“a treasure of a boutique hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Capital Hotel

The Capital Hotel
Ranked #39 of 1,087 Hotels in London
arizona
“a treasure of a boutique hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

We stayed at the Capital Hotel for 4 nights end of Feb.2014., I had picked hotel online due to proximity to attractions, with no idea just how centrally located and convenient it is! It is on a
side street less than a block from Harrod's, around the corner from the tube, surrounded by cafes, & down the block from an excellent Italian restaurant. Staff could not have been more delightful & helpful, each knowing our name and room #, assisting with everything from reservations for high tea to mailing a small package for me. There is no lobby to speak of, so if that's a concern for you, go elsewhere. This is a small establishment with very comfortable quiet rooms with all usual amenities. They have a lovely restaurant as well as room service. And I have no doubt that, if I asked for something not available, someone would have found it for me.
It would be a pleasure to stay there again! The staff is exceptional and the place is charming.

Room Tip: There are only 49 rooms. Even though ours faced the street, it was still quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your visit. I am delighted to that you found the hotel so conveniently located and that the team were able to add to your London experience. I very much that you will come and stay again, we are all looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was my first trip to London,I was celebrating my birthday.The Capital made it very special.
The Concierge staff especially Graham was always helpful. Everything from postage, tours and transportation... They did it all and did it very well. It made a great difference in my experencing the city for the first time.
Our room was beautiful and the bottle of wine in my room with birthday wishes was a lovey thought.
I really enjoyed! The heated towels in the bathroom a big plus !!!
We enjoyed dinner at the Outlaws & breakfast was always great.

The Capital's perfect location & the perfect weather we enjoyed while in London made for my perfect vacation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I was delighted to hear we were able to be part of your recent successful holiday and that you enjoyed your visit so much. Graham and the concierge team certainly have huge amounts of London knowledge and were very happy to read your comments. We very much hope to welcome you back whether it be another birthday or a second visit to town.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

My friend and I went to London for a 3-day "treat" and to see several plays. The hotel was absolutely top notch. It was very beautiful -- it is not "glitzy" but extremely serene and beautifully decorated. All the perfect little touches were there (would love to have had some of their gorgeous wall papers and fabrics in my home). The staff were outstanding -- we felt so welcomed and spoiled. Just a small example was when we came rushing in one afternoon after the theater to have tea, they offered to take our coats up to our room and hang them up for us so we could sit in the beautiful tea room comfortably without having to dash up to our room first to. We were always warmly greeted when we came in and given a cheery good-bye as we went out. Whenever the concierge would see us coming up the steps, he would have our room key out and ready to hand it to us -- most appreciated! Kate Levin (the hotel's general manager) was there when we checked in and also welcomed us very warmly. Definitely will try to stay there when next in London.

The hotel's location is also great, although we never had time to even pop into Harrod's -- the Knightsbridge tube stop was certainly convenient. We were also blessed with great weather for February in London -- in other words, 3 perfect days at a perfect hotel!

Room Tip: I rather doubt they have any "bad" rooms -- we certainly loved ours -- I think it was a Ki...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review. There is no greater compliment than a guest wishing to visit us again and I was delighted to read your comments. It certainly sounds like you had a busy time going to see so many things at the theatre, I do hope when you return you will have a little longer to enjoy more of London, and Harrods!

Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Having just read a review from the "Valentines stay", the lady must have stayed at a different hotel to us. We have nothing but praise for the staff and the Hotel. We took advantage of the "Shop until you drop" package and it was fantastic. Everyone made us feel welcome and special, especially the concierge and his staff, so much so that they looked after our bags, gave advice on things to do, got us taxis, looked up train times and yes remembered our names. The afternoon tea was great as where the evening cocktails and ambience, expertly looked after by Caesar and his team who was their again at breakfast. Only two small things that would have added to the stay. 1. Tea and coffee making facilities in the room would have been good and 2. At breakfast maybe Cranberry juice plus it looked like everyone left the tomatoes which where undercooked. But as I say a great stay and we will definitely return.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay over Valentines weekend so much, there is nothing better than afternoon tea post some shopping in Knightsbridge and Cesar’s bar is a haven at the end of the day. When you visit next, which I hope will be soon, please let us know that you would like tea and coffee making facilities in the room as this is something that we are happy to provide. Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel.

Kate Levin
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

The Capital is blessed by location and not really with a stunning outside architecture - but - as soon you step inside the staff of the hotel creates the value of high sophisticated hospitality.

The rooms are not competing with bling bling fellow properties, but the atomosphere of a private mansion exceeds by far other superficial caring hotel temples in London.

Food at Outlaws is a must if you stay. But also if you stay elsewhere this is a culinary revelation.

My fav hotel in London!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BoernieONEBerlin
Thank you so much for your amazing review, the entire team are delighted to read your comments. To hear that we are your favourite hotel in London is such a compliment and I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel and to Outlaw’s again very soon.

With many thanks once again

Kate Levin
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel, I mean it was our valentine's weekend. My husband booked this place months ago, and he thought he did an amazing job of finding a hotel with so many excellent reviews on tripadvisor.. reading up some of the most recent reviews though, I don't know if he really bothered to read any of them at all ..
I hate to just to pick out the negatives in a place like this, because it is what it is, an old fashioned hotel with an exceptional personal service. The concierge remembers your name from the minute you arrive, it's a family run place and you can tell it has many guests who visit year after year and would not stay anywhere else in London. As you can ready in some of the reviews. But I feel that that's all they have to rely on, returning guests who like the way the staff remembers your name, and can hold a conversation on where else you went on holiday this year.
Personally, from the moment of my arrival at this hotel, it was a disaster. I mean, ok, I was in a bad mood, because something had happened to me just before, so maybe I did not come across as the most friendly person. However, this should not matter to the hotel, because I am a guest, their job is to greet me in a pleasant manner, like when I go to a spa or hairdresser, maybe you hate the way I talk, or the way I look, but it's your job to be nice to me because you work in the service industry, right? Wrong .. The concierge took a one look at me and decided that he was going to come across as rude as possible. In a way that made me feel like like I wasn't really allowed to be talking to him over his concierge desk in a tiny reception area. There was a reception desk, looking back on it now, I should have gone straight to the reception desk, at least the ladies there were pleasant. And I know I should have noticed the desk when I walked through the door, but there was no one on that desk, and it's such a small reception desk, I simply missed it. As I said before, I don't like just picking the negatives in a place like this, I've been to many, many hotels in London and all over the world, but I never felt the way I did after being treated in the way I did by this concierge at this hotel. I'm sorry, but our valentine night was ruined, just about made it to the michelin starred restaurant downstairs, after nearly cancelling because I didn't want to give any more money to the hotel. My husband was upset, because he planned this night and we both looked forward to it so much, I was upset because I felt like I was not wanted at this hotel. Too sensitive? Maybe, but as I said before, I have stayed in enough hotel to know that even things really really go wrong, it never felt as bad as I did that night.
I'm sorry Capital hotel, I did love so many things about your hotel.. like.. oh never mind, too busy writing this review to remember!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NS77
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review. I was very glad to hear that you did love so many things about the hotel but I am obviously very sorry that you felt your welcome fell below our standards. As you mentioned we pride ourselves on our exceptional personal service and therefore this increases my disappointment that you did not enjoy all of your stay. I am personally looking into how this lapse occurred and am following up with the relevant team members.

I was delighted that your review of Outlaw's was so positive and that you enjoyed the tasting menu.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

For a birthday treat we enjoyed a delightful afternoon tea at the Capital Hotel. Charming staff, excellent choice of teas and everything we had, the sandwiches, the freshly baked scones and the desserts were delicious. Throughout , our charming waiter Cesar offered us extras of anything we wanted but what was on offer initially was more than enough. A most enjoyable afternoon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
A very thank you from Cesar and myself for your very kind review, we are delighted that we could help make your birthday all the special. We hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes