COMO The Halkin, London
Cheshams(London)
  • Pool
The Hari(London)
  • Restaurant
All reviewshyde park cornerquiet streetcomo shambalaa small boutique hoteldeluxe roomsloane streetseparate showerbuckingham palacegreat boutiquewelcome drinkroom serviceafternoon teaconcierge deskperfect hotelbed was very comfortablenext trip to londonwithin easy walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Perfect in every way. I booked the halkin, for my wife's 30th birthday on recomendation. The hotel is tucked away, near all the embassies. the rooms are luxurious, with really comfortable beds,
the restaurant ( Nahm is lovely). What really sets this hotel apart from the rest is the concierge. I had a list of things i wanted to book for the birthday trip and all i did was sent them an email with a list and they did the rest, They sorted out horse riding in hyde park, private cabins on the london eye, tickets to phantom of the opera, and private dining in some of london's finest restaurants. I barely had to lift a finger. Stefano, Diego and Justin really looked after us. if you want a taxi from the hotel they go outside, find one and bring it to the front of the hotel too, Justin even queued up outside the british museum from 6 am to get us tickets for the terracotta army at the british museum. Perfect. Go. Enjoy.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SimonWakefield, General Manager at COMO The Halkin, London, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Reviewed December 17, 2007

Overall I really liked The Halkin. It is on a quiet street in Belgravia and within walking easy walking distance to Sloane Street, Harrods and Beauchamp Place. I loved the bed, as well as the electronic control of the lighting and temperature. Turndown service was great. Minor problems: the closet doors were hard to open and shut and not very convenient for putting clothes in and getting them out. The small flat screen TV was not ideally situated in terms of viewing from the bed. The bathroom was great because it had windows (I had a corner room) and you could listen to the TV in there, but the showerhead was not adjusting as it should have, and the towels were not very fluffy. Also, the room was a bit cold, even after putting the heat on maximum, although that is kind of typical in London. I did not like the Como shambala bath products. Hyde Park Corner underground is five minutes away by foot.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank voyageurNY

Reviewed November 6, 2007

It is difficult to make up my mind about the Halkin, where i have stayed 3 times. What's excellent is the small size of the hotel and the huge size of my deluxe rooms, the Thai restaurant and the immediate access to Nobu in the sister hotel Metropolitan. What is less than excellent is the bathrooms-huge, very design and very luxurious but impractical. You can hardly go in and out the bathtub and the separate shower dispenses water to the entire floor. Service is a bit erratic, though overall good though not for a 380 pound a night hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank BagsParis_france

Reviewed October 5, 2007

I recently spent a few days in a Belgravia Suite at the Halkin. It was simply my best hotel stay in London so far.

Greeted with truffles from Charbonnel et Walker, fruit, fresh orange juice and water. Large and very comfortable room with a separate sitting area, superior technology (Hi and Wifi, lighting), brown marble bathroom with separate shower, excellent toiletries from Como Shambhala, bath salts, two types of robes, etc. Good turndown service.

I had lunch and dinner at Nahm, and both were excellent (service a little stiff). Breakfast (à la carte) was unusually good for London: really fresh juice (this is getting rare in hotels), honeycomb, good jams, muesli from Southern Alps, excellent egg-white omelette, loose-leaf tea.

The hotel has no spa but I walked (about ten minutes) to the Metropolitan and used the spa there. It is nothing special (very 1990s, rather small and in the basement) but I was told they plan to build a new spa on the top floor.

I had almost given up on luxury hotels in London but I loved my stay at the Hakin: Asian restraint + Italian style + good location + quiet.

Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank topsmed

Reviewed September 21, 2007

I recently enjoyed a five day stay at The Halkin in London. The Halkin is located in Belgravia, one of London's most exclusive neighborhoods, just a two and a half block walk to Hyde Park. You can walk from The Halkin to Harvey Nichols or Harrod's department stores in about five to ten minutes. The Hyde Park Corner Underground station is two and a half blocks from the front door of the hotel...this is very convenient because you can take the Underground's Picadilly Line directly from Heathrow Airport to the Hyde Park Corner station in about 45 minutes and then walk to the hotel...The Underground will cost you only 3 or 4 pounds (if you have an Oyster card) versus 40-50 pounds via taxi. Then again, people who stay at The Halkin probably are not too concerned with saving money, given that rooms start at about $500.00 per night.

I stayed in a King Double room which is the lowest price room at The Halkin. My room was on the fifth floor, the top floor of the hotel. The fifth floor is popular because the rooms there have curved ceilings which give the space a very dramatic, architectural quality (I've posted pictures so that you can see). My room also had a rather large amount of custom wood panelling that had a minimalist aesthetic. The bathroom had loads of beautiful black marble with an inlay on the floor.

The furnishings in my room were tasteful and in very good condition (in fact, the room looked almost brand new). Lighting is controlled by an electronic panel on the wall which also has buttons that you press to let housekeeping know that you don't want to be disturbed, or, conversely that you'd like the room to be made up. There are touch screen displays on each side of the bed which allowed me to control the lighting without even having to get out of bed. Very nice.

The staff was courteous and professional. I only ate breakfast in the restaurant, but the food was great. In fact, someone told me the restaurant is considered one of the best in town.

I only have two complaints about The Halkin:

The Halkin is the sort of place where guests dress as though they are either about to head out to Harrods for an afternoon of power shopping or about to have lunch at the country club before hitting the links for a round of golf. On the other hand, I tend to dress extremely casually. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these people who wears sweatsuits everywhere...but I do live in a pair boots, a pair of jeans and a hip t-shirt. I felt uncomfortable at The Halkin because I was dressed so much more casually than any other person there.

My second complaint concerns noise in the hotel. It has been noted that The Halkin borders an ongoing construction project. This is true. And yet, I never heard a peep from the construction even though my room overlooked the construction site. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the housekeeping closet which was located directly across the hall from my room. Unlike most hotels in which the housekeeping staff pushes a cart from room to room, housekeeping staff at The Halkin keep supplies in a closet and walk back and forth between the rooms they are working in and the closet containing supplies. This meant that every morning, all morning long, I heard the housekeeping staff rummaging around in that closet and opening and closing the door to that closet. And yes, it was loud enough to wake me. I feel sure I was the only room on my floor disturbed by this noise given my proximity to the housekeeping closet. So if you stay at The Halkin, make certain the housekeeping closet is not across the hall from your front door.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at The Halkin. I would definitely recommend it for anyone wanting to indulge in a bit of luxury. And I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo