“Beautiful Hotel! Luxury stay!”
Review of The Berkeley

The Berkeley
Ranked #67 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed recently in a terrace king room, the room was beautiful and the balcony was a lovely size, fantastic in the summer months! Everything was catered for. The room is pricey but compared to other 5* hotels this was by far my favourite. The pool area is small but a rare retreat in London with the open roof. If you are able to splash out, this is the hotel

Room Tip: King Balcony Room - Enjoy breakfast in your room
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carly b

Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I booked a special weekend here last minute for the Jubilee weekend. We thought living in london it would be the perfect spot, spa break and destination hotel which it was, however It did not live up to all our expectations as it was over priced and disappointing. We have stayed at many 5* hotel in England ie. fourseasons and knew it would be pricey but not that much. Definetly a place for those who are not worried about luxury at a price!

On arrival we were greeted by a member of staff from the front desk we were offered a drink (which was a nice idea) however my husband wanted a diet coke which wasn't on the tray, the gentlemen said no problem we can have that delivered to your room, however it never came and we annoyingly had a chase it up! (what was a nice touch was not). The rooms are small and nothing special but equipped with all the esentials (toiletries, water and mini bar) Being the the berkely I thought maybe they might have a ipod docking system or something special like that. The room looked abit tired and alittle old fashion. From memory there were no tea making facilities.
The hotel is in a prime location in Knightbridge. Perfect spot for a city break or business trip as you have easy access to all transportation - tube (picadilly line) buses and taxis. It is right next to hyde park (walking distance), pefect if you enjoy a brisk walk, running and great for the kids if they like feeding the ducks? It is right next to the famous harvey nic's shopping centre (fab if you like designer shopping?) and walking distance to other high street shops and the famous 'harrods' department store which is great for shopping, afternoon tea or a spot of lunch. The mandarin hotel is opposite which also has an amazing spa and is perfect for afternoon tea. the Dorchester hotel isn't too far away and again is worth a visit for afternoon tea or spa trip. If you don't like/or want to eat at the hotel there are plenty of restaurants near by - chains like - cafe rouge, wagamama or haute quisine restaurants such as zuma (japanese -walking distance), zafferano's (italian -walking distance), alain ducasse (french - taxi), amaya (indian - walking distance), petrus (french - walking distance) which are all gorgeous and worth a trip. The hotel is also happy to organise and book any restaurant for you. The fine dining restaurant at the hotel is also very special and worth a visit however it is very expensive! We were charged for desert which we didn't even eat! I thought we asked if we could have the cheese and pay extra instead but they charged us for both..very disappointing. The room service is extremely expensive in the hotel so be warned. Our breakfact was nearly £100 for the two of us! Wish we went out! Not sure what breakfast was like in the hotel as we had room service both mornings.
The spa was very tired and very noisey. There was a concert in the park so during my treatment i could hear everything (not very relaxing and very disappointing). The locker room was very messy and unkept (not 5 star) on a possitive note my treatment was lovely and my therapist was very professional. I would highly recomend the massages and facials. I believe they are in the process of the up-doing the spa. The pool area is very small and again was messy and unkept (glasses and towels not picked up). On a good note complementry tea, coffee, juice and fruit is offered and the spa staff are very friendly and approachable. I recommend you book treatments in advance as they only have a few treatment rooms and book up.
I would recommend this hotels to others however I would not stay here again. I believe it is the perfect destination hotel for a couple, family or those on a business trip.

When booking rooms, I recommend you ask for a quiet room as being near the park might be noisey!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (opposite the church) unless you would like a view of the park? standard room w...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Punkylondon
Justin P, General Manager at The Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear “Punkylondon”
Thank you very much for sharing your comments; we are delighted you enjoyed the location of the hotel.
We apologise that it was necessary for you to call for your arrival drink to be delivered and I agree that what should have been a pleasant welcoming touch was unnecessarily tainted. We do have a variety of styles and size of accommodation on offer to suit all individuals’ tastes and requirements.
You are indeed correct that since your stay we have now completed a refurbishment of our spa facilities and are pleased that you enjoyed your spa treatment and the complimentary refreshments on offer. We are however very sorry if it was not looking its best at the time of your visit and if you were disturbed during your treatment by one of the Hyde Park Jubilee celebration events taking place.
We pride ourselves on being able to take care of our guests every requirement and therefore prefer to deliver tea and coffee to our guests through room service, with our prices being in-line with other luxury hotels in London.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you will allow us to welcome you back.
Yours sincerely
Justin Pinchbeck

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Have stayed there a few times in the last couple of months. It is a great hotel although I am no fan of the rather cramped Blue Bar.

Rooms have been good, well serviced with good lighting and great bathrooms. Furnishings are to a high standard and linens of excellent quality.

The spa and the rather pleasant bijou pool are great particularly on those rare days when the London sun has peeked through the clouds and the pool roof is retracted. Can't beat that.

Haven't eaten recently in the restaurants but room service is excellent, timely and well presented.

Oh and it is very quiet with surprisingly good views from the higher floors.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank nowvoyager1
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Amazing place to relax and enjoy your evening. We had excellent service with very friendly and helpful waitress Dzoulita, more then we expected. All cocktails recommendations were just perfect. You must try cocktail `Sex in the City` and many more. Great place with very lovely atmosphere and very attentive wonderful service. Be prepared to spend a bundle here, but it is worth it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mathwie R
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

We spent here 4 nights last week. The hotel is great, the service very nice, the food at the bar pretty good too! Can't ask for a better address in London , few steps away from Harvey Nichols , Harrods and all the major attractions. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank EleUdinTrip
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Went for some drinks after a meal one evening. This was such a nice setting, the drinks were special and the service knowledgeable and interesting. Had a great time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Given the location and prices one expects 5 star service - not the case. Check in took 10 minutes with no one waiting. They have a side bar with refreshments - so at least I could pour myself a sparking water. I requested a "quiet room" - that's it. The front desk assured me I'd have a pleasant sleep.

Went up to the room, #219, and it was right on the busiest street with loud traffic and the size of a shoe box - room for a queen bed and TV (DO NOT STAY IN THIS ROOM). I asked the bell hop if there were quieter rooms and he said that this was one of the worst in the hotel - the room map confirmed it. I called the front desk and said I'd be in the bar and to find me another room.

Thankfully I was switched to #211 => much better => super quiet and twice the size. Very comfortable king size bed, sitting area, large bathroom, high ceilings and I-pod doc alarm clock.

As a business traveler - I don't have the time for the front desk's games - to waste 10 minutes at check in and lie to my face about the room - what's the point?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BeachMax
Justin P, General Manager at The Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear “BeachMax”
Thank you very much for your feedback; it is clear we did not provide you with a true Berkeley arrival experience that we pride ourselves on and please be assured it was certainly not our intention to disappoint or inconvenience you in any way.
The Superior Queen room you had booked is ideal for the single traveller and offers a Queen-size bed, marble en-suite bathroom and writing desk, we are however pleased that you found our larger Deluxe King category of room to be more to your liking and we appreciate your feedback.
Yours sincerely