“Outstanding”
Review of Brown's Hotel

Brown's Hotel
Ranked #21 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 29, 2012

After being unable to book in for afternoon tea , we decided we would book lunch . Everything was amaizing , from the service , atmosphere , food to the temperature of the red wine , perfect .if you like good quality food and fancy a treat then I would recomend . Will be back next year but do want to have afternoon tea next time

1  Thank Trix_L4
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for sharing your assesment of HIX Mayfair, I am pleased your enjoyed the food wine and service, sorry that we were unable to accomadate you for afternoon tea.....advanced bookeing advisable....we look forward to welcoming you back during the forth coming year,
Happy New year

There are newer reviews for Brown's Hotel

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for my husbands birthday (50th), the package that I secured had Champagne on arrival with fruit chocolate fondue and much more besides.

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very special the hotel itself has a wonderful relaxed but very luxurious atmosphere. On check in the reception upgraded us to a junior suite free of charge which was a lovely touch.

The room was contemporary and very comfortable, breakfast the following morning in Hix was very good again the service was attentive but not over bearing.

Would definitely recommend this hotel I know it isn't cheap but for special treat well worth the money two happy customers hopefully to be returning at some point soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear Madam,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feelings about Brown's following your recent stay, we appreciate contributing to such private occaisions and in some way making them memorable, I am so pleased your Husbands birthday was one of these and do s hope we can welcome you both for a return stay soon, Best wishes for a Very happy new Year,

Reviewed December 20, 2012

When all the other grand hotels are full for bookings on afternoon tea, you can still book about one month ahead for Brown’s. They may even allow a few walk-ins. Festive tea brings unlimited sandwiches, scones, mince pies, Christmas cake/log, tea cakes and petits-fours. All very tasty and beautifully presented. Nice atmosphere. Expensive at £51 per head but worth it.

Room Tip: Did not stay. So ignore sleep quality score. But best to look before finalising if you have any choi...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review following your visit for afternoon tea........something Brown's is renowned for I was pleased we were able to meet and exceed your expectations, indeed we will always try an accomadate bookings even on the day, though advance requests are adviseable, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon, best wishes for a very happy christmas and prosperous new year,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I do not often write reviews but felt as I use this site regularly when booking hotels/restaurants it was about time I gave something back.

I booked this hotel for a Christmas trip to London with my 3 children (2 of which are very young) after browsing on the Internet 'best places to stay in London with children'. I have stayed in London frequently over the years and had yet to find somewhere that was luxurious, atmospheric, stylish and ..... Amazing for the children. A combination that doesn't always go hand in hand.

I had previously booked another hotel for our trip and had no qualms about cancelling that after speaking with Alastair. Booking was easy & efficient, I felt assured that I was making the right choice.

Our 3 hour car journey turned into a 5 hour journey (not brill with a 2 & a 4 year old) so we arrived at the hotel a little lack lustre. The doormen were very pleasant and welcoming. Our ridiculous amount of luggage was taken in and our car taken away to be parked.

The hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas and felt very atmospheric on entry. It boasts tasteful, modern decor without losing character or charm & has a boutique feel.

Check-in was amazing. A member of staff kindly entertained our children and gave them sweets whilst we checked in. The lady behind the desk was warm, friendly and very professional. We were shown to our room by which time I had forgotten about the nightmare journey.

We were very fortunate to have been upgraded to a suite on the 3rd floor with an interconnecting bedroom. It was beautifully decorated and had a homely feel. There were some lovely surprises for the children and the room was very well equipped for our requirements.

The beds were very comfortable, including the cot I presume as my 2 year old slept beautifully. We were situated at the back of the hotel and backed onto Dover street which is quite vibrant at night, however the glazing was very adequate as we weren't disturbed.

We enjoyed in-room dining and dined at Hix Mayfair (the in-house restaurant). The food was superb, perhaps lacked a little atmosphere although this was not a concern as we were occupied with our children. Breakfast was a little on the average side but nothing worth complaining about. I had a couple of peach Bellini's in the room & in the restaurant which were beautiful. Had a sneaky peak into Donovan's bar which was very atmospheric and buzzy.

The hotel is superbly located, within 5 minutes walk of Bond St, Piccadilly & Hyde Park. Shopping has never been so easy!

Every member of staff I came into contact with during my stay at Brown's were friendly, familiar but unobtrusive & professional. We were all made to feel very welcome and special.

All in all a fabulous stay with the family at this gem of a Mayfair hotel. We will definitely return and recommend to family & friends.

Perhaps not all the glitz and the glam of some of the hotels I've stayed in but it's not any of those I have taken time to write a review about so take of that what you will.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, weloming the younger generation is something we strive to exceed in .....makes the parents relax! I was so pleased your whole family enjoyed thier vist, we shall look forwrad to you all returning soon, when if i can assist with your requirements and or my team can add anything to make your stays more comfortable we ask that you not hestitate in letting us know, best wishes fora vey happy christmas with your family and prosperous new year,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

I booked this as a combined 85th birthday and Christmas treat for my mother.

The hotel is gorgeous in any case - with decor that is modern, restrained, and restful whilst still in keeping with the history of the building - but it was the staff made our visit extra special. From the moment we stepped out of the cab we were made to feel so welcome. Reception were friendly, helpful, and efficient - the concierge likewise. There was one member of staff at breakfast who was a bit grumpy - but he was still attentive.

The birthday cake and champagne on ice for my mother in our room on arrival was a delightful touch. The room, including the bathroom, was lovely - and although overlooking the street was completely quiet thanks to the triple glazing. I'm quite fussy about hotel rooms - but this one ticked all the right boxes!

We had one mishap one morning when a light bulb blew, and tripped the fuse for the whole room - but the maintenance engineer was up within three minutes of contacting reception and sorted it with quiet efficiency. That seems to be the hotel's manner - everything gets done quietly and efficiently - no fuss - just excellent service.

Although advised to book afternoon tea the day before I was too slow and they were fully booked by the time I got myself organised. However we were then accommodated due to somebody else's no-show. Their loss - our gain - particularly around the waistline ;-).

Breakfast, as expected, was lovely with good choices. I'm partial to eggs benedict, which I would never cook for myself at home, but is a special treat when I'm staying in a good hotel where I predict they won't overcook the eggs and can make hollandaise. I'm pleased to report that it was close to perfect! The only criticism we had was that the plates for the cooked breakfasts weren't hot enough - so the food cooled too quickly.

So - we had a fabulous stay. Loved it and I'm desperately trying to think of a good excuse for a return visit soon....

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind words , we value contributing to such special and private occaisions and I am pleased to learn my team were able to add to the mile stone birthday , don't try too hard to think of a reason to return , when we shall look forward to weloming you many time in 2013,
best wishes for a very happy christmas and a prosperous new year,

Reviewed November 28, 2012

It's years since I visited Brown's last and I should not have left it so long. Faultless service in every respects. There is nothing more to add except I will not being leaving it so long until the next time.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the quieter rooms if you need more sleep.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
StuartJohnsonLondon, General Manager at Brown's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive endorsement of Brown's following your recent visit after a gap of some years. I am pleased to know we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back before too long.

Yours sincerely

Stuart Johnson

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Had super lunch ... we arrived very late at 3pm but the waiting staff were fantastic, soup and pork gorgeous, puddings a little lack lustre but perfectly fine. My Friends dishes were equally as good. If you want old world charm this is the place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

I am pleased we were able to welcome you for lunch in HIX Mayfair and that you found your starters and main courses to be exceptional ....I will have a word with the pasty chef to ensure our puddings do not lack lustre. Thank you for your feedback, it has been most valuable.

Yours sincerely