“Everything we had heard and expected.”
Review of The Capital Hotel

The Capital Hotel
Ranked #41 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Friends of ours recommended The Capital Hotel for a number of reasons. Location, accommodations, service, and price. We hit a home run on all accounts. The Levin family,who our the hotel, are on the property so you are not a number like you would be at a large hotel. Clive, the concierge, who has been there for 24 years and his staff have all the connections you could ever need and you walk in the front door and there they are. The location is next door to Harrods and a half a block from the 5 th ave of London. Hyde park for a jog is two blocks away. The Hotel hosts two great restaurants. The Michelin stared Outlaw's for the serious, and Le Metro downstairs for the more casual. Finely, the accommodations were great. We had a two bedroom apartment, literally, with a kitchen, dining area, living room and two bathrooms. Not much more expensive than a regular room at some hotels in the area. I can't recommend this property enough. We are going back at the end of our trip. The boys are already asking about it.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

It is such a treat to read your glowing review, thank you so much for taking the time to write. I am delighted that we have lived up to your friends recommendation and that the team looked after you so well. It sounds as though you explored our local area thoroughly and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed Outlaw's and Le Metro.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to The Capital at the end of your trip and send our best wishes for the rest of your holiday in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I travelled with our 18 year olds son. We booked an apartment next store to the hotel. We received all the good service of the hotel, but were next store in their apartment building. I knew going in that the apt was small, but the location was unbeatable and they managed to pack everything you would need into the apt. There was a washer/dryer, ironing board, two flat panel Tvs, sofa bed, stove top, fridge, etc. The price was reasonable for London. Lovely staff as well. Would definitely go back when in London.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review The Capital apartments, and I am very happy that you found our location so convenient and that the accommodation suited your needs so well.
It is a great compliment that you would recommend and consider returning to see us on your next visit to London, thankyou!

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Not stayed here but have had drinks in the bar , the cherry brandy shots are amazing and very strong also complimentary! Very friendly staff , always popping to the table to see if you need anything , the type of treatment you would expect in knights bridge

Stayed: December 2013

Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to the bar and were made to feel so welcome by the team.

We hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We returned to the Capital and everything was just like the first time: warm welcome, faultless service, comfortable and spotlessly clean rooms. The advantages of this hotel are many: it is small and family run, the location is very convenient yet quiet, since Basil street is only lively during the day. The hotel never feels crowded and you do get personal service from everyone.
Standard rooms are small, this is London! The quality of the bed, linen, towels and toiletries is superb and the housekeeping faultless.
We asked for a room on top floor and it was provided.
This time we did not dine at the hotel but we visited Ceasar's fine bar and enjoyed single malts in peace and quiet. Try their club sandwich, it is the best we ever had.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ketling

Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am delighted to hear that your return to the hotel was as successful as your first visit. Justyna and her housekeeping team work to such a high standard and I am very happy that you found the bedrooms so comfortable. Cesar's bar is always a perfect place to relax and our club sandwich is one of my favourites too!

I very much hope you will be returning soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just visited the capital hotel for our wedding anniversary for 2 nights.the hotel was fab from the first moment we turned up to the last when we left. All the staff were wonderful as well as the place itself. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for your next trip to London.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mdavidnaylor11
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

It such a treat to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to celebrate your anniversary. Thank you so much for fantastic review and recommendation. I am very grateful and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Very disappointed , asked for room to be cleaned while I was out , Not attended to .
Also disappointed with response to address the heated towel rail ,
couldn't be switched off even on a hot day . You couldn't sit on toilet straight without burning yourself
In the room , there was an old lounge chair . You couldn't exit the bed on that side , not enough space

Overall furnishings somewhat drab , breakfasts very ordinary . Great location but needs to keep up with the times
Work area was 18 inches wide

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Storming27
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback which is obviously very disappointing for me to read. It is upsetting to feel that your stay has fallen below your expectation. I am aware you are still in house would therefore appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further.
I understand housekeeping was alerted to your request to service your room however we were unaware that you were returning within the hour hence our service was not as quick as you had wished.

We pride ourselves on our excellent levels of service and I would very much like to ensure that the end of your stay is more enjoyable.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed two weeks ago for one night for our 10th wedding anniversary. The staff are all charming, professional and eager to please. The location is great, bang next to the back door of Harrods, but also quiet. Everything you could want is walkable. We had a junior suite on the 4th floor which was spacious, quiet and well appointed. It had a separate loo, which was a nice addition but, to be honest, if they do a re-fit I would give this space over to creating a larger sitting room area. Also, in the main bathroom there was easily enough room for a separate walk-in shower which would have really finished the bathroom off. When I made the booking I was asked if I wanted a table for dinner that night. When I noticed that their restaurant is run by Nathan Outlaw it was a no brainer. Probably the most "in demand" chef in the land at the moment and to get a table at 8.30 on a Thursday evening during Chelsea Flower Show was an opportunity too good to turn down. Even better was the fact that on Thursdays they invite you to "bring your own special bottles of wine at no corkage charge". Despite having an extensive, excellent and reasonably priced wine list I took them up on this offer. The real indicator of the levels of service came in the bar before dinner. My wife ordered a gin and tonic and the barman reeled off a list of all the gins they had available. She remarked to me that one is often asked about gin preference but never about tonic. I asked the barman if they served Fever Tree tonic and he said that regrettable they only had Schweppes. Five minutes later the drinks arrived with an apology for the delay as he had left the hotel and gone to the restaurant three doors down to buy a bottle of Fever Tree (which he knew they stocked) and that, I think, says it all. Unbelievable Service ! During dinner my wife mentioned to the waiter that she was a little chilly. Two minutes later a Pashmina (still in its dry-cleaning bag) was produced. Again, beyond the call of duty. Dinner was great and we will definitely be returning. Breakfast was also superb. This is a family owned and run hotel and it shows. They all seem to care about guest wellbeing to the highest degree. A big thank you to all the staff. PS. There was a power cut early in the morning for the whole of Knightsbridge (hardly The Capital's fault) which meant the air conditioning went off and the room got quite hot so sleep was a little disturbed but, again, this was not their fault and could have happened anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade of room when you book, it costs them the same to service a suite as a room so it...