“Living Nightmare”
Review of The Berkeley

The Berkeley
Ranked #77 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Rude, obnoxious, horrendous staff. We were booked into the Berkeley by the staff of The Lanesborough as our party had grown by one and they were no longer able to accommodate our booking. When we arrived the doorman and security man just stared at us until I finally had to beckon the doorman over to assist us with our bags. The doorman and security were horrendously rude and grudgingly agreed to assist us. Not only that but I was so taken aback by their blatant obnoxious behaviour I immediately asked to speak to the Manager. He was even worse and dismissed the complaint as a figment of our imagination. The rooms are comfortable and luxurious but the staff are very, very rude. Throughout our 3 night stay the staff were continually rude, lackadaisical and prone to harassing our visiting guests. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone unless of course you can transport the bedrooms to another hotel. I am yet to understand the reason for the inherent rudeness.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
8  Thank hollytrip
Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed September 12, 2008

I stayed with my wife and children earlier this month. I had seen the rather negative reviews on trip advisor and was a little concerned. I had no reason to be at all.
We arrived by taxi,the door staff whisked away our cases and we entered the hotel. The public rooms are not large or grand but pure understated luxury.That is a phrase that in my view would sum up the hotel.Check in was efficient ,given a complimentary drink and then shown to our rooms.
We had 2 interconnecting rooms which where well appointed with excellent bathrooms.There where little presents, cookies and drinks for the kids in the room which was a nice touch. Lovely towels, toiletaries, linen, as one would expect.
We ate in Petrus the first night and had the taster menu which was fantastic the only word of warning was we had the taster wine. 8 glasses later I can only vaugly recall the pudding. Somebody did say " you didnt have to drink them all" but hay!
Breakfast was very good cold buffet hot served at the table. The quality of the ingredients was apparent.
The second night we ate in the Boxwood Cafe. this too was very good. We again had the taster menu and the wine waiter was exceptionally good.The kids meals where a very good. My youngest said the pudding was the best part of London!
I have seen some negative comments about the staff. All i saw was a very helpful team from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. We are not the typical guests at a 5 star hotel with our 4 children etc. but where made to feel welcome and looked after very welll.
overall a lovely quitly sedate luxury hotel that i would love to stay at again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank pentrelegal
Reviewed August 5, 2008

What a strange hotel this is. The whole family stayed here for one night for my brother's 40th, and had very high expectations, given the price and the occassion.

The best bits:
Firstly, and I can't stress this highly enough, the restaurants are absolutely excellent. I can't speak highly enough of Petrus, and box-wood is great fun.
The staff in the bar are very attentive and the night conceirge is a very pleasant chap. The hotel also has a great location - right opposite the park, and a few doors up from Harvey Nichols and Harrods.
The room we finally got (when we had the correct one) was nice. A good view of the church, very quiet, with a great bed and nice bathroom.

The bad bits:
As soon as you step out of the restaurant into the hotel proper, the experience is very different.
Arriving was hilarious. We were wearing T-shirts (since I don't wear a suit on my day off and my sister generally takes off her scrubs after a shift) so the doormen barely acknowledged our existence. No-one greeted us or showed us to reception.
We were then treated to a very poor check-in service. The lady on the desk was either very rude, or spoke very poor English. Either way, it resulted in her not listening to (or understanding?) a word we were saying.
We were then led to two terrible rooms, carrying our own bags (for £300 per night). One was a single - she repeatedly asked me "you on your own yes?" despite my saying that my girlfriend would arrive after work about 15 times. The other was hilarious once more - there was a man painting the wall - an hour and a half after check-in time! She then proceeded to berate the poor cleaner who tried to tell her (correctly) we were in the wrong rooms. - very unprofessional.
Another lady then arrived at the room, and said she was "devastated", but we were in the wrong rooms. Really?!
In the morning, my sister was treated to a lady barging into the room, despite the "do not disturb sign", when she had just stepped out of the shower.
My girlfriend and I then paid £44 for eggs poached seemingly in vinegar (very nasty), two glasses of juice, and (no exaggeration) one slice of toast each.

Overall, I would recommend staying at the Four Seasons up the road, and visiting Petrus for the wonderful dining experience!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank Hardstu81
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I stayed at the Berkeleys 2 days in June, was about to be there for 4 nights but shorten my stay because this hotel has completly nothing to offer! Vary rude and unfriendly staff! If u dont tip they treat u without respect! Room condition horrible, furniture v old and impossible to sit on as if feels like they are about to break!!!
The worst of worst was when i saw 2 discusting insects (looking like cocroaches) passing by my bed!!! What a nightmare!!!
Someone should reduce the amount of stars!
Verry dissapointing.

Stayed: June 2008
5  Thank annhudan
Reviewed June 22, 2008

Very plush on the surface but lots of things didn't work.
The superior king turned out to be 2 singles pushed together.
We stayed for 4 nights and I list below problems that should not exist in a hotel of this type.

1 day the room wasn't cleaned(management didn't apologise they sent the cleaner to do so.)
2. On 2 occasions the room not turned down.
3. Newspapers ordered but not delivered.
4. Leaky pipe and noisy lift kept one awake at night.

Other minor niggles which spoilt the overall stay.
Would not recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank londrepyramid
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We stayed for a night in a one-bedroom suite on the second floor, which had been refurbished. The suite was luxuriously decorated and furnished, and had televisions in the sitting room and bedroom. There was a sofa and armchair, coffee table and desk in the sitting room, with another armchair in the bedroom. There was a walk-in wardrobe which led to the huge bathroom (which could also be got to from the hallway). The bathroom was fabulous, with a very capacious walk-in shower and a large bath framed by faux-marble columns.

The Berkeley suffers slightly from being above an underground line, and on the second floor the trains can be heard (and felt): this might not be a problem higher up. Our room also had a rattling fan in the air-conditioning.

Lunch in the Boxwood Cafe was relaxed and very enjoyable, with efficient service and good food. Service at breakfast in the Caramel room was a little slow, but there was nothing wrong with it otherwise.

The public spaces at the Berkeley are relatively small, but very stylish. The Blue Bar is obviously the place to be in the evening, and is very busy and quite noisy later on.

One of the best aspects of the Berkeley is the rooftop terrace, pool, gym and spa. This is very good indeed, and could be a deciding factor in staying here (especially while the Savoy is closed).

Overall we were very pleased with our stay, and would be very happy to go back.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank DarleyTraveller
Reviewed May 9, 2008

Stayed for just one night as a very special occasion. Oh my goodness. What an awesome experience this was. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIPs. Greeted at the kerbside and taken straight to our rooms. They were immaculate. Beautiully furnished. We used room service a lot due to one of our party being poorly. We weren't disappointed. Everything was fabulous, from presentation to the quality of the food and the generous portion sizes. We used the roof top pool.... roofless in the beautiful sun it was warm and such fun. Breakfast... what can I say..... fabulous buffet and amazing choice of hot dishes on request. Any negatives? Can't think of one. Oooh the bathrooms have Asprey soaps etc!!! Sooooo nice.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family