“Amazing, Amazing, Amazing.”

Ranked #43 of 1,069 Hotels in London
cork
“Amazing, Amazing, Amazing.”
Reviewed March 29, 2009

As a treat for my daughter's birthday we recently went to the Dorchester for Afternoon tea. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel so welcome and with smiles and hellos from everyone. We were quickly shown to our table, The Promenade, where afternoon tea is served is sumptuously decorated and I sat on a beautiful sofa with plumped cushions and my daughter in an oversized extremely comfortable armchair. The staff were courteous, prompt, and efficient and yet everything felt relaxed, the piano player in the middle of the room played easy on the ear numbers, just at the right level so you could carry on a conversation with ease. The food was great, I loved the selection of sandwiches, which the waiter came and offered more of and as much of them as we liked, the scones were melt in the mouth with the best jam ever and of course the delicious clotted cream to go with them. The pastries were a delight on the palate and the waiter, as with all the food explained what each one was and what was in them. I joked with one waiter if he had tried all the cakes himself to the reply of "yes I admit I tried them all" but, he, like me loved the scones best though my daughter adored the cakes, actually it was hard to decide. A well known personality passed by at one stage, but at the Dorchester everyone is made to feel special so it was no big deal. The best was yet to come for as I mentioned it was my daughter's birthday and one of the waiters came out with a gorgeous chocolate cake complete with candle and the piano player played Happy Birthday. Of course we had to have some, it was amazing and what was left they put in a box for us. There is a time limit on your stay however this was never an issue as we were never hurried and and at all times were made to feel totally relaxed. I cant wait to go back again it was the best afternoon tea experience ever.

• Stayed March 2009
2 Thank e-golden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Having stayed and was impressed by its sister hotel in Milan, I had made a two nights reservation at The Dorchester months ahead. Enjoyed special weekend rates (265 pounds) for a Deluxe room with full English breakfasts included.

Upon arrival, we were shown to a ""suite-like"" room, which I learnt later was a small upgrade to their Executive room, about 50 pounds extra a night. What a gesture, I thought! The room, number 709, was located at the corner of the building, rather large but not overly so - walk in area leads to separated small closet area, bathroom (very deep tub indeed!) and a door leading to the bedroom.

The bedroom is quite spacious, with a lovely four poster bed - very romantic indeed. There was a sofa chair in the room, with work desk, make up table and mirror. I had asked for a Hyde Park view room earlier, but wasn't too impressed with the view when I actually saw it ... lots of greenery but with no flowers in sight, slightly disappointed.

The hotel is facing a busy road, so there was some road noise during the day. At night, it was rather quiet for a good nights sleep though. Common areas though very classy and elegant, surprisingly, is not overly large. It basically contains two restaurants, The Promenade and The Grill.

Breakfasts at The Promenade was both yummy and high quality. 3 course set lunch at The Grill was rather good value and tasty. However, I had food poisoning a few hours after eating my medium cooked ''Wild Salmon" - do be careful if ordering this dish.. ...My husband's roast beef was pretty good, though.

Overall, our two nights stay here was as wonderful and memorable as it could be. However, these are some areas the Hotel could improve upon -
1. there was no iron and ironing board in the room
2. no coffee or tea making facility in the room
3. the Queen sized bed was a tad small
4. location to the neartest tube station was a 10-12 minutes walk (not the hotel's fault)
5. slightly noisy during the day, even when room was on the 7th floor

This famous hotel is located in the classy Mayfair residential district, where you could see some Bently, Mercedes S-class, Rolls Royce etc. However, to get to some shopping or some eating, you would have to walk at least 8-10 minutes. Staff are all well trained and polite.

Book this hotel and you won't regret staying here!

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JChua
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed March 26, 2009

This was my first time at the Dorchester and hope to visit again. The location is excellent right across from Hyde Park and a short walk to the Hyde Park Circle Tube stop. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Had breakfast in the lounge and ordered room service, both of which were prompt and yummy! Large rooms with wonderful bathrooms. Just an overall excellent hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kayla73
Rolling Hills Estates, California
Reviewed March 23, 2009

If you are used to staying at 5 star hotels in the US this is going to be a little different in that its not new and huge. Rather it has a classic feel to it. Its an older hotel. The service is very good and the tea lounge is fantastic. The rooms felt average, but a good size. Again this is probably because I'm used to newer plush hotel rooms. But the bathroom was superb. Huge tub, towel warmers, marble, etc.
The hotel location was pretty good in that it was central, but you need a cab to get to something. Unlike the Ritz or the Mandarin which are across the street from lots of shopping opportunities. There is also an excellent but pricey French restaurant in this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yoosh
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Having stayed once before was looking forward to a three night stay in a junior suite, booked direct with hotel.

Helpful, courteous pick up at airport from an early morning flight. Was informed at check in that the room type we had booked was not yet ready, hardly surprising as it was still only 0800. We were offered a "very nice superior room" as being available immediately. having slept adequately in overnight first on TG and being keen to get out and explore we were happy to wait for the junior suite to become ready later in the day. I wasn't given any other information on the room we were being offered to know whether to accept it or not and was concerned not to end up paying for a basic room when i had booked a "junior suite".

What a mistake! The "suite" was adjacent to intrusive AC compressors, and was best described as low ceilinged council house 1980s chic overlooking more of the same - think Peabody trust without the altrusitic pricing structure. Lots of swaggy curtains, yet nowhere to unpack a suitcase and a Holiday Inn style bathroom with a marble tiled makeover. Except the shower screen din't fit and meant the bathroom floor was drenched whenever one showered.

Despite assurances that our luggage would be in the room when we returned at 2.30 pm, it wasn't. The receptionist who escorted us to the room assured me he would arrange for it immediately once the oversight was realised. I imagine he forgot. 20 minutes later I called the bell desk, the luggage arrived about 10 minutes later.

We decided to freshen up before dinner with a steam to sweat out 11 hours of flying. The spa / steam room was closed for renovation. I was starting to get a bit tetchy by this stage, but the concierge was helpful and arranged for us to use the steam room at the Park Lane Hilton. That, followed by a pint in Shepherds Market, made me realise that there were numerous alternative hotels that would work for us and offering better value too. On our return I informed the receptionist that we planned to check out early. She helpfully informed me that we had already been given a room upgrade and that there was nothing to be done. I'd hoped for service - not freebie upgrades. Shame.

We returned to the room just after 8pm. It hadn't been made up.

I called the Duty Manager, more to vent frustration at the P--- poor service and VFM that the Dorchester was peddling. To his credit he seemed concerned and to want to make a difference. He asked what he could do to make amends. Having irretrievably lost faith in the Dorchester's ability to deliver service or value it might have helped more if he could have suggested something himself. In my jetlagged state I could only suggest he made sure our revised check out date was noted by reception so that I could move to a hotel that "did what it says on the tin".

A bill of around 800 pounds for an overnight stay was presented in the morning. We moved to the Park Lane Sheraton, which promises rather less but delivered substantially more - at half the price.

The positives? Breakfast is pretty good. Should be at 35 pounds or so, but I don't begrudge paying for quality.

Sadly, the rest of our Dorchester "experience" fell shamefully short.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank frenchfrank
los angeles and chicago
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My daughter and I spent 2 nights at the hotel with her friend to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Our room was ready when we checked in at 1030am which was a nice surprise. The room was beautiful and there was more than enough room for the 3 of us. When we got back from our day out there was a huge dessert tray with a small birthday cake for my daughter. The girls loved it to say the least. The staff is extremely accomodating and look to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. My only complaint would be that they charge you renting a DVD player whereas other hotels in this class all have DVD players in the rooms and they are complimentary. While the hotel is not the cheapest in London, the service, location and rooms are fantastic. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank girlslove2travel
surrey
Reviewed February 21, 2009

We stayed at the Dorchester for a Wedding at the end of December and can say that the standards of the hotel lived up to expectation.

It isn't cheap but you are in a central London hotel and can get some good deals. The rooms were well decorated and spacious with a large bathroom.

All staff were very profssional and courteous and couldnt do enough to help.

The only slight disappointment was the very poor service at breakfast but staff were very apologetic and removed service charge from the bill.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple