“Cute and VERY English”
Review of Portobello Hotel

Portobello Hotel
Ranked #479 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed in June and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The staff are great, the breakfast's in the lounge overlooking the garden were good, and the hotel is a quick walk down to Notting Hill and Portobello Road. I love the fact they let you have b'fast till 12pm.....
The beds are very comfortable and although the bathroom is TINY, we liked the room. Great value and so much more enjoyable than staying on one of those monster corporate hotels in London. They also own Julie's restaurant, just a 5 minute walk away, which is wonderful. We will be back!

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the private garden are quiet.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TrisaraManager

Reviewed May 25, 2012

We absolutely loved this hotel. It's faded elegance is such a refreshing change from many other London hotels. We had a gorgeous circular bed with a sweet balcony and a huge bath in our room. Beautiful, a little bit expensive but just lovely. Staff were kind and pleasant but not intrusive and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlotte E
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I live in London and stayed here with my friend who was over from Australia on a girly night out. This hotel really needs to be updated to London standards. Some may say this is a charming hotel but hotels can be charming, cool and of high quality. It was very expensive. The chap on concierge had poor customer service and overall my experience at this hotel was disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This hotel looked lovely on the site, but the reality was very different. It is not charming, but old and tired and ridiculously over priced for what you get. The rooms are all tiny as on arrival we were so disappointed and asked to be changed (£300 a night and no room to put a suitcase) but found all the rooms were of the same size and comprised of the same tired old furniture and fake dusty antiques. This is a tourist trap to be avoided.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Penny200
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Avoid at all costs this hotel which is trying to live on past glories.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank spendingpension
Reviewed October 21, 2011

After staying in Dublin, my beau and I flew to London to spend his Birthday in the Portobello Hotel, in Notting Hill. It is very small, quiet and felt like staying in someone's house rather than an hotel. Our room was bright and cheerful, the bathtub in the middle of the room. Definitely for couples only!!! We ordered breakfast up to our room every morning and the coffee, fruits and croissants were delicious as was the presentation of all silver service pieces. It was fun to walk around the area, go to the Portobello Road antique market, look in to all the lovely shops, and some cozy and delicious restaurants. We could walk to Kensington Palace, and the bus stops to everywhere were a block away, and taxis bountiful. I highly recommend to people who want to avoid the hustle and bustle of being in heart of London, and want to hear birds chirping in the morning and flowers blooming everywhere.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WiggyManhattan
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I had been invited to a very special friend's birthday party. One of those '0' ones so i knew it would be a late do, so sensible to stay over I thought. Checking around I came across the Portobello, which just happens to be in the next street to where I was going, Have a look on their web-site, I did, it looks great. About 3 weeks before the event I rang to book a room, now I should point out that they aren't cheap £145 (ex VAT) for a single up to £315 (ex VAT) for the best. The cheapest double works out at £234 inc Vat, but the 20% offer mentioned on the website apparently only applies to bookings made on the day, a novel way of pricing thought I! I found another bookings site which actually showed the number of rooms available and tracked that so I did book on the morning of the day I was staying and got the room for £200 inc.

You have to look for it in Stanley Gardens, but the ubiquitous 2 Bay Trees gave it away so I pulled up on the yellow lines outside (it was a Sunday) and went in to check in. The young lady on reception was having a blazing row with some other guests who seemed to be having a row themselves, but that's life, so when she gave me that look which sort of implies that I had no right to be on the same planet as her I put it down to her recent experience. How wrong can you be! The welcome is neither warm or polite, but check in I did and then asked (because it wasn't offered) if someone could help me in with my bags. Someone was (after a very audible tut) summoned. I went up to the room! Small didn't come into it, how 2 people manage I'd love to know, then I looked at the bathroom! Tired would be polite. It had a toilet, facing the shower room with a washbasin in between, not so much a room, more a corridor! Having driven for 2 hours I made use of the facility, but I could not get the flush to work. I knew I had to move my car so I went down to reception and explained about the problem with the flush, only to be told that 'I had to push hard' Not sure she was happy when I said that for £200 per night I didn't push hard on anything, but she said she'd get someone to look at it whilst I sorted my car out. On my return I was assured that someone had been up to the room and was again advised to 'push hard'
On the plus side this Hotel does have complimentary wifi and that was easy enough to get connected too.
Early October this year was unseasonably warm, the hotel doesn't suffer from air conditioning and my little room was getting hotter so I thought I'd have a shower. That was a challenge. Firstly you have to climb into it, secondly to get to the tap you have to close the door, thirdly the cubicle is so small you can't avoid the water, end result you either get very cold water or very hot! Not bad for over £200 eh!
It's impossible to dry yourself off in the bathroom so back into my now even hotter pen where I changed into my party outfit, sweating profusely and I set off for the party. On the way through reception I mentioned the heat and without a smile I was told that they could put an air-conditioner in my room and, fair enough it was there when I got back. These portable units could not be described as quiet and to use it you have to open the window and doing that lets in the loud traffic noise from Kensington Park Road, a bus route and hilly at that point too. So the choice was sleep cool, but be woken by the noise, or sleep warm, I opted for warm, although as they haven't yet found double glazing the noise element is still very much there.
I watched some tv, marveling at the way the wiring to the wall mounted set had been done in black with no effort made to conceal it, sent down for a glass of wine which was served by the same guy as sorted out my luggage so I assume they run the place on 2 people with some chambermaids in the morning.
Continental Breakfast is included in the rate and you can have it served in your room, but as there was nowhere to sit and not being a breakfast fan I skipped it, maneuvering round the shower was challenge enough!
There is a mini-bar, they charge for water which is not stored in the fridge.
Wardrobe space is at a premium, if you are staying more than one night and there are 2 of you, you'll struggle They do use duvets on the beds though which I thoroughly approve of.
Would I go back? No
Would I recommend this hotel, no unless you really do want to be in that particular part of Notting Hill and your stay is short.

Room Tip: The more expensive room might be bigger, I don't know, but the noise problem will be the same as...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo