“Perfect service great location”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #43 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Perfect service great location”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at the Aldwych Thanksqiving week 2012. The service staff is totally committed to doing everything possible to make your stay memorable.
We had reservations near the hotel for dinner and they offered to walk us over..There recommendations for dining were right on target, I would recommend not taking the executive room it's smaller than the next level.
Taxis are easy to get. but the hotel is in the heart of Covent garden and the Theater District.

Room Tip: Take one level above executive room ....that one is small.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Irene S
HowardRombough, Public Relations Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Irene S

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at One Aldwych. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and appreciate your kind comments regarding our high service standards and location in the heart of London. We do hope to welcome you back.

Howard Rombough
Public Relations Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
New York
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Returning to London after a couple of months.....and back to One Aldwych again.....another excellent stay and it is starting to be my London home....well run hotel, staff are helpful and professional, and the quality of the stay is really really brilliant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank man1975
Dear Man1975

Thank you very much for returning to stay at One Aldwych and for your lovely review. I am thrilled to hear that we are becoming your home in London and do hope that we can welcome you again soon.

Howard Rombough
Public Relations Director
Bucharest
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I liked coming back to One Aldwych Hotel and to be back in London a very nice city.

I was happy to see that all is well at this independent hotel, a rarity in the hospitality industry. And the guests like me are proving that.

I was happy to eat at the Indigo Restaurant and I saw such professional service and excellent food. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stefan I
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Stefan I

Thank you for your comments on One Aldwych, we were delighted to welcome you back to the hotel. Thank you also for noting that we are an independent hotel – we like to think the ‘power of one’ is the secret to personalised, individual service. We do hope that we will see you again soon.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am lucky enough to have a friend who was married over last New Year's Eve in Paris, and I was a guest. This year for their anniversary, I was again invited to celebrate with the couple (and about 15 other guests) in London.

The hotel was chosen by my hosts, the newlywed couple. While I was their guest, I did get a copy of the Folio and the rate was 285 Pounds per night. This may have been a discounted rate as the hosts had booked many rooms.

The location is perfect. I chose to take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Covent Garden Station with no transfers for about 6 Pounds. My friend arranged a Mercedes E Class to pick him up and deliver him to the hotel for 90 pounds. On the return, we took a taxi and negotiated a flat rate of 70 pounds.

The doormen are expecting you upon arrival and quickly whisk away your bags and walk you to reception. Reception apologized that my room was not ready upon arrival and took my cell phone number to call me when it was ready (this was about 11:30 am). I walked a block to the highly recommended Delaunay where I lingered over a light lunch. I returned to the lovely lobby, had a pot of tea, and my room was ready about 1 pm.

I was in 2 rooms during my stay. The first (507) was a King or Queen bed, spacious, very large marble bath with separate tub (very large for long soaks) and a smaller separate shower. It was available as a lockout vestibule with a larger suite for families. The second room (307) was a little smaller, still with the big tub (and combination shower), twin beds. The twins were long enough to be very comfortable.

Everything has been thought of in the rooms. Free wifi, iPod dock which charged my iPhone and iPad, desk and chair, 2 smallish closets, safe, snacks, free water in glass bottles, fresh flowers, blackout drapes (which caused me to miss many hours in London due to oversleeping), a bottle of wine and a canape tray on the first night, etc. Turndown service and cleaning was flawless, even though we didn't leave the room until 3 pm on some days (I stay on US time when I'm in London!). Quirks were a complete lack of drawers for clothing and the oft-mentioned odd vacuum assisted drains.

Pool was perfect, almost surreal, and very calming. Steam and sauna were co-ed. Lots of space and showers in the locker room which was great when sharing a room.

Lobby bar was perfect for a pot of tea, sophisticated cocktail or a glass of wine in the afternoon. We neglected to reserve for Afternoon Tea and they were not able to accommodate last minute on New Year's Eve, but that's to be expected. We were still able to sit and order from the menu.

Possibly because I did not reserve the room myself, I did not know breakfast was included. Had I known, I would have had breakfast delivered late morning as a wake up call and been more motivated to get out of bed than I was. On the last day, we used the door hanger to order 2 full English Breakfasts which arrived precisely as requested at 9 am, all at no additional charge. On the other day when I was up early enough for breakfast, I went to the Delauney and paid dearly.

We had a large group and some complicated requests and the staff were perfect. If it were in my budget, I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: The room numbers do not "line up" as expected. I was in 507 and 307 and they were in diffe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear MikeInFLL

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your visit to One Aldwych. I am pleased that you and your party enjoyed your special celebratory stay and thank you sincerely for all your kind comments. Should you plan another London visit, we do hope that we will welcome you again.

Bodensee
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a one week stay in the one aldwych. Beside a nice 7 to 5 arrangment we really enjoyed not only the nice staff but all hotel facilities. The pool is phantastic, also the Gym. Especially in winter this is a nice feature. The rooms are modern and nice, and even so it is mid town, quiet rooms. The breakfast is not unexpensive but very high quality, the same dinner in the Indigo. We would definitely return back to this hotel

Room Tip: Try to get a room towards the Lyceum ( Lion King Theatre...) away from street and very quiet
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ecki59
Dear Ecki59

Thank you very much for reviewing One Aldwych following your recent visit. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your week with us and that you were able to take advantage of our facilities including our 18 metre lap pool with underwater music. We do hope that we will see you again soon.

Amman, Jordan
Reviewed January 2, 2013

A great location. A popular and convivial bar and lounge which are very popular with the City and business communities so many outside guests for these facilities. Pleasant pool, fitness centre, and spa. Restaurants are good but not fantastic, indeed they sometimes find it a stretch to be even "very good". Staff, mainly foreign and many for Eastern Europe, are helpful and appear well-trained. Bedding and pillows are top quality. However, Aldwych rooms (the basic room category) are too small to be comfortable. Even Executive Rooms are rather cosier than desirable. Deluxe rooms and above a fine. Bathrooms are beginning to date. However, accommodation prices can be sky high even by London levels. Whatever, this is a good hotel in which to stay and its City meets West End venue is more than convenient but it has weaknesses as well as strengths.

Room Tip: Avoid Aldwych rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JHMH1959
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear JHMH1959

Thank you for your review of One Aldwych. I appreciate your many comments about the hotel, including our fantastic Covent Garden location, well trained staff, Health Club and 18 metre pool. We do hope that we are able to welcome you again soon.

Shropshire
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My other half really saved up to treat us for one night here, since everyone told us it was 'the best'. It was far more than we have ever paid for a hotel.

So, the good - the service was impeccable, the location is excellent, the bed was beautifully comfortable and the breakfast perfectly cooked. Good to have a turndown service. The service from the concierge, in particular, was extremely efficient. If the cost of the hotel had been less, I would have been impressed.

For such a high price, though, I expected more. One of the lights in our room didn't work. There was no information at all about the hotel in the room - for example, nothing to tell us what time breakfast was, no room service menu ... though I did notice there was a button on the phone for room service, so maybe they did offer this after all? We trawled through the television menu to find out about the basics of breakfast time, but ended up calling reception to ask for the time and place - in most other hotels they would tell you this at check in. No kettle/tea and coffee facilities in the room. No biscuits/chocolates - just SOMETHING that a good hotel would usually offer as a 'feel good' gesture.

I would describe the style as unobtrusive minimalism, so if this sounds like your style, it could be for you. There is nothing wrong with it, and in fact the service is excellent. But I stayed at a London hotel in a prime location for less than half the price recently and it felt 'special'. I expected this one to feel special, and it didn't. Disappointed for my other half, who couldn't really afford this but wanted it to be an occasion to remember.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShropshireSue
Dear ShropshireSue

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at One Aldwych. I am pleased to hear that you were overall impressed with the hotel.

It is our procedure to accompany you to your room on arrival and inform you of all room and guest facilities. I am so sorry that this did not happen on this occasion and it will most certainly be addressed with the team. The hotel does provide fresh fruit and flowers every room on a daily basis and we are also happy to place tea and coffee facilities in your room on request. This aside, I do appreciate you noting the excellent service you received during your stay and thank you again for your comments.