“Our honeymoon”

Ranked #40 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London
“Our honeymoon”
Reviewed March 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights for our honeymoon towards the end of February. We booked an Executive room, at a cost of £493.50 for two nights. For us that's is a lot of money, but hey, you only get married once.
Obviously we were hoping for an upgrade, and I did add that it was our honeymoon, when I booked. Apparently, a couple of our friends also mentioned it to the hotel, prior to our arrival.
I visited the hotel, on the night before our stay to hand over our luggage, as we didn't want to carry it around all day. The consierge was very helpful, which is a good start. I went to reception also, to advise them that I wouldn't be arriving until about midnight the following day,they were also very nce, and said that we had a really nice room. Result! I thought, we'd been upgraded to a deluxe room.
When we finally arrived at the hotel, at 00.30, we were shown to our room. We hadn't got the deluxe room I'd hoped for, but a studio suite (Room 508)!!!!! It was fantastic, and there was champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries waiting for us in the room also. The ice, hadn't melted, so they even noted, when our arrival was before adding the champagne.
So, service wise, it was fantastic, but beware of the prices.
Everything in the hotel is VERY expensive. they advertise the wonderful health club and swimming pool, but fail to mention, that it's £30 a day! Breakfast, amazingly not thrown in at that price, is £22! A beer is £5. We can honestly say, that we had a fatastic time there, but just can't afford to ever go back!

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank MrBirch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Hebrew first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Let me say straight out that I think London is pricing itself out of the tourist market, at least the market for mere mortals. So my complaints are really about value for money rather than the quality of the hotel itself. My room at the One Aldwych cost £411 pounds a night, and I believe that is at the lower end of the range for this hotel. Even though I was there on business and therefore not paying directly myself, it still hurt. Why? Because for £411 a night I expect absolutely the best-ever hotel experience. And One Aldwych is far from that. The room was small, hot and loud (above the street). I arrived late and tired and ordered a chicken sandwich, which was delicious, I must say, but which was literally just a bun with a chicken breast and lettuce on it and which cost £17. The bathroom was especially disappointing ... instead of tiled walls or some other kind of bathroom-like decor, the walls were painted a kind of pale hospital green and then covered with plain glass under which mold appeared to be growing in the corners. The only thing I can say in the hotel's defense is that poor value has become the norm in London. But under no circumstances would I spend my own money to stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Good location for central London
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Cosmo_Felani
Ms_Something
Reviewed February 20, 2008

One Aldwych seems to have the ability to provide a calm oasis in the middle of Covent Garden. Their attention to detail isn't as perfect as it once was, but for London, it is still pretty amazing.

The Frette bedlinen encourages me to languish in bed a little later than normal, and the breakfast jams and preserves never fail to tempt me. Room service is quick and efficient, although I experienced that some of the room staff spoke only basic english.

The atmosphere in the Lobby Bar is lovely, a great place to enjoy a great cocktail and watch tourists and city dwellers relax on a Friday evening. I can recommend their Bloody Mary, and for those with a sweet tooth, the White Russian is bliss.

The Spa is lovely, the staff attentive without being intrusive. The pool is a lovely place to waste a couple of hours.

The only things that prevent me from giving the hotel 5 stars, the bedrooms are small, even as a Brit, I find them small, heaven only knows what our American friends will make of them! During my last 2 visits, the in room entertainment system was working - but only just.

• Liked — Calm, Clean and Relaxing
  • Disliked — This is central London, so the prices are high!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
budapest
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I do pay special attention to the readers’ reviews on Tripadvisor.com and I rely on this site, therefore I read many of the contributions on this hotel. I have to admit in this case I do not agree with the majority of the reviews, sorry for that. I spent 2 nights here on business. Daily rate is GBP 400 which is way too expensive even in light of the fact that London is a trendy city and pricey too.
This is a contemporary luxury hotel where the fashion/trend/style in many cases is against functionality (unpractical cupboard, TV remote control, reading lights etc). Standard room was small (cca 10-12 sqm), heating did not work properly and there was no blankets in the room. The bed was okay, the TV had relatively small screen. There was always noise from the bathroom (vacuum in the pipes?) which was quite disturbing during the night. Internet was slow and frozen couple of times. Breakfast is really good, I tried full English, salmon w/ scrambled eggs and berries, all were great. Check-out was very slow.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — many things
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank blackszabbi
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2008

This is the best hotel I have stayed in in London. It is close to all the theatres and not tofa from the shopping. It is very chic with the most fantastic coloured lifts which change colour from the daytime to the night time. The staff were excellent and could not have been more helpful whilst remaining very discreet, including the cleaning staff. The room Ii stayed in was a round suite which gave you great views down to the Waterloo Bridge. Even though you are in central London the noise from traffic was non existent. My daughter loved the TV in the bathroom! Food in the hotel was great. Be sure that you are prepared for London 5* prices but you will think it well worth it. Particularily good for those who love London love a chic hotel with a great pool and gym and treatments area. My daughter who is twelve thoroughly enjoyed her stay and for that reason and the services for kids I would recommend it for families also.

• Liked — The standard and quality of the rooms and sevice of the staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank FizzyLife
Cardiff
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Thank you One Aldwych, we had a wonderful time. Excellent location, great lobby bar, helpful staff, small but perfectly thought out bedrooms. Won't be staying anywhere else.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
the Netherlands
Reviewed December 11, 2007

Last November I stayed for the first time in One Aldwych. I have been a Claridges-fan for over 20 years. In fact both hotels cannot be compared but I have to say that the boutique flavour of this hotel stroke me as very pleasant indeed. Perfect location, especially for theater and night-life. I stayed there with one of my sons and was positively surprised by the very friendly attitude of the staff (they kept on trying to pronounce my kind of difficult Dutch surname). Room had lovely features, very good beds and linnen and as a very frequent hotel visitor the small televisionset in the bathroom was a first-timer for me. I loved the á la carte breakfast and they do offer splendid massages. I'll definately be back!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family