“Avoid at all cost !!”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #50 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Check in was the worst I have ever experienced,the staff was so arrogant and unpleasant...The hotel is filled with people from the Middle East and Russians, so if you do not fit in this category you are not considered at all and the atmosphere in the lobby is somehow unpleasant..We had booked a deluxe category , the room we were shown was so small and dark that we asked to change and we finally were given a room of a more decent size, the carpet had just been changed so there was a strong smell. We had to call three times housekeeping in order to get an extra duvet, it took just under an hour to have it brought to our room.
Next morning breakfast was a disgrace, the scrambled eggs were cold , the service was sloppy.

• Stayed: April 2008
14  Thank sharit911

Reviewed August 3, 2008

Stayed in the Dorchester last month and loved it. Yes its expensive but the hotel is beautiful. Staff were excellent and very friendly. Rooms were very nice and location is great, with nice restaurants in the area. All I can say is I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I took my mother for Afternoon Tea at The Dorchester as a Mother's Day treat. I booked the gift vouchers online at The Dorchester's own website and they arrived the following day.
Their service was first class and you can email them with any queries and in my experience they replied very quickly.

The Afternoon Tea itself comprised of a selection of Teas or Coffees, followed by sandwichs - egg, smoked salmon, chicken, ham and mustard. They are only small but they bring second round along and always offer you more of everything throughout the afternoon. That was followed by a passion fruit and cream dessert which was lovely. Next came the scones - 2 each (again, they offer you more) with clotted cream and a selection of homemade jam. Finally there was a selection of continental pastries/cakes which were also very good - although perhaps i would have prefered them to be more traditional 'english' cakes, but that's just a personal preference. The cakes we had were still of the highest quality.

I would like to make a point of complimenting the staff, from those on reception to the waiters who served us. All were completely charming and made us feel at ease in the luxurious surroundings. My worst fear was that the hotel would be pretentious, but the people were lovely and it was very relaxing. We arrived at 2.30pm and stayed for almost 2 hours, at no point do the staff rush you to leave.

I would highly recommend The Dorchester for anyone wishing to take Afternoon Tea at one of the top hotels.

Stayed: June 2008
7  Thank BARTSTAR
Reviewed May 26, 2008

The Dorchester is not hip or cool or stylish. It's old fashioned all the way & yet it's wonderful.

We had one night there on the 25 May for a treat. It's our second visit. We'd booked a junior suite & were upgraded to a suite which was large & decorated in the elaborate english floral fabric style which works well in this setting.

The housekeeping is impeccable & generous. The products in the bathroom are great.

The bed was comfortable. The sound proofing worked very well.

The staff were without exception lovely & warm. There was no hovering for tips & in one instance a tip was actually refused !

We ate a light dinner in The Promenade & again it's old fashioned a bit like a hollywood movie with a pianist playing dated songs & singing in a passable voice. But for all that we had a nice meal - it was very comfortable & the food was fresh & plentiful & very tasty & the staff were helpful without being intrusive.

We had a lovely stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank talkative
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Upon spending £300 for a night here, I was expecting a wonderfully relaxing stay.

I knew that wasn't going to happen when a letchy check-in boy from eastern europe showed us to our room and showed us a bedroom, a bathroom and er, is there anything else sir? Urr, no, why, should there be? Okay, it's a bedroom and er, yes, so it is, it's a bathroom.

Of course, he was hanging around like a bad smell for his ahem, tip and he wasn't half brazen about it.

The tip culture really ruined this hotel for me and my wife. It was really in your face and blatent. You couldn't break wind without someone hinting heavily for a tip.

The porter came to take our bags and pointed loudely to the number of bags, repeating the number of bags that were on his trolley. I wouldn't mind but I put most of them on his trolley in the first place!

To get out of the hotel cost me £30 in tips! £10 for the porter, £10 for the maids (who I insist on tipping because they do all the work and get the least credit whilst the mini-bar letchers are rolling in it), and £10 for the guy who got my car (the car parking having cost me £50 for parking there for about 12 hours!).

We went to the restaurant early because we had a baby with us. That was fine until the stuffy clientele made us feel like we were sat there with two heads. The helpful manager having sat us down in the corner and then despite a large empty restaurant, put a romancing couple directly next to us.

The food was from the chinese place, tiger something maybe? Food was at best, below average and the atmosphere very stuffy. Wouldn't recommend it.

I would love this place if it were more child friendly, staff who are friendly because they're actually pleasant people rather than fighting to please you for a big tip (most of whom looked scared to loosen up a bit in case of "the frown".

My best advice would be stay here, enjoy it and don't give them letches tips.

• Stayed: February 2008
7  Thank hotelreviewer2008
Reviewed May 4, 2008

The staff and service here are first class all the way. The rooms are very luxurious. My room overlooked the park. Great location for easy walking if you want. We were treated like royalty. In fact, royalty was actually there at the time. Pricey, but if you can afford it, you can't do much better in London.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank ATourist2day
Reviewed April 26, 2008

Service in hotels is not what is used to be anywhere in the world.

I have stayed at many of the best over the years, and consider the Dorchester up there among the World Class leaders with its World Class prices!!!

If you want to visit a poorly run 5* hotel, then walk five hundred meters down Park Lane to the Hilton Flagship! It gives new meaning to the word POORLY RUN!!!!

Why oh why are London Hotels so damned expensive...... Rip Off Britain.

Stayed: March 2008