“Fabulous hotel in a great location. Excellent service”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #40 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at One Aldwych in July 2012 and were very pleased. The location is exceptional for walking around Covent Gardens and Soho. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had a pleasant stay and provided excellent restaurant recommendations. Our last night the hotel had an unfortunate incident where the fire alarm went off. Although the staff was flustered and did not sufficiently direct everyone in the halls, they made an outstanding effort to apologize the next morning. They had a fabulous breakfast to go waiting for our party of 4 at 6am as we prepared to leave for the airport. They went above and beyond what I have seen at other hotels to make sure their guests are happy. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
HowardRombough, Public Relations Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear Hmarti24

Thank you for your review of One Aldwych. We appreciate your positive comments, including our location in Covent Garden and the excellent service you received throughout your stay. I would like to apologise that our Fire Alarm was raised on your last night. We do take our Fire Procedures extremely seriously and this was thankfully a false alarm. I am delighted that you wish to return to the hotel and we hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for One Aldwych

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at One Aldwych, it's a modern and clean hotel, good service, helpful staff.

One Aldwych has two restaurants, Indigo opens everyday which has only a few choices on the menu, the other one Axis which has more choices, but it closes on Sunday and Monday. There are lots of restaurants in this area but sometimes we just don't want to go out after a tired day.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

While this is a much overused expression in the UK, it aptly describes this terrific hotel in the heart of things in London. Its location is just perfect for all types of adventures and fun, whether it by the theater, the Borough Market, Covent Gardens, the museums and what have you. And when you are done with the day (frankly, at any time of day) there is a terrific pool with steam and sauna waiting in the basement. The staff were all so very courteous and helpful, despite the concierge is a Millwall supporter, and provided helpful hints on navigating in the city. Different fresh fruit in the room every day, and shoes shined every night. Coupled with the lounge and bar and restaurant, it makes this hotel...well...brilliant.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Scott A
HowardRombough, Public Relations Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Scott A

Thank you for taking the time to write following your recent visit. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our prime location in Covent Garden and thank you also for your lovely feedback regarding our staff and facilities, such as our new private guest lounge. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at the Aldwych Thanksqiving week 2012. The service staff is totally committed to doing everything possible to make your stay memorable.
We had reservations near the hotel for dinner and they offered to walk us over..There recommendations for dining were right on target, I would recommend not taking the executive room it's smaller than the next level.
Taxis are easy to get. but the hotel is in the heart of Covent garden and the Theater District.

Room Tip: Take one level above executive room ....that one is small.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Irene S

Dear Irene S

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at One Aldwych. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and appreciate your kind comments regarding our high service standards and location in the heart of London. We do hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Returning to London after a couple of months.....and back to One Aldwych again.....another excellent stay and it is starting to be my London home....well run hotel, staff are helpful and professional, and the quality of the stay is really really brilliant.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank man1975

Dear Man1975

Thank you very much for returning to stay at One Aldwych and for your lovely review. I am thrilled to hear that we are becoming your home in London and do hope that we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I liked coming back to One Aldwych Hotel and to be back in London a very nice city.

I was happy to see that all is well at this independent hotel, a rarity in the hospitality industry. And the guests like me are proving that.

I was happy to eat at the Indigo Restaurant and I saw such professional service and excellent food. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stefan I
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Stefan I

Thank you for your comments on One Aldwych, we were delighted to welcome you back to the hotel. Thank you also for noting that we are an independent hotel – we like to think the ‘power of one’ is the secret to personalised, individual service. We do hope that we will see you again soon.

Stefan Soennichsen

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am lucky enough to have a friend who was married over last New Year's Eve in Paris, and I was a guest. This year for their anniversary, I was again invited to celebrate with the couple (and about 15 other guests) in London.

The hotel was chosen by my hosts, the newlywed couple. While I was their guest, I did get a copy of the Folio and the rate was 285 Pounds per night. This may have been a discounted rate as the hosts had booked many rooms.

The location is perfect. I chose to take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Covent Garden Station with no transfers for about 6 Pounds. My friend arranged a Mercedes E Class to pick him up and deliver him to the hotel for 90 pounds. On the return, we took a taxi and negotiated a flat rate of 70 pounds.

The doormen are expecting you upon arrival and quickly whisk away your bags and walk you to reception. Reception apologized that my room was not ready upon arrival and took my cell phone number to call me when it was ready (this was about 11:30 am). I walked a block to the highly recommended Delaunay where I lingered over a light lunch. I returned to the lovely lobby, had a pot of tea, and my room was ready about 1 pm.

I was in 2 rooms during my stay. The first (507) was a King or Queen bed, spacious, very large marble bath with separate tub (very large for long soaks) and a smaller separate shower. It was available as a lockout vestibule with a larger suite for families. The second room (307) was a little smaller, still with the big tub (and combination shower), twin beds. The twins were long enough to be very comfortable.

Everything has been thought of in the rooms. Free wifi, iPod dock which charged my iPhone and iPad, desk and chair, 2 smallish closets, safe, snacks, free water in glass bottles, fresh flowers, blackout drapes (which caused me to miss many hours in London due to oversleeping), a bottle of wine and a canape tray on the first night, etc. Turndown service and cleaning was flawless, even though we didn't leave the room until 3 pm on some days (I stay on US time when I'm in London!). Quirks were a complete lack of drawers for clothing and the oft-mentioned odd vacuum assisted drains.

Pool was perfect, almost surreal, and very calming. Steam and sauna were co-ed. Lots of space and showers in the locker room which was great when sharing a room.

Lobby bar was perfect for a pot of tea, sophisticated cocktail or a glass of wine in the afternoon. We neglected to reserve for Afternoon Tea and they were not able to accommodate last minute on New Year's Eve, but that's to be expected. We were still able to sit and order from the menu.

Possibly because I did not reserve the room myself, I did not know breakfast was included. Had I known, I would have had breakfast delivered late morning as a wake up call and been more motivated to get out of bed than I was. On the last day, we used the door hanger to order 2 full English Breakfasts which arrived precisely as requested at 9 am, all at no additional charge. On the other day when I was up early enough for breakfast, I went to the Delauney and paid dearly.

We had a large group and some complicated requests and the staff were perfect. If it were in my budget, I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: The room numbers do not "line up" as expected. I was in 507 and 307 and they were in diffe...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear MikeInFLL

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your visit to One Aldwych. I am pleased that you and your party enjoyed your special celebratory stay and thank you sincerely for all your kind comments. Should you plan another London visit, we do hope that we will welcome you again.

Stefan Soennichsen