“Excellent”

Ranked #36 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Aberdeen
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My boyfriend took me to The Dorchester for 2 nights for a treat and wow I was amazed. From arriving and the staff at the front door helping us in with our bags and asking how we were to the staff on reception upgrading us on arrival. I was very impressed. Although we had about a 30 minute wait for our room we didn't care as it was so lovely to sit in the reception area, people watching and knowing we had a room upgrade. Our room was absolutely exquisite.... I cannot tell you how happy we were. Everything was immaculate and perfect. I would highly recommend having your breakfast delivered to your room, we certainly did both mornings and it was fantastic. Yes a bit pricier but you don't mind as it is fab!

Unfortunately there was one problem with our stay :(
On check out at 12 noon, we had to wait until 1pm for our car to pick us up for our journey back to the airport.... So we checked out and we asked if it was ok to sit and wait. The lady at reception assured us it was perfectly ok to sit and wait in the lobby area (where people sit and have a coffee or snacks) also another lady serving there said it was fine and asked us if we would like anything. So we were sat there waiting....no one had asked us to take our bags and the most rude man ever who worked there whispered to another member of staff what we were doing just sitting there and they all started staring at us. It was extremely uncomfortable. Then another member of staff came over and done the same. So basically a few members of staff were not happy with us sitting there waiting for our car, although we were like all the other guests in the hotel who had spend about £2000 for our 2 nights stay!! I was very hurt at this, simply because we were away to travel home, yes we were not dressed up, Infact dressed down but you do not treat guests of your hotel like this. We also did not get a goodbye as we left....just a stare! Extremely rude. Also I went back up to reception to enquire about the possibility of us staying at the Dorchester again in January, but the lady I got was very vague and said hmm I don't have those rates available. I then asked when she would or could she check for me....no she couldn't. Wow we obviously were not the type of guests the Dorchester want?! It's such a shame we received this 'service' as we were leaving as the rest of the stay was amazing and all of the staff we had met before that had been fantastic.
So...not really sure we will be staying in January!! It's such a shame as every guest should be treated the same.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah D
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Sarah D,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the first 2 nights of your stay and how much you enjoyed breakfast in your room. I am very sorry however to read that your check out experience was not pleasant and that you felt let down by the service. I would very much like to investigate the situation if you could kindly contact John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, directly at the hotel. We certainly want you to come back and stay with us in January and John will arrange the booking for you.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had a terrible experience during afternoon tea at the Dorchester. As reflected in other reviews the service was the slowest I have ever encountered- as someone else mentioned the staff quickly moved their focus to other tables. We were there for 2 and a half hours before the cakes arrived and when they did the waitress couldn't even recall what they were. Our tea by then was stone cold and not an offer of a refill came our way. A glass of champagne was pushed over into my lap, onto my belongings. Barely a sorry left the young girls mouth. Please, please if you have any sense take your money elsewhere. I have since heard great things about Claridges.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Janey8484
Dear Janey8484,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent afternoon tea at The Dorchester and I am very concerned to read of your experience and that your visit did not live up to expectations. I know you have been dealing with Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, in regard to your experience at the hotel, and if I can be of any personal assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A special birthday treat for my wife's 40th Birthday. Live up to all expectation. Lovely room and bed, excellent service and attention to detail. The mini-bar has to be seen to be believed but wasn't used after a rather large dinner. Breakfast (I had lambs kidneys) thrown in for free for our celebration and complimentary champagne in the room too. Cheap? No, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Richard G,
I am delighted that you chose to The Dorchester for your wife’s birthday celebrations and to read how much you enjoyed the celebratory experience. I will share your kind comments on the room, décor and breakfast with my respective teams and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
philadelphia
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

When we sought directions at Reception, to the Spa where we had booked afternoon tea, the really helpful representative did more than give directions- she took us downstairs to the Spa. At the lovely Spa, the staffer recognized us to be foreign visitors and suggested we might want to experience the superb elegance of the Promenade, upstairs. She made multiple efforts to get us a table there even though it had been fully booked, even sending a colleague to speak to the maitre D in person. The very friendly and helpful maitre d arranged a table. Service at the restaurant was extraordinarily attentive and the tea and sandwiches delicious and plentiful. Scones and accompaniments and pastries were also delightful. When I later found the lobby shop closed when I attempted to buy the special tea, the wonderful woman at Reception said she could have it opened for me and sought the help of the night manager, who looked through the shop for tea without success except for a small bag he offered to me (and boxed) with his compliments. Meanwhile the reception rep went over to the restaurant and arranged to get a large bag from them, for which they kindly improvised a fair price. Needless to say the marble-columned and flower-bedecked Promenade was the most beautiful spot in which we have ever dined.

• Stayed July 2013
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear travelbelle88,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your most recent Afternoon Tea at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience including the cakes, sandwiches and teas. I am also delighted that we were able to offer you a small sample of tea to take away as a memento. I will be delighted to share your kind comments with all the teams involved and I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.
Kindest regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
uk
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Fantastic experience but be warned that the cost of pre-meal drinks in the bar are a bit excessive at 2 basic drinks for more than £20.00 for mere mortals like myself who are not used to frequenting such establishments !
However staff , service , food and value for money with a voucher, was second to none !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wigon,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your dining experience at The Dorchester. I am pleased to read you were able to enjoy drinks in the bar before your meal and how much you enjoyed the experience including the food and service. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Dorchester is one of the truly grand hotels of London. Friendly staff greets you at the front desk as the scent of the beautiful towering arrangement of cut flowers wafts by. The rooms are pretty and spacious. Bathrooms are huge and well lit. Room service arrives quickly. Concierge incredibly helpful. People watching in the bar is fun thanks to the eclectic international set that stays here. A really lovely experience!

• Stayed July 2013
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Betsbeyer,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is my pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your visit including your room, the service and help from our concierge. I will be delighted to share your comments with the teams involved and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My Mother and I had afternoon tea at the Dorchester and it was wonderful. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left the staff could not do enough for us. Really lovely service, Serena the sweet Italian waitress made the experience really special for us both. We were offered more more of everything and it was all delicious. Perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ali N
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Ali N,
It is my pleasure to read how much you and your mother enjoyed Afternoon Tea in The Promenade at The Dorchester and how highly you both appreciated the service, especially from Serena. I will by happy to share your comments with Serena and the team here and I hope to welcome you both back in the very near future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection