“Thank you!”

Ranked #39 of 1,063 Hotels in London
St. Asaph, United Kingdom
“Thank you!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Ok, so I’m neither rich nor famous but am fortunate enough to have a wife (with a birthday) and two children aged eleven and seven. As a result of these assets (including the birthday) I searched for a nice hotel in theatre land, with interconnecting rooms and a pool; after some difficulty I count myself as lucky to have rung ‘One Aldwych’. From the initial telephone conversation to the time we checked out the experience was faultless.
I have previously stayed in a few quality hotels but have never before seen such attention to detail, I had been asked for the ages of the kids but was amazed to find dressing gowns, slippers and books appropriate to those ages waiting in their room. Similarly I may have mentioned that birthday but certainly hadn’t requested the cake found waiting on the table. When the children went to say thank you for their experience it would perhaps have been easy to dismiss them but on the contrary they were engaged in conversation by staff who seemed genuinely concerned that they were having a good time.
We decided to stay at the hotel’s Indigo restaurant for our pre theatre meal and again, service quality and value were outstanding. Yes, spaghetti for the seven year old was probably a mistake but I didn’t meet the laundry staff.
In short the pool is great (under-water piped music is a nice touch), the facilities are great, but really it’s the staff employed at this hotel that make it such a pleasure to stay. If you can pick up a deal great, if not then pay the standard tariff, it’s well worth it!

Room Tip: If you have children ask for interconnecting rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ivor l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
usa
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had an extraordinary visit to London and a wonderful second stay at One Aldwych last week. The room was very beautiful, impeccably clean, the meals were exceptional, and the staff were unbelievably accommodating and gracious. The lobby lounge was beautiful, Axis restaurant superb, as was Indigo Restaurant. I will only stay at this hotel with every upcoming trip to the UK.

Bravo to One Aldwych!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank karen r
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We always use One Aldwych for pre theatre dinners when attending performances in that area. The staff are friendly and helpful, the atmosphere is welcoming and the food.....an exception.
Have never stayed in a room here (have seen the suites though when a friend stayed here) but it is my ambition to do so one day. We chose cocktails in the spacious and comfortable Lobby bar and always comment on the wonderful and imaginative floral arrangement.
Then it's up to the Mezzanine to the Indigo restaurant. Again you are greeted with a smile by pleasant servers and the menu never disappoints. On our recent visit we had the Gravalax with blinis followed by the delicious pork loin. This comes with the crispiest piece of crackling you'll ever taste. A great cellar of wines to choose from too - we opted for a Chardonnay - slighty oaked and an apple / lemony flavour - ideal with the pork.
Their slogan is "where the City meets the West End" - so true and so appropriate. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Have once seen a suite when a friend stayed here - made my mind up there and then that I wanted to s...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My partner and I had a long week and decided to treat ourselves to a jazz concert and a stay at a luxury hotel. We booked the same evening as we arrived and we didn't get a warm welcome.
I very much agree with reviews on trip advisor where people felt judged by their appearance - that's exactly how we felt! As I said it wasn't planned and we were dressed in a smart casual simple way.

We were asked to pay upfront and put £100 deposit on the account of possible damage we may do to the room. When the check in was completed the receptionist just TOLD US WHERE OUR ROOM WAS and when we looked incredulous asked if we needed to be shown to our room. We had a laptop and couple of other itmes and although we looked tired the receptionist didn't even ask if needed help taking them to the room and we actually had to ask for help!

The sleep wasn't great at all as their Eco plumbing makes the kind of noise that you get on airplanes and you hear it not just when your bathroom is in use but also the one upstairs! Also, you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in hallways because there is about an inch wide gap between the floor and the door.

The taps although stylish are difficult to identify re hot and cold and the hand held shower hose wouldn't come out of its enclosure despite quite a bit of pulling.

Breakfast was average: pastries terrible and bacon and sausages and preserves are 3 star hotel quality, juices nice. The staff were polite but entirely indifferent.

Overall, you don't leave feeling you have had a super relaxing luxury stay.

I know I may sound grumpy but we stay in top hotels in UK, France, US etc and I am very fortunate to be used to top level comfort, service and food. Sadly, this is not one of them!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew G
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Andrew G

I am extremely sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with your stay with us and I am keen to look into this matter further.

It is One Aldwych’s policy that all guests are escorted to their rooms upon arrival and I am sorry that this did not happen. It is standard practice in most hotels to take credit card details on arrival for incidentals and I regret that this made you feel uncomfortable.

The plumbing system that we operate here is based on an environmentally friendly water system that uses a vacuum operation rather than gravity. It can produce rather different noises than some hotels, however it is rare that we receive complaints.

With regard to the other points that you raise, I will certainly address these and I hope that you do not mind if I contact you directly to request the details of your booking.

Kind regards

Stefan

Stefan Soennichsen
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was our first visit to One Aldwych, and we were very pleased. We were first shown a very small room, but we're then offered a larger and much nicer room at the same price. The location is outstanding, the bar/lounge is " hopping", the staff is very pleasant and wifi is included. The gym is also excellent. We will definitely return to One Aldwych.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different- be choosy
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Good location.
Quiet Lounge.
Modern design.
Reasonable rates.
Nice stay overall.
Reception staff could try being a little less 'up themselves'!
Shame.
Enjoyable otherwise, especially the afternoon tea & cocktails....
Thanks anyway.

• Stayed September 2012
StefanSoennichsen, General Manager at One Aldwych, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Richiep08

Thank you for your review following your stay at One Aldwych. We very much appreciate your positive comments, including our wonderful Afternoon Tea and cocktails in the Lobby Bar.

I am sorry to hear your thoughts on your reception experience and we will certainly examine this.

We appreciate your feedback and do hope that we will have the opportunity to see you again.

Kind regards

Stefan Soennichsen
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here for my Birthday at the beginning of October. The location is excellent, walking distance from Covent Garden and the underground station. We decided to drive down and park at the NCP car park in Parker Street which was about a 5/10 minute walk and cost around £35 per full day. On arrival our bags were taken straight away and we were shown to the reception area where check-in was swift and very friendly. My fiancé had made the hotel aware in advance that it was my Birthday and they had happily upgraded our room to a Deluxe Room.

We were made aware that our room was not ready just yet but were given the option to either sit in the main lobby or try out the brand new private lounge area. We opted for the latter and for those of you wishing to try this I will not ruin the surprise!

The bedroom itself was exceptionally clean with great little touches such as a TV in the bathroom! We had a lovely view from our room overlooking the Lyceum Theatre and the high street. We had a massage each in the Spa which was very relaxing and highly recommended.

We had champagne afternoon tea which was amazing and we also were given a complimentary Heston Blumenthal style cocktail to go with it. You could have as many sandwiches as you wanted and they even boxed up the uneaten cakes for us to take to our room afterwards!

In the morning we ate in the Indigo for breakfast and I have to say this was the best hotel breakfast I had ever eaten! Tea and Coffee was plentiful, and we were also given beautiful, freshly made pastries to eat while waiting for the food to come out.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would love to come back here in the near future.

3 Thank Chanel3018