“very nice hotel, staff are a credit to the hotel”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #36 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“very nice hotel, staff are a credit to the hotel”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed here for a night with my family when we went to London for the weekend. it is a very luxurious well designed hotel. on arrival the staff are straight away very helpful with our bags etc. The location of the hotel is very central but not too central to be in the hustle and bustle of London city centre. The breakfast and Chinese restaurant in the hotel are highly recommended. My family particularly enjoyed the smoothies at breakfast as you could pick whatever flavours and combinations you want. I was especially impressed with the design and decor of the hotel. Our room was one of the family rooms and was very spacious as it had two separate bedrooms each going off a mini hallway. the bathroom was very clean and spacious. My only criticism was that after we had been out for dinner our TV failed to work however due to the punctuality and fantastic staff this shortly was fixed. A fantastic hotel and after a long day of walking around London it was nice to be greeted by the staff and the immaculate rooms. We even managed to spot 2 celebrities during our stay! however i do think it is a little over priced for what you are getting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Isabella M
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Isabella M,
Thank you for your complimentary feedback on your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am pleased you enjoyed the experience and that you enjoyed dining in China Tang and breakfast in The Promenade, especially the smoothies. I am also pleased to read how much you appreciated the service and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2014

London has an incredible selection of very high quality hotels. I did a lot of research prior to making a choice since a week's stay at a 5 star hotel in arguably the world's most expensive city would add an extra column on my Visa statement.

I selected the Dorchester and stayed in a Junior Suite. The front desk staff were extremely friendly and welcoming during check in. I was accompanied to my room and it was large and very beautiful, decorated in stunning authentic art deco style. The construction of the hotel is such that it was considered a safe place to stay for VIPs during the blitz (worthwhile to read Wikipedia on the history of the hotel) and as a result the rooms (or at least the one I stayed in) are the ultimate sanctuary in terms of snuggling under the covers and sleeping soundly. The room did not have a terrace and it faced a beautiful inner courtyard, but also a large bank of ventilation fans.

Although the room was excellent, it was the experience of the hotel itself that is indelible. The lobby, the bars, the restaurants, the general magnificence of the place and above all the service of all levels of staff is the reason you stay at this hotel.

The location of the hotel is excellent. I am a runner and Hyde Park is right across the street, with a traffic light to take you across busy Park Lane and entrance to the park right across the street. It is a 4 mile run around the park, one of the most beautiful runs (or walks) imaginable. All major attractions of central London can be walked to (took me an hour and a half to walk slowly to the Tower Bridge which is the furthest you need to go). Most things are much less than that. Mayfair itself is so nice to come back to after the throngs of central London - and a great pleasure to explore especially in the evening. I love going to the pubs in the evening and there are some amazing pubs in Mayfair. I recommend downloading the "London's Best Pubs" App for your phone so that at any time you can hit the "nearest pub" button and it will show where you are on the map and the nearest pub and give you all the info. Cool spot five minutes walk from the Dorchester is called the "Little Square" with 4 or 5 top notch pubs all next to one another ("Ye Grapes" being the most "memorable")

The Dorchester has 2 bars and 2 restaurants, and in addition to that has a slightly separate bar&restaurant called China Tang. I did not eat at the 3Mich star Alain Ducasse but I did have breakfast every day in the Promenade (lobby) which is extremely Downton Abbey-esque. The Promenade bar is a beautiful bar open late which serves food as well as "The Bar", and China Tang which are all stunning, opulent evening to late night options (also serving food). There are many other boffo bars close by at the Connaught, Four Seasons, Berkely, Claridges and Mandarin Oriental, all within a 15 minute walk (note - none are more opulent than any of the bars at the Dorchester). The service I experienced at all the restaurants and bars at the Dorchester was excellent. Never any attitude and always remembered my name and always very quick, witty and helpful. Food was excellent.

I have had the good fortune to stay at some of the finer hotels in the western world. This one is at the top of the list. Pack your best clothes and go!

Room Tip: This hotel is about the hotel itself, I wouldn't get hung up about the room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Shy_Gadabout
Dear Shy_Gadabout,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your first stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your experience with us and that you had the opportunity to dine in our restaurants and bars. I am pleased how much you appreciated the service from our team and that you were also able to make the most of London including running in Hyde Park. I will share your comments with everyone here and I very much look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Having chosen to enter the London marathon we booked to stay in the Dorchester.
The first time we have stayed here for a specific event, other than just for shopping and spending time in London.
We were looked after with amazing care, as usual.
Complementary water, flapjacks, bananas etc were all waiting in reception for us to take on the way to the start.
The reception staff couldn't do enough, even printing out our result sheets from the marathon for us.
Thank you, once again, for making our time with you so memorable for the right reasons.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Steve B
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Steve B,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is my pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the experience and how much you appreciated the amenities to take with you to the marathon. I will be sure to share your kind comments with everyone here and I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Dalaman, Turkey
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Came back for our wedding anniversary and as ever, a delightful and luxurious stay.
The room was immaculate; all staff extremely courteous and helpful; guest relations remembered us from last year and gave us a room upgrade with an anniversary cake awaiting our arrival. In addition complimentary tea was delivered to our room. Overall a very pleasant and relaxing stay.
Dorchester understand the meaning of personalizing one's stay.
Definitely we will try and return next year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jamal H,
I thank you for your kind feedback on your recent visit to The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the experience and how highly you valued the service from our teams, especially special visits. I am also pleased to see how much you appreciated the anniversary cake in your room and I very much look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2014

The Dorchester is an amazing hotel. The rich and famous stay here for a reason. We spent our Honeymoon in London and stayed at the hotel. The Bar should not be missed. Amazing décor and outstanding surroundings. The Promenade is the heart of the hotel. Flowers, beautiful furniture and statues are everywhere. We had a deluxe room and it was decorated in a very British décor. Our bathroom was huge and done in all white marble with an extra deep soaking tub. This hotel is second to none. A+ across the board.

Room Tip: Make sure you talk to the front desk to ensure a room with good décor. Some were too modern for our...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea C
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Andrea C,
I thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your honeymoon stay and that you were able to enjoy cocktails in The Bar as well as how highly you appreciated the décor and the floral arrangements in the hotel. I will share your feedback with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I have stayed in The Dorchester for one month, i have heard so much about it but living the experince for a long period was just amazing, the classic rooms made you feel like you back in the 30's ( as seen in the movies). The service was great and the staff were very helpful, the awesome conceirge can get you in any guest list even if you have given them a short notice.

The location is almost in the middle of everywhere with a short walk you could reach to key sites in london.

Overall it was a wonderful experince.

Room Tip: Try to always get he view on the Hyde Park its worth the extra money
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear Haitham333,
It is my pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your month long stay with us and how highly you valued the overall experience including the service, the décor and our concierge team. I will be delighted to share your comments with everyone here and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Dymchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Top class and first rate, though disgustingly expensive. I visited through a recommendation from a family member and the experience less the expense was good. I have stayed in more relaxed hotels with similar experiences around the world for a much more reasonable price. My lasting memory are the cocktails - very good but exorbitantly expensive. Waiting staff are too apologetic!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Roman S
Dear Roman S,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind feedback on your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am pleased you enjoyed the service and the experience especially the cocktails in The Bar. I will be sure to share your kind feedback with everyone here and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.