“Very Pleasant stay”
Review of One Aldwych

One Aldwych
Ranked #40 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a one week stay in the one aldwych. Beside a nice 7 to 5 arrangment we really enjoyed not only the nice staff but all hotel facilities. The pool is phantastic, also the Gym. Especially in winter this is a nice feature. The rooms are modern and nice, and even so it is mid town, quiet rooms. The breakfast is not unexpensive but very high quality, the same dinner in the Indigo. We would definitely return back to this hotel

Room Tip: Try to get a room towards the Lyceum ( Lion King Theatre...) away from street and very quiet
1  Thank Ecki59
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Ecki59

Thank you very much for reviewing One Aldwych following your recent visit. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your week with us and that you were able to take advantage of our facilities including our 18 metre lap pool with underwater music. We do hope that we will see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for One Aldwych

Reviewed January 2, 2013

A great location. A popular and convivial bar and lounge which are very popular with the City and business communities so many outside guests for these facilities. Pleasant pool, fitness centre, and spa. Restaurants are good but not fantastic, indeed they sometimes find it a stretch to be even "very good". Staff, mainly foreign and many for Eastern Europe, are helpful and appear well-trained. Bedding and pillows are top quality. However, Aldwych rooms (the basic room category) are too small to be comfortable. Even Executive Rooms are rather cosier than desirable. Deluxe rooms and above a fine. Bathrooms are beginning to date. However, accommodation prices can be sky high even by London levels. Whatever, this is a good hotel in which to stay and its City meets West End venue is more than convenient but it has weaknesses as well as strengths.

Room Tip: Avoid Aldwych rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JHMH1959
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear JHMH1959

Thank you for your review of One Aldwych. I appreciate your many comments about the hotel, including our fantastic Covent Garden location, well trained staff, Health Club and 18 metre pool. We do hope that we are able to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My other half really saved up to treat us for one night here, since everyone told us it was 'the best'. It was far more than we have ever paid for a hotel.

So, the good - the service was impeccable, the location is excellent, the bed was beautifully comfortable and the breakfast perfectly cooked. Good to have a turndown service. The service from the concierge, in particular, was extremely efficient. If the cost of the hotel had been less, I would have been impressed.

For such a high price, though, I expected more. One of the lights in our room didn't work. There was no information at all about the hotel in the room - for example, nothing to tell us what time breakfast was, no room service menu ... though I did notice there was a button on the phone for room service, so maybe they did offer this after all? We trawled through the television menu to find out about the basics of breakfast time, but ended up calling reception to ask for the time and place - in most other hotels they would tell you this at check in. No kettle/tea and coffee facilities in the room. No biscuits/chocolates - just SOMETHING that a good hotel would usually offer as a 'feel good' gesture.

I would describe the style as unobtrusive minimalism, so if this sounds like your style, it could be for you. There is nothing wrong with it, and in fact the service is excellent. But I stayed at a London hotel in a prime location for less than half the price recently and it felt 'special'. I expected this one to feel special, and it didn't. Disappointed for my other half, who couldn't really afford this but wanted it to be an occasion to remember.

1  Thank ShropshireSue

Dear ShropshireSue

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at One Aldwych. I am pleased to hear that you were overall impressed with the hotel.

It is our procedure to accompany you to your room on arrival and inform you of all room and guest facilities. I am so sorry that this did not happen on this occasion and it will most certainly be addressed with the team. The hotel does provide fresh fruit and flowers every room on a daily basis and we are also happy to place tea and coffee facilities in your room on request. This aside, I do appreciate you noting the excellent service you received during your stay and thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great location for city weekend; a minute from all things Covent Garden and shops....despite being opposite the Lion King, the hotel is very quiet and had a great night's sleep. The location is worth the price. Great bar and good bar service. I'd definitely come back but.....it's not the most welcoming of hotels...wasn't sure if we were in a bar/lobby/ right place and a bit impersonal at check in. Additionally, it is annoying, time consuming and a rip-off to have to send for room service for a tea/coffee. Why no kettle!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor at the end of the corridor which made it quieter I suspect

Dear checkersgal

Thank you for your review and for your positive feedback on One Aldwych, including our prime location in London’s theatreland. With regard to tea and coffee facilities, we will be happy to place these in your room on request for any future stays. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and thank you for your comments.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Arrived home yesterday after spending Christmas in London at One Aldwych. The hotel is in a great location next to The lyceum Theatre and as we had booked to see The Lion King we didn't have far to go for our Theatre evening which was a bonus in the rain. Check in was efficient and we were shown to our rooms, I had booked two executive rooms, a twin for the kids and a king for ourselves, the kids room was of a reasonable size but ours was smaller than anticipated but adequate. Housekeeping was great and the rooms were kept very clean, with a turndown service when required. The swimming pool and gym were lovely along with the staff who looked after these facilities. Before we travelled I had 2 e-mails from the hotel requesting the ages of the kids which I replied to, I was assuming they may of had a small gift on Christmas day but nothing came of this so not sure what that was about!!. One evening we went for a meal and got back to the hotel about 10.30 ( not to late) we sat in the Lobby bar and asked for a coffee, some ice-cream and a beer, the lady who served us said she had cleaned the coffee machine and seemed a little put out by our request asking if we were guests of the hotel, I dutifully replied that we were and she did manage to fulfil our request but I felt a little uncomfortable by her manner and when the coffee did arrive it was luke warm, at £19 for 3 items I expected a little more . Christmas day arrived and we were booked into the restaurant for our dinner at 7pm , we had breakfast in the morning and I asked which table we had been allocated for our evening meal, we were shown a great table overlooking the lobby which I said would be lovely. When we arrived our table was taken by another family and we were shown to another table which had a large post next to us it was most inappropriate. My husband and myself were very disappointed and asked the staff why we had been moved, they told us that nobody had marked on the reservation our table and they had moved guests , I was amazed , the restaurant staff had made the error and they were very blasé about it . After conveying for the second time that we were unhappy they then did move some tables around and placed us by the window overlooking the theatre, unfortunately this had marred the occasion and for a 5 star hotel this should never of happened, they did top up our glasses as a goodwill gesture but we had no apology from the restaurant manager which I thought would of been appropriate. Anyway to finish off we had a lovely time in London with the family but a rather disappointing stay at One Aldwych.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank janebSufffolk
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear janebSuffolk
Thank you for your review on One Aldwych. I appreciate your positive comments including our prime location in London’s theatreland, however I am sorry for the service concerns that you raise which we take most seriously. I hope you do not mind if I contact you directly to discuss this further. Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

What a fabulous way to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Staff were wonderful and we were treated to the most amazing spread of yummy food. Even though it was very busy - sat before Xmas, our special day was acknowledged and our tea stand had a lovely message piped on! Thanks to all at One Aldwych for making our day even more special!

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear CalaMV

Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your wedding anniversary celebration at One Aldwych. I do appreciate your kind comments and we hope that we will be able to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I wish One Aldwych had been a nice hotel. I was looking forward to a nice comfortable place in the heart of London; instead what i got was a very large, and certainly modernly decorated hotel, but what lousy service and terrible amenities. At the very bowels of this architectural realisation, you will find a water saving electronic toilet. That must be the USP of the place. Save water thanks the English engineering. NOT. The toilets flush with the noise of a huge explosion, and do so of their own device. Not only do you hear eery toilet of every room flush during the neight, but your own personal device, with its mind of its own, will do likewise every 20 seconds. If you're friends with a frog, this might be a good thing. If you come here to sleep, its not. Dont bother complaining or changing rooms. It will change nothing and all you will get is a shrug; no excuses whatsoever. Service is ok at best. Rooms are small but very comfortble. Avoid all the ones on Aldwych, the busiest street in the world just outside. Even he quadruple windows dont keep the diesel fumes outside. There are plenty of nice jotels on London. This is not one of them. Used mostly for large corporate events by the indiscrimate likes of Deloitte et al, One Aldwych offers little of interest for the discerning traveller.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank i-live-for-lunch

Dear i-live-for-lunch

I am concerned to hear that you were unhappy with your recent stay and I would firstly like to apologise to you for the issues raised. Here at One Aldwych we welcome guests from both the leisure and corporate sectors and we pride ourselves on our high service standards which we take extremely seriously.

With regard to the plumbing system, we do have an environmentally friendly water system, however this generally works very well and we rarely receive complaints. I am sorry for the disturbance that was caused to you.

Once again I apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this visit.