“Jewel in the center of Mayfair, but such tiny rooms!”
Review of The Connaught

The Connaught
Ranked #6 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Hong Kong, China
“Jewel in the center of Mayfair, but such tiny rooms!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Needless to speak about the location, which is obviously great. I loved the general atmosphere and the service was very good, especially the Concierge who each time found a way to address our queries. However the room was extreeeemely small. I've actually never experienced such a tiny room, even in cities like London or NY. And for the price paid, I thought this was actually quite shocking.

Room Tip: Beware: some rooms are very very small.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank globexplorer399
Nathalie S, General Manager at The Connaught, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
I thank you for your review and am sorry to read of your disappointment with the size of the room. I hope we shall have the opportunity of welcoming you back as we do have many different room categories availabile.

Nathalie Seiler-Hayez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is not a place to stay if you take a child with you. There is no lounge so the only place to sit with your child is in a noisy bar. The staff do not take well to this. In the other bar, from which we were ejected at 7.30, the staff were positively dismissive of the fact that we did not want to drink. There are no children's options on menus, so we paid £26 plus service for a portion of fish and chips. All in all overpriced and not welcoming.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Albert K
england
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We arrived for a much anticipated afternoon tea only to be told by the gentleman on the desk that we had no booking and that the tea rooms were fully booked ! Luckily one of our party of 4 had a paper copy of the booking .
We sat to one side whilst other guests were taken to their tables.
Having been seated finally the tea began .we had a glass of pink champagne each and then ordered a bottle .For four of us two tiered cake stands arrived with sandwiches and cakes that had clearly been prepared much earlier and looked a little sad .
Scones were delicious without a doubt .
Because we were delayed in being seated we then had to vacate the table as our time slot had expired .
As the bill was in excess of £400 I don't feel we experienced value .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank neilmaxbartholomew
Nathalie S, General Manager at The Connaught, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
I was so very sorry to read of your experience on arrival and offer my sincere apologies. I truly regret your disappointment and hope you will allow us another opportunity when you are next in London.

Please do not hesitate in letting me know if ever I can be of assistance, as it would be my pleasure.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at The Connaught for three days just prior to Christmas with my family including two young children. I had long been interested in trying this property with its long association with quiet classic British style. I left with a new favorite hotel (dethroning the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong).

First things first. The hotel group that owns The Connaught plus two of London's other finest properties offers a superb value deal for families with young children. I exchanged a couple of emails with the hotel and was able to secure their family offer (very much subject to availability) of a second interconnecting room included with the price of the first. Worth seeking it if you are traveling with children. The rooms themselves were in the modern wing of the hotel but that was no hardship. They were very warm and a friend of mine described them as rather Poirot which I think is an accurate image if applied to 21st Century comfort. We were very pleased and entertained quite a few people in them which indicates their scale.

The hotel itself is beautiful. From its location in the charming Carlos Place surrounded by interesting and complementary architecture to its warm English country-house vibe lobby and public areas. There are three bars and each of them was extremely pleasant in a distinctive manner. The headline Connaught Bar though is the place to be in my opinion. A wonderful dimly lit space full of interesting looking people (plus of course a number you know from the media). We dined in both of the restaurants and had an excellent time. I actually enjoyed our tasting menu at The Connaught's two Michelin star restaurant more than Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester. The service was more engaging and frankly I found the menu more exciting. We hosted eight people at Espelette the less formal (but still smart) restaurant, including 4 children. It turned out to be an evening to remember and both the adults and children had an excellent time. Infact throughout our stay the service was of the highest order and my family was made to feel welcome and at home.

All-in-all I strongly recommend that you try this hotel. I love it and believe it is worth every penny.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PADILL
Nathalie S, General Manager at The Connaught, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I was truly delighted to read your wonderful comments and so pleased you and your family had such an enjoyable stay with us.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to your "London home" again soon.

Liverpool
Reviewed December 28, 2013

It would be hard to find anything negative to say about The Connaught !!! The experience from check in to check out was an absolute delight, The Staff are very helpful and will endeavour to fulfil your every need.
My favourite part of the Hotel has to be the Champagne Room/Bar but all the other bars and eateries were equally as good.
We used the Butler service to order breakfast in our room which was exactly how we ordered it..
The staff are the real stars of this establishment.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nathan1878
Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write a review and we are all delighted you had such an enjoyable stay. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Got the privilege of staying at The Connaught Hotel in London as a birthday treat. Proves the old saying " You get what you pay for " Every part of the hotel from our luggage being taken at the taxi, to checking out two days later was perfect in every detail.
The staff catered to our every need, happily.
We had the Grosvenor Suite, which, unlike most hotel rooms was an upgrade from being at home.
Would highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Grosvenor Suite was middle price range, luxurious and quiet. Most comfortable bed ever.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew M
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in one of our Grosvenor Suites and do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back on another occasion.

With my best wishes,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The hotel staff could not have been more helpful. The room was large and very quiet compared to other London Hotels. It is so central to many of the top spots in London. The bar is a Gin lovers paradise. Well decorated, great breakfast. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PosieH
I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay and we all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you are next in London.