have stayed in a better hotel. This recent trip as a family was for a special occasion and the hotel certainly contributed to making our special weekend an unforgettable one. Firstly, the welcome at check- in is personal and professional. Personal touches in our rooms, especially little extras such as colourful beakers in the bathroom for the kids and little notes for them just make the experience feel warmer. Additional requests for our celebration were attended to perfectly by the team - every time we came back to the room we had another surprise, delivered on cue, with a smile. The staff is definitely one of the best assets of the hotel - great guys on the door, lovely smiling housekeeping folk everyone trained to greet you on the corridors. This is what service should be. The bar/lounge area is a special place. I noticed there are new willywonka inspired afternoon teas (candy floss. Milkshakes, lollipops - they were coming out as fast as the waiters could deliver them!) Rooms are immaculately clean and quiet. If you want a great location in London, old-style personal service delivered with modern flair, this is your place! Looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear LissyBtravels

I am delighted to hear how you and your family have enjoyed returning to One Aldwych over the past years and we are thrilled that we had the opportunity to welcome you back for this special occasion. Thank you for your kind comments, especially with regard to the professional and personal service received from our team. We do hope to see you many times in the future.

Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is out of this world. We have just spent a lovely 2 days at the One Aldwich Hotel, and cannot praise it enough. The staff were so helpful and could not do enough for us. The breakfast is the best breakfast i have ever eaten. We were there to celebrate our birthdays and as it was a special occasion we were upgraded free of charge to an amazing room with lovely views, a huge bed and lovely living area. The tv in the bathroom was also a treat when having a bath.
We returned after going our for dinner to find our lamps turned on, the bed turned down and a little note telling us what the weather was going to do the following day and some ideas of how to spend the day which is a lovely touch.
I really do recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to have an amazing experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room as they seem to be bigger.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HowardRombough, Public Relations Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Lisa P

We are thrilled to read your review and thank you for taking the time to write with your recommendation. It was a pleasure to welcome you for your Birthday celebrations and we are so pleased to hear that you had amazing experience with us. Thank you for mentioning our helpful staff too and the lovely views from our rooms. We do hope that we will see you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I went to The One Aldwych recently to have the afternoon tea inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate factory.I am a Nanny and took one of the children I look after who is 12.We had a wonderful afternoon.The food was excellent and everything was delicious.It was beautifully presented.The service was just right and the staff were all lovely.It was the nicest most memorable afternoon tea I have ever had.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank queennanny
HowardRombough, Public Relations Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear queennanny

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our recently launched ‘Afternoon Tea inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. We are so pleased to know that you had a memorable afternoon with us and we hope that we will see you at One Aldwych again.

Southbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My partner and I decided to celebrate our 25th anniversary with a whirlwind 24hrs in London last week. Afternoon tea at Claridges, a West End show and to top it all off a wonderful stay at One Aldwych.

I cannot speak highly enough of the hotel and of all of its extremely friendly, attentive and professional staff. On arrival we were both expected & congratulated warmly on our anniversary. We were treated to complimentary drinks in the Guest Lounge and best of all upgraded to a wonderful suite overlooking Waterloo Bridge. The suite was superbly equipped and the pity of it all was that we were not there long enough to enjoy all of the facilities. We did however manage wonderful cocktails in the uber-cool Lobby Bar, enjoyed the magnificent swimmimng pool and had one of the best breakfast omelettes ever.

Thank you to everybody and a special word to Charlotte on reception for her attentiveness and smile.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 5BrianD

Thank you for your lovely review following your stay at One Aldwych. We were delighted that you enjoyed your Suite overlooking Waterloo bridge and we appreciate your kind comments regarding our attentive staff. Thank you for mentioning our wonderful Lobby Bar, private guest lounge and swimming pool. We do hope that we will see you again.