The Connaught
$251
$211
Trip.com
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$173
Rosewood London(London)
$554
$409
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$154
$139
$274
$220
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
$252
$227
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
The Nadler Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$138
  • Room Service
$400
$371
1,021 results
All reviewsaman spacoburg barnew winghelene darrozecarlos placemount streetbutler serviceafternoon teafavorite hotelcocktail barwonderful hotelbond streetfive star hotelbars and restaurantsduty managerthe ritzhyde park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Popped into The Connaught bar on Saturday afternoon, great atmosphere, nice seating arrangements and the service picked up once they knew we were spending a few bob! Conservatory area not recommended as you are out of the main buzz of the bar

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 13, 2013

i recently went for a treatment at the connaught hotel spa and it was great! i chose the holistic 1h30 massage and afterwards both manicure and pedicure. the massage was very relaxing but i especially liked the manicure/pedicure. they have a great colour choice and prepare the nails very well for the vernis. the nails are now ( after over a week ) still fully painted and look good. i recommend to go if you want to have a bit more than the normal manicure and be in a luxurious and relaxing atmosphere. i have not tried their hair removal yet but i have heard that it is very good as well!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Nathalie S, General Manager at The Connaught, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to our wonderful Aman Spa and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With best wishes,

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Went early evening for cocktails to celebrate Christmas with some friends.The cocktails were delicious.The tree outside was lit up very prettily.The bar is lovely and we were surrounded by beautiful young women in elegant cocktail dresses.Paradise on earth for me.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ilovegrub2

I am delighted you enjoyed your cocktails with us and hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With best wishes,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Returning to stay after several years I found the service overwhelmingly considerate - as if the slightest thing might annoy me. I found communication was excellent and if you checked in and wanted to go to the restaurant you were walked there and introduced. The Connaught always had two worlds: the guest where nothing could be done wrong, and the management which clearly held a tight reign on the staff (watch for it - it's like a stage - just visible below the surface).
They picked a room for me, and I loved it, and when I came back again (on either end of a European trip) I tried a new one. The King rooms are spacious and luxurious - with the only complaint being the in-room lighting system which is more complex than necessary and hardly adds any benefit for all its features - I found myself having to shut the lights off in my hallway and running to my bed in the dark. The room service quality and presentation was amazing, and the chicken stock probably the pinnacle of french culinary art (I was under the weather and ate simply). Helen Darroze (another day) was measured perfection: perfect portions and appropriately concentrated flavors. Espellette nothing really to write home about save for the excellent service. Tea, sadly, has become a "bridge and tunnel" production. In summary, the Connaught still shines through the modern informality of its guests and when you're there you can still pretend you're an aristocrat with no one to stop you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

I truly appreciate you having taken the time to write a review following your stay with us and apperciate you returning to us after several years away.

We all hope we shall become your "home" whenever in London and that we shal have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With very best wishes,

Reviewed December 31, 2012

F&B overall: The ice at the Connaught is perfect: a refreshingly perfect cube in every outline in every glass, every time.
Espellette: Two check-in desks for such a small retail F&B area seems ridiculous; we were always giving our names to the wrong desk. Just walking in to such a small place to verify a reservation shouldn’t be so difficult. Tall manager took such pride in delivery of each dish, I observed him actually send some breakfast dishes back to the kitchen before allowing servers to take the dish to the tables. I regret very much that I never got his name to be able to mention him personally in this report. Afternoon tea was a disappointment in the selection of mundane sandwich and pastry offerings. Sandwiches were unusually triangularly large. What happened to gourmet lobster, foie gras, truffles, fish, prawn and other delectables? 3 out of 5 were pork-based. Teapots on different tables were from breakfast (the silver ones), room service (the China gray & white ones) and the occasional Coburg bar’s silver with large black handle. Inconsistency makes for a less-uniform look, even during rushed holidays.
Coburg Bar: manager seated me and returned 20 minutes later when I had to leave to apologize for forgetting me and take me order. I told him I had to leave, and he offered me a glass of champagne. I told him I had waited more than ample time, but needed to leave now. He agreed that more than 20 minutes wait for the Connaught bar is unacceptable, and admitted that some staff did not show up that day for Christmas Day shift. As I’m in this industry, I am WELL AWARE that this happens, but a hotel of this stature should overstaff just to prepare for such incidents because, after all, the best test of any hotel is one where first-timers like I would get a first impression based on how the Connaught handles such stresses on Christmas day, a stay for which we have been preparing for 2 months. There is nothing wrong w/wanting a drink before Christmas dinner, and not having staff able to provide the same seems lackluster. Later that evening, and the next day, both times I was with a guest and he said “sorry about earlier” but neither reoffered the drink or made any adjustment to my bill. Furthermore, when he DID bring us the check, it was the ONLY time of our 5 days at Connaught that anyone ever asked us to sign a single piece of paper. We loved the Aman-style of not having to sign bills at each outlet. On another time when we sat in the outside-bar area, our server was obviously unhappy to be working at the holidays. When we asked for something to accompany our drinks, he informed us “we have no more crisps…we’ve run out,” which, while understandable and surprising, could have been met w/the Connaught’s ability to substitute something else last-minute such as nuts or the ubiquitous olives. On a subsequent request, he told us “we found some more.” What made matters even more unpleasant was the fact that, when we asked for warm mulled wine, he informed us –on Christmas Day—that “I have to check to be sure, but we don’t do that in here, I’m afraid,” at which point we suggested that he DID confirm. He returned with the mulled wine. (Later that night, a server brought us warm wine and mince pies to our room while we watched the holiday Downton Abbey special, which was a great treat by the Connaught). Overall, the bar was a dark, depressing, music-less, overworked and under-serviced place to spend a festive holiday.
Spa: the 2 males who were working 24, 25, 26 were over-accommodating and made what could be a depressing time in a downstairs dark “dungeon-feeling” spa a happy experience.
Room: Although small, we loved our room. Unfortunately, no upgrade was available for the Platinum FH&R program. Lightswitches throughout the room, although contemporary, are missing dimmers necessary for customizing the lighting for time of day. The light of the telephone would turn on and off and glow at will, which proved annoying during the night for someone who likes to sleep in total darkness. The slippers are a gem! Having a Toto toilet was a spoiling gem that almost makes the stay meritorious enough in its own right! Years ago under different management, I had a Christmas stay at Claridge’s with a small, potted decorated pine tree about a foot high in the room. The tree’s size was not important, but the extra step the hotel put into detail to let us feel that it was Christmas in our room made a difference. Had I not brought Christmas decorations from NYC for my room 329, there would be no note of Christmas at the Connaught except for the lobby, a sad note.
Room Service: too much use of wheeled-in table; amazing Christmas day mulled wine and mince pies (although the waiter pouring from the silver thermos on the desk next to my laptop splattered wine on my laptop).
CheckIN/OUT: I appreciate the old fashioned checkin/out desk, but the newer ability to finish formalities and peruse the final bill in the privacy of my room instead of amidst several guests trying to do the same during this busy time of the year made the Connaught holiday process feel like cattle and less special.
General: The speakers in the elevators announcing each floor are just loud enough to prove annoying at each step of the journey. That none of the staff wears a namebadge makes the entire experience of staying at the Connaught far less personal than it could be.
Birthday: What a confusion! When I booked the hotel, I informed them of my birthday. Nevertheless, if they would take passport photos for back-of-the-house when guests check in in order to assist staff with recognizing staff (the Aman way, after all), they would have clarified any confusion by seeing my holiday birthday. My companion checked in 12 hours before I did, and champagne and birthday cake immediately arrived for him within moments of his arriving in the room. He informed the server that this was not HIS birthday celebration but that of his companion who would appear later that night and celebrate the next few days. The girl departed. At no time during the next four days did any birthday cake slice come to me on behalf of the hotel. On Christmas Eve after dinner at Helen’s restaurant, we were presented w/a hazzlenut log with the words “Congratulations” written on the dish, expressed to both of us as if we were celebrating an anniversary. Because we didn't’ want to embarrass anyone in the over-crowded dining room, we didn’t question this at all, but found it an odd way to note a birthday.
Doormen: These are the most friendly I’ve encountered in recent years and the true reason why we chose to Christmas at the Connaught. Earlier this summer after finding the Farm Street Church by accident, I left mass and found the lovely hotel where I never thought to enter just to have a tea, and the friendly doormen were so sweet and engaging that I determined after that tea that I’d return to spend the entire holidays. A suggestion: when we returned back to the hotel drenched after an afternoon run, instead of just commenting on how wet the 2 of us were, offering to send up tea or something stronger straight to the room would be a wonderful way to go above the call of duty and pay attention to detail.
Pre-Stay: we emailed back and forth Concierge several times trying to sort out all of our holiday dining plans, and Chris and Toru were the most professional and accommodating, despite the ridiculous lack of time between emails across timezones of UK and NYC. When we finally arrived at the Connaught and saw the physical proximity of the restaurants to the Concierge desk, we were overwhelmed that sorting out dining plans among the 2 restaurants had been so complicated with the emails back and forth for weeks.
Electronics: having to reinput several times a day the passcode on a laptop or iPhone for “connaught” grew to be frustrating for a stay of more than a few days.

Room Tip: Ask for upgraded room w/Japanese toilet, and pay extra for space. Ask each server his or her name cuz otherwise you'll never ever get it.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple