Brown's Hotel
Ranked #22 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've rated Brown's a 5 instead of a 4 strictly because of the employees....My husband has stayed at Brown's several times and raved about about how charming it is. Since we were going to be there 8 nights , they offered us an upgraded room (at a price), which I understand from co-workers this is general op procedure. Hubby said he'd been in much better rooms than the one we were offered. Is being on the street side worth 40pounds a night more? I really don't think so. I considered the room (#320) shabby. The carpet was rolling and stretched in places and furnishings just weren't that nice. The King size bed is actually 2 twins pushed together which would of been ok - if a nice mattress pad had been used to smooth the area where the beds meet. However, the room was clean and housekeeping was great about bringing ice, turn down service etc.

The best part of our stay - the concierge service - need theater tickets? No problem - even scored hard to get tickets for The Book of Morman. Dinner reservations? No problem - they'll suggest and secure. They greeted us by name when we approached the desk, asked how we liked the shows, how the food was etc. The doorman welcomed me back and asked how my when I returned and was quick to offer an umbrella when it was sleeting.

It seems that all the employees of Brown's are friendly, smile and say hi - This is what makes Brown's worth staying at.

If you go, book afternoon tea reservations prior to your arrival. The sandwiches and scones are delicious, the cakes were a little dry but still tasted good.

Room Tip: Don't be tempted to get the "upgrade". The original room you booked will be just as ni...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor particularly in relation to my team who always strive to go the extra mile. I appreciate your comments on the room that you had taken and wish to assure you that we are some way through a soft furnishing renovation including carpets and which will be accelerated in the next six weeks. I do so hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back on a future occasion when if I can be of any further assistance I ask tha you not hesitate in letting me know.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed March 25, 2013

You certainly will not leave hungry, if you have afternoon tea here. The hotel’s website gives a fairly accurate description of what to expect. We had tea on 19th of March to celebrate a special birthday. The English tea room was busy, but people’s arrival time was scattered. Although when you book ,you are told that you have the table for 90 minutes, no-one asked us to move after that time; the tables around us were also being very leisurely. Service was good, but no mention of the price on the website indicated that 12.5% would be added to the cost of afternoon tea in the form of a service charge. There were only 2 of us in our party and there is not an option to serve yourself! I think that the true cost should be published on the website. I was also surprised and disappointed by the fact that there were only 2 cakes, a chocolate one and a victoria sandwich, to choose from on the trolley. When we left a number of guests were still eating, but all the chocolate cake had gone. I had heard very good reports about afternoon tea at Brown’s, so was a little disappointed in the quantity of the sandwich fillings and the variety of cakes available. Sandwiches, scones ,cakes etc. are all small, but this is not a problem as you will be offered us many sandwiches and scones as you want.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your entry following a visit for Afternoon Tea and also for bringing to our attention that our website has inadvertently dropped the identification of a discretionary 12.5% service charge, now remedied. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your tea with us. You mention your disappointment at only having two cakes upon the trolley. This follows the wider selection of smaller pastries, of which you are able to have as many as you would like, and we always have ample refills of the larger cakes on the trolley as well.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I joined Leading Hotels of the World last year and have tried to stay exclusively in them in order to use the member benefits. Brown's was exceptional! Incredibly helpful and attentive staff, exquisite bed, spacious room, wonderful restaurant and bar and the location...wow! You couldn't ask for more. I will most certainly be back! Many thanks.

Room Tip: Joining Leading Hotels of the World as they offer free room upgrades where available!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lucinda B
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor and for your overall appreciation of Brown's as a member of Leading Hotels of the World and the excellent service you received. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. It's quite quiet in comparison to some of the places we have stayed and I do feel that it is geared more towards maybe older couples. However I couldn't fault this hotel for what it was as the service, rooms, food were all excellent. The doorman was wonderful and very helpful.Browns is ideally located for shopping.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Part of the charm of Brown's is that it is a quiet hotel, but located in the bustling heart of Mayfair. I am pleased you enjoyed all we had to offer and I do hope you will visit again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My friend and I had an amazing experience at Brown's Hotel today. Unbelievably good tastes, lovely atmosphere, piano playing, great service and smiles by everybody, and we feel lucky to have been so well-treated by Abi - it so changes your experience when people love their job! We were surprised and very pleased to get a tea sample of the tea we had there to enjoy at home :) I would definitely recommend it and it certainly deserves the title of being one of the best in London!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent visit for Afternoon Tea and particularly good service from Abi. We strive always to exceed our guest expectations in delivering "The Best Afternoon Tea in London" and I am glad you were not disappointed.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Another fantastic stay at this wonderful hotel. A trip to London would not be complete without staying at Brown's. The staff are so warm and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Faultless room with every luxury whilst still retaining a warm and cosy atmosphere. We stayed 2 nights and slept peacefully waking each day to a glorious breakfast. Can't wait to return and well done to all the staff!!

Room Tip: All the ones we have had have been brilliant
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your glowing endorsement of another fantastic stay at Brown's with particular mention of the friendly staff and luxurious yet cosy atmosphere. I am pleased to know you had such an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Went for champagne afternoon tea on Sunday 24th February, attended by a young man called William who had only been with the hotel for three weeks. William is a credit to the hotel, smart, well spoken, polite, attentive and made a pleasant visit exceptional. The rest of the restaurant staff were very efficient and all in all a very enjoyable experience and one we will partake of next time we visit London.

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank tripper3965

Thank you for your glowing comments and for remarking upon the exceptional service, in particular by William our newest addition ot the Tea Room. Your kind comments have been passed on to al concerned and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to London.