“Appalling service”
Review of The Dorchester

The Dorchester
Ranked #55 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had a terrible experience during afternoon tea at the Dorchester. As reflected in other reviews the service was the slowest I have ever encountered- as someone else mentioned the staff quickly moved their focus to other tables. We were there for 2 and a half hours before the cakes arrived and when they did the waitress couldn't even recall what they were. Our tea by then was stone cold and not an offer of a refill came our way. A glass of champagne was pushed over into my lap, onto my belongings. Barely a sorry left the young girls mouth. Please, please if you have any sense take your money elsewhere. I have since heard great things about Claridges.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank Janey8484
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Janey8484,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent afternoon tea at The Dorchester and I am very concerned to read of your experience and that your visit did not live up to expectations. I know you have been dealing with Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, in regard to your experience at the hotel, and if I can be of any personal assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed July 17, 2013

A special birthday treat for my wife's 40th Birthday. Live up to all expectation. Lovely room and bed, excellent service and attention to detail. The mini-bar has to be seen to be believed but wasn't used after a rather large dinner. Breakfast (I had lambs kidneys) thrown in for free for our celebration and complimentary champagne in the room too. Cheap? No, but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Richard G,
I am delighted that you chose to The Dorchester for your wife’s birthday celebrations and to read how much you enjoyed the celebratory experience. I will share your kind comments on the room, décor and breakfast with my respective teams and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager and Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

When we sought directions at Reception, to the Spa where we had booked afternoon tea, the really helpful representative did more than give directions- she took us downstairs to the Spa. At the lovely Spa, the staffer recognized us to be foreign visitors and suggested we might want to experience the superb elegance of the Promenade, upstairs. She made multiple efforts to get us a table there even though it had been fully booked, even sending a colleague to speak to the maitre D in person. The very friendly and helpful maitre d arranged a table. Service at the restaurant was extraordinarily attentive and the tea and sandwiches delicious and plentiful. Scones and accompaniments and pastries were also delightful. When I later found the lobby shop closed when I attempted to buy the special tea, the wonderful woman at Reception said she could have it opened for me and sought the help of the night manager, who looked through the shop for tea without success except for a small bag he offered to me (and boxed) with his compliments. Meanwhile the reception rep went over to the restaurant and arranged to get a large bag from them, for which they kindly improvised a fair price. Needless to say the marble-columned and flower-bedecked Promenade was the most beautiful spot in which we have ever dined.

• Stayed: July 2013
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear travelbelle88,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your most recent Afternoon Tea at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the whole experience including the cakes, sandwiches and teas. I am also delighted that we were able to offer you a small sample of tea to take away as a memento. I will be delighted to share your kind comments with all the teams involved and I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.
Kindest regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director – UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Fantastic experience but be warned that the cost of pre-meal drinks in the bar are a bit excessive at 2 basic drinks for more than £20.00 for mere mortals like myself who are not used to frequenting such establishments !
However staff , service , food and value for money with a voucher, was second to none !!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Wigon,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your dining experience at The Dorchester. I am pleased to read you were able to enjoy drinks in the bar before your meal and how much you enjoyed the experience including the food and service. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Dorchester is one of the truly grand hotels of London. Friendly staff greets you at the front desk as the scent of the beautiful towering arrangement of cut flowers wafts by. The rooms are pretty and spacious. Bathrooms are huge and well lit. Room service arrives quickly. Concierge incredibly helpful. People watching in the bar is fun thanks to the eclectic international set that stays here. A really lovely experience!

• Stayed: July 2013
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Betsbeyer,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is my pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your visit including your room, the service and help from our concierge. I will be delighted to share your comments with the teams involved and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My Mother and I had afternoon tea at the Dorchester and it was wonderful. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left the staff could not do enough for us. Really lovely service, Serena the sweet Italian waitress made the experience really special for us both. We were offered more more of everything and it was all delicious. Perfect.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ali N
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Ali N,
It is my pleasure to read how much you and your mother enjoyed Afternoon Tea in The Promenade at The Dorchester and how highly you both appreciated the service, especially from Serena. I will by happy to share your comments with Serena and the team here and I hope to welcome you both back in the very near future.
Kind regards, Roland Fasel, General Manager & Regional Director –UK, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I have been going to Dorchester for some time but I must say because of what happend I don't think I will be returning .
As we walk unto the premadd the waitress name aza I think an Eastern European was very rude and refuse to give us a seat and told us to go by the bar and just seat when I was about to seat near the bar she came and shouted at us as if we where nothing and said I told you not to seat there . As we sat by the bar we waited for 20 min as we where ignored until I call a waiter and order an expensive bottle of champagne that's when they became really nice and attention ate when I asked to speak to the manager he came and try to tell me the waitress's was unabailabke as she went home but she was walking past him so I pointed to him and he was covered in shame . He apologise and the waitress came after being told off to apologise which I didn't accept . Dorchester don't just recruit anyone screen those people's properly because they are damaging your name and for this reason I prefere to spend my money elsewhere .

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank BellaTania05
Roland_Fasel, General Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear BellaTania05,
I am very sorry to read of your recent experience at The Dorchester and would very much like to discuss your comments further. All feedback we receive is of great value and I would be grateful if you could contact Stephan Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, at the hotel directly so these issues don't arise again in the future.