“Return Visit”
Review of The Capital Hotel

The Capital Hotel
Ranked #43 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Have been staying here for over 20 years. Staff as always courteous and very helpful. Rooms clean and well appointed. Internet was good and relatively fast allowed email and net business to proceed OK. Location as always a big feature.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RJW3552
Kate_Levin, Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We pride ourselves on being a home away from home we love to welcome back our regular guests, especially those we consider part of the family!

Looking forward to your next visit.

Kate

There are newer reviews for The Capital Hotel

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We only stayed for one night it has to be said so prehaps don't have enough experience of the place to fully view it. The reception staff were wonderful, by far the best bit of our stay was the welcome and helpfulness of the front desk. We had a slight issue with a non functioning toliet in our first room which was dealt with efficiently and very speedily will little impact on us, the perfect way of dealing with such an issue. The doorman was also lovely, arranging cabs speedily on request.
The downsides. We felt the room a little bland, dated almost. It could have been a room in any mediocre hotel. The bed however was wonderfully comfortable which I suppose is half the battle. We stayed at a four star in Westminister later in the week and felt that room much more cosy and inviting. Personal taste I suppose.
I found the bar staff to be very dis-interested. We had a drink at the bar before we left for dinner and then again on our return (only just however as they were almost closed and we definately felt as if we were putting them out.) I have worked in hotels of this standard and it is a job requirement to make pleasant conversation with your guests whereas here we barely even got a hello or thank-you. Given that you are adding a 12.5% service charge for drinks served to people seated at the bar I would think that there should be an element of service involved! A clue, if a guest chooses to sit at the bar they most likely want to engage in conversation. If they choose to sit in the lounge they probably don't. Pretty basic customer service.
Breakfast was serverly lacking. Granted the last time we ate here was when Chavot was in charge but I do think that Outlaw should pay at least some attention to what is being served in the morning in a restaurant area with his name on it. I have smoked haddock with poached egg. The fish was totally overcooked with little smoky taste, very dry. The poached egg was pefectly cooked but couldn't rescue the fish. The full english was very dissappointing. Poor sausage, not great bacon, scrambled eggs were not seasoned, cooked very badly. Toast seemed like supermarket level sliced bread. Plates also luke warm. Had I been paying for this on top of the room I would have been outraged that a 5 star hotel would put so little emphasis on the quality of their breakfast.
Good, but not 5 star standard in our opinion. We would choose to stay elsewhere next time we're in London.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments. I am very happy that you felt welcomed on arrival and that you found the bedroom comfortable although the decor was not to your taste.

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy the bar, Cesar and his team pride themselves on their excellent service and it is clear we have let ourselves down on this occasion but thank you for your feedback. It is also very sad to hear you did not enjoy your breakfast. We source our ingredients from the very best suppliers however we will discuss your comments in house as we always strive for continuous improvement.

With thanks again.

Kate.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I truly enjoyed my week long stay at The Capital Hotel.

The Concierge Staff was very instrumental in helping secure Tours, Theatre Tickets, Massages and Dinner Reservations. Graham and Clive were friendly, knowledgeable and dedicated to fulfilling our requests. They were also able to provide each of us with Power Adaptors for our electronic devises, so we didn't need to bring them from home, an added bonus!

We were always greeted by our names upon returning to the hotel each day.

The rooms are a bit small, but that seems to be standard for London. I stayed in a Classic Queen room, #257, which is newly renovated, with a very comfortable bed and nice decor. Each room comes with a fridge, flat screen and free wifi. If you are traveling alone this room is a perfect size. If you like to stretch out and sleep in the middle of the bed, I would advise not staying in the Classic King Double Room, as the King is just 2 twins pushed together and made to be a king, but with different mattress firmnesses.

The housekeeping staff tends to the room twice per day for cleanup, in the morning, and turn down service, in the evening. They do a thorough job and start noticing your preferences after a couple of visits.

I had a couple of minor issues in my room, a light bulb burnt out and my fridge was on the fritz, but a quick call or mention to the concierge and the problems were resolved immediately, they completely replaced my fridge with a brand new one!

I would not only recommend The Capital Hotel to travelers for the exceptional location, it is within walking distance to Harrods and Le Metro - Bar & Grill, with great food were we frequented often and you can charge it to your room, but I would also stay there again for the phenomenal staff.

Happy Travels!

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I am so thrilled to hear you would like to come and stay with us again, this is the greatest compliment you can give us. I was delighted to hear all the team looked after you so well especially concierge and housekeeping.

We are very blessed with our great location, I do hope you managed to get some Christmas shopping done. Knightsbridge is looking particularly festive this year!

Kate

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Visited The Capital a couple of weeks ago for afternoon tea to celebrate a friend's special birthday. From the moment we booked, we knew we would receive a warm welcome and would be very well looked after. The room was warm and cosy, small but not at all cramped, felt like we were having tea at a friends house. The sandwiches, cakes and scones were delicious and there were plenty of them! A fantastic selection of teas too. The birthday girl was presented with a teddy bear during the afternoon and they had piped a happy birthday message onto her plate of cakes, those little extra touches made it really special and were very much appreciated.The gentleman looking after us couldn't have been more helpful and attentive, I would definitely recommend The Capital for afternoon tea and will be back in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Kate_Levin, General Manager at The Capital Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your review I am delighted that you and your friend had such a happy tea to celebrate her birthday. Cesar and his team know how important the little things are, and it is so nice to hear they were appreciated. We all very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

The location was perfect! The rooms are fine the bed very comfortable and the breakfast fantastic!
The staff very friendly and helpful! The only complain I had is that the internet was very very very slow and sometimes was not working at all! When you are on a trip for pleasure doesn't mind but when you are on a business trip it mutters a lot!!!
I will retern if I'm in London for holidays but not if I'm for business and I need to have internet!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank GKS2013H

Thank you very much for your review. I am so sorry you have had trouble with our internet during your stay. We have addressed this issue by installing a new system this week which has resolved this matter. I was very happy to hear that you found the hotel comfortable and that you will hopefully be returning to see us again soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

very central location close to the underground and next door to Harrods, a wonderful building, well taken care off, furnished and decorated with a lot of love, respect for tradition and style and with fine finishing touches.
Very friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms with everything one can expect in a 4* hotel.
Good value for this price, pleasant hotel

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

There is no greater compliment then comparing our hotel to your own home! We take great care in our refurbishment to ensure we maintain our classic English style and I am delighted that you liked it. Thank you so much for your review.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Capital is a wonderful, small hotel in the tradition of treating travellers like guests, and meaning it. Great location on basil St, half a block from Harrods one way and half a block from the Knightsbridge station the other way. A 10 minute walk to Sloane Square.
All of the staff are friendly and welcoming, without being obsequious. They quickly learn your name, and greet you accordingly.
The Classic rooms are comfortable and well-appointed. although small. All that's missing is a coffee maker. very comfortable beds and quiet, effective A/C. The bathroom is tiny, although elegantly outfitted in marble and gleaming chrome fixtures. Water pressure in the shower is weak by North American standards, but marginally acceptable.
Some will find the bathroom small enough to be claustrophobic, stepping up an extra 90 GBP per night to the Deluxe level will get a larger room with a larger bathroom.
Friendly little bar off the lobby, with an excellent all-day menu. We have stayed in more than a dozen hotels aorund London, and really like the Capital. From the front door, it's an easy walk to Mayfair, Piccadilly, Belgravia and Chelsea. We'll be back.

Room Tip: The classic room is very comfortable, but on the small side, with a tiny bathrooom. Next up are the...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay, thank you for writing your review. We are so lucky to be in such a central location which is so convenient for our guests. I was particularly delighted to hear that the team had welcomed you warmly and we all look forward to seeing you on your return visit.