“what a wonderful place”

Ranked #38 of 1,088 Hotels in London
herefordshire
“what a wonderful place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I went to London for a business weekend. The business meeting and the luncheon that followed were at the Dorchester Hotel.
I cannot find one negative thing to say. It was fantastic from start to finish.
The food was superb, I complimented the service from the waiting staff on many occations as being outstanding.
This hotel is perfect as a business venue or as an individual or family taking in the sights of London. The hotel cannot do enough to help you.
The decor is stunning.
What more can I say. The whole experience was wonderful and we will certainly be returning.
Thank you the staff of the Dorcester for making our stay so memorable

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank metalderek
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear metalderek,
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you and your husband enjoyed your weekend with us including the food, service and décor. It will be a pleasure to share your comments with the team and I look forward to welcoming you on your next stay.
Kind regards, John Scanlon, Hotel Manager, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Dorchester is always my hotel of choice in London, the rooms are extremely comfortable and the service is reliable. I recently visited the Dorchester as I have done regularly over the last 15 years or so. However since then I have received a personal message direct to my tripadvisor identity. The message complemented me on the standard of the writing of my tripadvisor reviews and stated that I had been selected to write reviews for an exclusive internet site. However they required my personal email address so that they could send the login details of their site to me. I pointed out that revealing my personal email address to someone who I did not know would be foolhardy so they then suggested that I contact them via their email address for this purpose, (therefore there not being any improvement in my security). My people set up a ghost email address and out of curiosity I sent an email very politely offering to be involved. I have not received a reply several weeks later despite their initial reply by trip advisor messaging being immediate.

Some people have suggested to me that this may allegedly be a cause for concern. The person or persons concerned selected a regular guest at the Dorchester, a hotel that is well known as the London home of some of the most wealthy, powerful, distinguished, well connected and famous people visiting London. I am writing this to inform other members of the Tripadvisor community, also those who stay at the Dorchester who don't contribute but who may read the reviews and for the information of the management of the hotel. I also hope that Tripadvisor themselves will pick up on this. In these times we all have to be ever mindful of security. The tripadvisor address the message was sent from was sarahstephens84, this member has no contributions or other entries on Tripadvisor which some people have suggested to me may allegedly indicate that they have joined in order to obtain access to members. If you receive a similar message and if you feel inclined to do so, please let me know.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a trip to London to celebrate her 50th birthday. We booked the Dorchester for lunch at the Grill and an overnight stay in an accessible deluxe king room. Everything about the stay was fantastic, the ambience of the hotel and room and the very attentive and impressive service from all the staff we came into contact with. It was a very special weekend and we are both very grateful to the Dorchester for helping to make it so great. Little touches such as the birthday cake in the room were really appreciated but the service throughout was exemplary, especially our lunch and breakfast experience in the Grill. The Aberdeen Angus was just great and worth the supplement on the Menu of the Day. We will definetly return for another special celebration and next time try the Afternoon Tea in the Promenade which is a fabulous room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gcl417
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear glc417,
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review of you and your wife’s recent stay at The Dorchester. I am delighted to read how impressed you were following your celebratory weekend with us and how much you both enjoyed the ambiance and service in The Grill. I look forward to welcoming you back for afternoon tea on your next visit and please do let me know beforehand so that I can personally meet you to say ‘hello’.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I took my Mum for a surprise trip to The Dorchester for Afternoon Tea as a special surprise treat for her after a difficult few months dealing with the death of her own Mum.

We got the hotel having walked from Hyde Park Corner and there was no doorman present, they were all be the far corner talking to some taxi drivers so we let ourselves in the hotel but we were not greeted to and I had to ask one of the staff members standing around the foyer where we should go. He suggested we might like to freshen up first and indicated the way to the toilets and cloakroom. When ready we went to the lady who was dealing with seating guests for Afternoon Tea who was very friendly and showed us straight to our seats. We were left for a bit with the tea menus before our waistcoat and tails bedecked waiter arrived to take our orders.

I am not a tea drinker and so ordered orange juice which was 100% fresh and delicious whilst my Mum ordered decaf tea. He brought the drinks and the tea I could see was very pale and throughout the experience it did not seem to develop any better. The waiter poured the tea once and then my Mum was left to top up herself for the rest of the afternoon. She only really drank a few cups out of duty as I was paying for the treat rather than because she was enjoying it.

The sandwiches were served and we had a choice of salmon, tuna, cucumber with cream cheese and chicken. My favourites were the tuna and the chicken sandwiches which were served in a greenish basil bread which did look unusual but tasted nice. We polished of two rounds (6 finger sandwiches each) and a chocolate cup with (lightly) coffee flavoured mousse before moving on to scones.

The scones are miniature rather than full size and there were plain ones and fruit ones served with pots of clotted cream, compote and strawberry jam which you can help yourself to. The scones were served warm and were very nice. We would have had seconds but three scones each had left us feeling a bit full!

Next came the cakes, however I must say these were very disappointing. There was a tasteless yellow concoction which was apparently a lychee mousse atop a biscuit, a tasteless green macaroon, a small pear tart thing, a pastry case with fresh fruit and meringue and also a peanut butter mousse on top a biscuit base. We tried each of these cakes and none of them had much flavour at all and so we did not have seconds.

As we had booked for the second to last sitting we were pretty much able to stay as long as we wanted until we asked for the bill. The gentleman who brought it asked if we had enjoyed the tea so we said we had but that the cakes had been a disappointment. He promptly suggested that he could give us some alternative ones in our box to take away to try and see if we liked better for next time. When we opened our box later on at our hotel, the only cakes in there were the same tasteless ones we hadn't liked originally.

Overall our experience at The Dorchester did not fully live up to our expectations. We enjoyed the atmosphere and people watching, with the scones and sandwiches being delicious and the staff being eager to please but the actual tea itself and the cakes were very disappointing. I think the next time we try to go to afternoon tea we would try somewhere else to see if we can find find the whole package as, for us, The Dorchester did not have it.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lauren G
PromenadeDorchester, Director of Food and Beverage at The Dorchester, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Lauren G,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such detailed comments of your recent visit for afternoon tea in The Promenade. I am pleased to read that you chose The Dorchester for a kind treat for your mother, however I am sorry to read that the cakes did not live up to your expectations. All feedback we receive is invaluable and I will share your comments with the chef and team here. I am pleased to read that you both enjoyed the sandwiches during your afternoon tea and I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you both on your next visit.
Kind regards, Stephane Lafon, Director of Food and Beverage, The Dorchester, Dorchester Collection
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

stayed for the third time with my family totally agreed with last review the bed and pillows are made in heaven and 10/10 for the lady and chef that made two kinds of most wonderful pancakes specially for my daughter for pancakes day (at12am can you belive) at the promenade( which we had many amazing afternoon tea there)together with the young gentleman that play the piano and sang like a super star ends our most memoriable stay at the hotel
ps please watch the picture of the most romantic flower display for valentine' day

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Tony T,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent family stay at The Dorchester. I am very pleased to read how much you and your family enjoyed your time with us and how much you daughter enjoyed her pancakes on Pancake Day. I will be delighted to share your comments with the team involved and I look forward to welcoming you all back in the not too distant future.
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

my daughter & i stayed 1 night as a special gift , its an amazing hotel our room was superb over looking Hyde park everything in the room you could need. The most comfortable bed with the best pillows ever. All the staff were brilliant & couldn't do enough if i got the chance again id be there in a drop of a hat .

Room Tip: we had a deluxe king room overlooking Hyde park
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fab4lawsons
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear fab4lawsons,
Thank you for taking the time to leave comments on your most recent stay at The Dorchester. It is a pleasure to read how much you and your daughter enjoyed staying with us and how highly you appreciated the rooms and the service you received. I will be delighted to share your comments with the team here and I look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We actually took this trip in Dec 2011 for our annual Xmas trip to shop and visit friends..It was a bit last minute s i didnt have time to book one f the regular hotels we usually stay at but a friend recommended the Dorchester and i am glad i took his advice ... I originally booked a deluxe room which was nice and spacious but had a view of the roof so not so appealing but the room itself was great.
After meeting my dear friend HH Prince Mansoor he called the hotel mgmt and in moments i had a call from the duty mgr Cindy and we were whisked away to a one bedroom suite.... great reaction time..and great room...i tend to like a bit more room to move around in when staying at any hotel..lol.
As i said the hotel itself is fantastic...they can pull off "old world charm" like no one else in the world... and everyone from the door staff to the mgmt strives to do their very best to make sure all of your needs are addressed.
The lobby is a "great" place to people watch and they serve the best Club sandwich in london... China Tang was soo good that we ate dinner there almost every night...Spa apparently was great since i lost my spouse to them everyday for about 2-3 hrs..lol
Have not had the oppurtunity to visit again as a guest but will definately in the near furture.. Hotel and Staff are top notch...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael E
John S, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Michael E,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your stay with us in December, it was very nice to read how much you enjoyed your Christmas break with us and how you appreciated the food in The Promenade and China Tang. I am delighted to see that your spouse enjoyed our spa and I will be sure to share your kind comments with the staff and I very much look forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit to London.