As a treat for my daughter's birthday we recently went to the Dorchester for Afternoon tea. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel so welcome and with smiles and hellos from everyone. We were quickly shown to our table, The Promenade, where afternoon tea is served is sumptuously decorated and I sat on a beautiful sofa with plumped cushions and my daughter in an oversized extremely comfortable armchair. The staff were courteous, prompt, and efficient and yet everything felt relaxed, the piano player in the middle of the room played easy on the ear numbers, just at the right level so you could carry on a conversation with ease. The food was great, I loved the selection of sandwiches, which the waiter came and offered more of and as much of them as we liked, the scones were melt in the mouth with the best jam ever and of course the delicious clotted cream to go with them. The pastries were a delight on the palate and the waiter, as with all the food explained what each one was and what was in them. I joked with one waiter if he had tried all the cakes himself to the reply of "yes I admit I tried them all" but, he, like me loved the scones best though my daughter adored the cakes, actually it was hard to decide. A well known personality passed by at one stage, but at the Dorchester everyone is made to feel special so it was no big deal. The best was yet to come for as I mentioned it was my daughter's birthday and one of the waiters came out with a gorgeous chocolate cake complete with candle and the piano player played Happy Birthday. Of course we had to have some, it was amazing and what was left they put in a box for us. There is a time limit on your stay however this was never an issue as we were never hurried and and at all times were made to feel totally relaxed. I cant wait to go back again it was the best afternoon tea experience ever.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Dorchester occupies the most prestigious acre and a half of real estate in the world, in the heart of Mayfair overlooking the glorious green expanse of Hyde Park. The preferred hotel of British society, The Dorchester embodies the highest service values whilst its design and character exude 1930s glamour with a contemporary edge. Prized for its spacious and beautifully designed rooms and suites, The Dorchester’s restaurants and bars - Alain Ducasse, China Tang, The Grill and The Promenade – also attract Londoners and the glitterati alike. The Dorchester Spa was recently transformed to create the most desirable and indulgent pampering destination in London with a uniquely named Spatisserie for tea and cake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Dorchester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Dorchester Hotel London
- Dorchester Hotel London
- Dorchester London
- The Dorchester London, England