“First Class hotel in a great location”
Review of Brown's Hotel

Brown's Hotel
Ranked #23 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“First Class hotel in a great location”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights this week (admittedly on a significantly discounted rate!) and came away very impressed with the whole experience.
The location is very convenient for the West En, and easily accessed from Green Park tube station. The building interior is wonderful, although we did not make use of most of the facilities due to other arrangements. Our room was very comfortable with the only downside being the view - but what can you expect given the central location? And the staff were very good and responsive.
I hope we can afford to go back again and try out the restaurant, etc.

1 Thank GrumpsDC
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you so much for all of your positive comments, particularly in relation to my team. I am so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations. We do have a number of packages that are available throughout the year, particularly at weekends, and I do so hope they will fit your budget for a future visit. If I can be of assistance please let me know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Having visited Browns for Afternoon tea for a family member’s birthday I had to come on here to write a review. I have visited several Hotels in London for afternoon tea and Browns is now by far my favorite.
The staff was extremely friendly and attentive, the food, which included finger sandwiches, scones and cakes, was delicious and constantly replenished without us even having to ask. There was even too much food for us all to eat.
I suffer from a nut allergy and was provided with my own selection of food and the staff couldn’t have been more accommodating.
I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending Browns to others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind comments following your recent visit for afternoon tea. We pride ourselves on being able to meet the requirements of guests with allergiesand I am pleased that you enjoyed your own special selection.
West Yorkshire
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on our first night of our honeymoon. The staff from checking to concierge were great. Donovan's cocktail bar is a must, try the signature martini.

However the room a 'executive king size' was poor. The room had no view, was next to an air conditioning duct and was so dimly lit you couldn't see in the clothes hanging area. We paid £475 for the night and we believe it is vastly overrated. We have stayed in a number of good hotels in London, but would not recommend it purely because of the price to standard of room experienced. It's a shame because the staff are very good.

Room Tip: Unless you can afford a suite then I would not recommend staying.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
May I firstly offer my own personal congratulations on your recent marriage and wish you every happiness for the future together. I am very sorry that you left Brown's with a less than favourable impression. We always try to exceed our guest expectations, particularly on such a special occasion as this. Although we have a small portion or our rooms that look on to an internal courtyard, the larger portion of them, excluding Suites, look outwards on to Dover Stret and Albemarle Street. Having chosen Brown's to celebrate the beginning of your married life, I do so hope that you might choose us for future anniversaries and ask that your booking is made through my office in order that we can on your next visit exceed your expectations and show one of those other rooms described above. Thank you once again.
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

A very relaxing couple of hours drinking as much tea as we wanted and eating as much as we wished of delicious finger sandwiches, melt in the mouth scones with jam and cream and a delectable assortment of cakes. Our waiter Saliya looked after us very well.
Afterwards, whilst admiring the floor tiles, we met Darren the hotel's engineer who took us through to show us the bar and told us very interesting facts about the hotel etc, he is obviously very passionate about his place of work and rounded our trip off nicely.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to others.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie A
Sandbach, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

When I arrived, I had a fantastic welcome by the friendly doormen. The service in the tea room was excellent. My room was great! All the staff made me feel like I was at home. Looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Susy R
westchester county, ny
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We arrived exceptionally exhausted - and we were told our room was still occupied...but was offered an upgrade for a little more money..which was SO worth it. Very large, quiet room, no view, but very comfortable bed and tremendous bathroom. The staff warmed up to us after a few days. Loved Mustafa, the evening concierge and Rita at the Front desk...both were exceptional!
Lovely afternoon tea and great bar !! Breakfast was sufficient..not as good as the other Rocco Forte Hotels.. (like Hotel de Rome in Berlin and Amigo in Brussels..those breakfast buffets are amazing). Would definitely stay here again..You cannot beat the location !!!

Room Tip: Room 218 - very quiet... but no view...
Cullercoats, Tyne and Wear
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel is lovely but not perfect by any means.

My daughter and I stayed 3 nights.

Our room was on the small side but very comfortable and clean.

Highlights - the central location, the ambiance, Afternoon tea, and breakfast in the restaurant.

Downsides - It took a little while for the staff to get to know us as we were out and about most of the time. When I tried booking for afternoon tea the receptionist repeatedly suggested I book it online... I had to gently point out that we were guests of the hotel! Secondly the room wasn't prepared for 2 female guests, the turndown service laid out one male and one female pair of slippers and placed a treat (night cream/face wash etc) on one pillow only. You'd have thought that after the first day they could've adjusted things accordingly. In many hotels if you've forgotten something they bend over backwards to help out...I asked if I could use some selotape... the receptionist insisted that they didn't have any - office supplies needed to be ordered - and that wasn't managed in the 3 days of our stay. Yet another small disappointment. During afternoon tea I found a chicken bone in my coronation chicken sandwich - I discretely mentioned it to the waiter - he simply took my plate away with a nod not wanting to discuss the matter.

I know I'm being a bit picky but this is a very, very expensive hotel with a reputation that it should be able to live up to and therefore my expectations were that much greater. I'm sure that if you went back 10 or 20 years a stay at this hotel would've been spectacular.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SouthernGeordie
StuartJohnsonLondon, Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest, I was glad to note that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and the location of our hotel , I was sorry to read that you felt that the special touches that generally characterise a stay with us were missing and I should be grateful if you would be kind enough to email me direct at hfernandes@roccofortehotels.com with a telephone number where I may contact you to discuss with you personally the points you raise.

Yours sincerely