“Superb afternoon tea”

Ranked #36 of 1,067 Hotels in London
CI
“Superb afternoon tea”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

How much better can it be than beautiful surroundings, excellent service, wonderful teas and champagne and a superb and never ending choice of goodies to eat?

Highly recommended, especially the humble cheese and pickle sandwich which the Dorchester has elevated to an art form. It must be down to their home beaked specialty breads.

If you love a high tea then this treat is one not to be missed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank JoolsCI
PromenadeDorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed Afternoon Tea at The Promenade. We pride ourselves on providing a luxurious Afternoon Tea experience and I am very happy that you found this to be true.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dorchester in the future.
Best Regards,
Renaud Gregoire
Director of Food and Beverage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
newcastle/upon-tyne-england
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Travelling alone for the first time and never having stayed there before, I didnt know what to expect. I felt safe and comfortable and all the staff were helpful and friendly , they all knew my name and couldnt do enough for me. I even stayed an extra night and the concierge went to the station for me and changed my train ticket whilst I visited Buckingham Palace , on the State room tour ( which on my request the concierge had arranged for me) If you can afford to stay at the Dorchester DO IT !! If thats what heavens like i promise to be really good from now on!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank susanb015
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant visit to London and that you found your experience at The Dorchester to be “heavenly”. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our Concierge team as they are always happy to assist and to care for our guests needs. We are all thrilled that you were able to stay an extra night with us at The Dorchester.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Stayed here on business with my client. The rooms are ok but I found the décor in general in serious need of modernisation. Flowery wall paper is actually quite disgusting. The bathroom, however, was great. The shower was perfect with monsoon shower, the linen was as you would expect and the toiletries were high quality and in abundance.

What really put me off was when ironing a brand new white shirt, the iron provided was completely burnt out and ruined my shirt. When the 20 something year old house keeper came and started to lecture a seasoned soldier how to use an iron, it was somewhat annoying.

I wouldn't stay here again if I could avoid it and although the staff are professional and helpful, the feel for me was a lot less than many other 5* hotels...

Now, China Tang on the other hand is a completely different story...!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank jamescruger
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy to see that there are elements of The Dorchester that you quite enjoyed, however I am disappointed to hear that you do not plan to return. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further and invite you to contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have been visiting London with my family for over a decade now and usually the highlight of my trip has been staying at The Dorchester. This summer, however, service and quality was far below what I would have expected in a luxury hotel and I am going to seek an alternate hotel for my next stay.

CHECK-IN: I arrived off a Cunard cruise at 10 a.m. Despite having stayed at the hotel several times, I was greeted as if I were a first time guest. Even after I explained how often I had visited the city, I was still asked if I needed directions/maps or a guide to the city. I had reserved two connecting rooms and I understood that check in was at 3. After an enjoyable day in the city, I returned at 3:15 to find neither room ready and a rather apathetic reception. This should have been unacceptable in a hotel of the Dorchester's quality. I was told the room would be ready in twenty minutes and was offered a complimentary drink in the bar. However, when I was taken to the bar by reception, they sat my family at a table that had been reserved. So we had to get up again! I don't fault the bar staff, who were quite sympathetic and offered excellent service. I do fault reception...someone was supposed to have come back for us when the room was ready. No one ever did. We kept having to check to see if the room was ready! When we complained (again) about the wait, we were told the rooms were 'too nice' and reception had other rooms that weren't 'as nice' ready but didn't want to give them to us, so it would be best for us to wait. Huh? Does this mean there are rooms at the hotel they wouldn't recommend? As it was we didn't get in our room with our luggage until 5:00.

THE ROOM: Both rooms were rather small considering they were supposed to be 'so nice'. The furnishings were comfortable (though we missed a glass shower stall as we had on previous visits). The air conditioning was quite loud and had to be placed on high to get any sort of cooling. What was really unacceptable was the noise...there was construction being done above us. One day it go particularly bad and we called reception to complain. We were assured someone would call us back. No one every did. Half an hour later, I took the initiative to call and was told that there was no construction being done! I asked to have someone come to the room to listen (as the wall was shaking, I found it hard to believe this was an 'outside effect') and was told someone could get back to me. No one ever did. A total of four phone calls occurred before the noise 'stopped'. Never once were they initiated by reception.

HOUSEKEEPING: Came about five seconds after we checked in for turn down service. Left a bag of garbage in our room. Kept stopping by the day we were checking out to see when we would finally leave so they could clean the room.

ROOM SERVICE: Expensive and slow...most meals for four took over forty five minutes with an estimated half hour time. Twice they forgot part of our order. A meal from the express menu (which offered 15 minute items) took over half an hour. Scottish lobster was delicious though.

AFTERNOON TEA: Imperative to have a reservation, which we did. We sat for over 25 minutes before someone came over to take our order. We weren't even served by our normal waiter, another waiter took pity on us. Our waiter, meanwhile, just kept walking past our table. We ordered the champagne tea. I have always gotten the champagne with the tea, this time our waiter did not bring out the tea until after our champagne was done and we had to request it. When it was brought out (45 minutes after we sat down) it was unsteeped and had to sit for a while before it could be drunk.
We had previously emailed some dietary requirements and the kitchen went out of their way. The deserts were some of the best pastries I have ever had.

CHECK OUT: We ordered a car for the airport and asked reception to call us when the car was ready. Of course, they never did. When we called after the car was close to twenty minutes late, we were told it had 'just driven up'. Convenient.

OVERALL: Not every hotel can be 'perfect.' For years, however, the Dorchester came pretty close. There were too many issues on our visit this summer though to be excused.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank hehny
thedorchester, Guest Relations Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am very concerned to hear that your experience at The Dorchester did not live up to our usual level of service. I would very much like to discuss the matter with you further and I would appreciate if you would contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience.
I look forward to speaking with you.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Have yet to stay in other hotels but i love this place to the max!

Was speaking to the front office manager, Andreas and he is superbly patient and explained to me the history of the hotel about how the brunei sultan (if i recalled correctly) bought the place, gave it a unique design etc.

More importantly, the hotel boasts the deepest bath-tub one can have. I am a huge huge bath tub fan and being able to sink in one of those is pure bliss

Overall, thumbs up for the service, the place and the location

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am thrilled to hear how much you have enjoyed your stay at The Dorchester.
The Dorchester has a rich history, dating back to when it was first opened in 1931 – we are celebrating our 80th anniversary this year! You can read more about our history and our 80th anniversary celebrations on our website.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Dorchester in the future.
Kind Regards,
Kostas Sfaltos
Executive Assistant Manager, Rooms
River Vale, New Jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Loved the hotel, but we booked in January for a July stay and requested a room with a view of Hyde Park. When we arrived we had a room with absolutely no view. I don't understand why you can't get the view you requested when you make the reservation 6 months in advance- very puzzling. Other than this irritating issue we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2011
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear Guest,
I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Dorchester, however I am sorry to hear that your room did not live up to your expectations. I apologise that your request for a view of Hyde Park was not accommodated.
I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Dorchester in the future; please contact me directly at the hotel so that I may personally look after your reservation.
Kostas Sfaltos
Executive Assistant Manager, Rooms
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We booked afternoon tea some time ago for a party of 6 (2 ladies celebrating 40th birthday parties) what a fantastic experience!
The food was excellent, the service was the finest I have experienced for a very very long time, and it made me proud to be English as the experience also transcended nationalities.
From the doormen at front of house, the receptionist at the desk, Sam behind the Promenade bar to Nellie the lady who served us tea, and the backroom staff that prepared the fantastic food ,the service was faultless, all of our party (attendees of afternoon tea at Fortnum and Mason, the Ritz, the Pump rooms in Bath) commented on how relaxed, professional and enjoyable the experience was, from the high tea to the doggy bags and the gift bags we received.
We as a representative group of professional people who have travelled extensively and understand quality and service agreed wholeheartedly that this was a tour de force.
I am not normally given to hyperbole but this experience was an exception, we shall be writing to the Dorchester to commend them on a truly memorable experience. If you ever book an afternoon tea book the Dorchester. . I assurey you, you won't regret it

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
thedorchester, Manager at The Dorchester, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the opportunity to provide us with your feedback following your recent visit at The Dorchester.
I am absolutely delighted to learn that you and your guests had an enjoyable Afternoon Tea in The Promenade. Rest assured I have also passed on your kind feedback onto our team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back at The Dorchester in the near future.
Kind regards,