“Worth the money”
Review of The Beaufort Hotel

The Beaufort Hotel
Ranked #365 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After staying here for just one night, the hotel was incredibly quiet for being so close to the busy shopping on the town. The bed was extremely comfortable, and lots of room to spread out even with my partner. The only issues i have with the hotel is that the duvet just fits on the bed, as it's so large so when sharing the bed it was difficult to keep covered. The breakfast is quite expensive when considering what you can get with the £14 that is costs, and also, the carpet in the halls are striped, which fools the eye, and I managed to fall off a step as it looked invisible. The bar is in the reception area, and contains all of the main branded alcohols and soft drinks which was nice as I was expecting cheap brands that nobody has ever heard of. The hotel is literally off the high street so no taxi needed, and if you want to visit Hyde park or Buckingham palace, it's just a £10 black cab drive. I would highly recommend this hotel for anybody. Don't go on a Rickshaw as they rip you off.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AJLH1

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Nice hotel, slightly up from the centre so benefits from a quieter residential area whilst being walkable to everywhere.

Really nice rooms, the bar was a strange atmosphere so didn't spend much time in there though.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gfpescetarian
Reviewed January 1, 2013

First traveled to this hotel this past June when i traveled solo to the UK, and i felt like i was coming home each night, instead of back to my hotel. Located on a lovely side street, it's surprisingly quiet considering Brompton Road is only around the corner. I love the charm of this hotel. Also love the lovely tea and scone service between 3-5 and made use of this often. Since that stay, my husband and I have stayed two more times and will continue to call this hotel "home" when we are in London.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank UKTraveler06
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights at the Beaufort. The women at the desk are polite but not very knowledgable with transportation, restaurants, etc. They are slow and unsure in looking up anything on their computers in terms of direction or giving out info. The attic room 52 where I stayed is large and comfortable. Only a strange thing happened late one night when I went out for a late dinner at 10 pm. When I returned at 11:30 pm, I opened my door to find my TV blasting. I never watch TV so I asked the front desk if someone had gone into my room and they told me that no one had opened my door...spirits perhaps?? I was traveling alone. The elevator does not go to the attic (my room). You must go to the 4th floor and walk up one flight of stairs to get to the top floor. I was told this is the best room and it was lovely and well decorated. It does feel like a charming home and I did feel safe even though I had a small incident there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank pinkybrattlboro
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaufort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear Pinkybrattlboro,

Thank you for the feedback on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you liked your room, not least the
size, design and comfort of our standards of accommodation. At The Beaufort we go out of our way
to ensure all our guests feel at home and the team is thrilled with your kind comments regarding the
room.

Following your feedback we have looked into the matter of the LCD screen coming on whilst you are
out and although this is the first time it has been reported, we have concluded that the remote must
have been pressed by mistake by one of our housekeeping team members during the servicing of
the room. This might have happened without the knowledge of the team member as remote controls
are usually the final item to clean during the servicing of our bedrooms. We are glad you felt safe
nonetheless as security is paramount at The Beaufort and apologise for any inconvenience this
caused you

Regarding the level of information you received from our concierge desk, I am surprised that you
felt the team wasn’t as knowledgeable as you would like. Our records show that all your questions
were answered within minutes. Due to the vast number of businesses around our location, it is
sometimes necessary to consult our e-concierge library for the most up to date contact details and
this usually takes no more than a minute or two. Our concierge staff are all Londoners and are well
tuned with most of the information our guests would require. Of course, we also constantly update our
e-concierge database to ensure our guests get accurate information.

We thank you for your feedback and hope to welcome you again to The Beaufort before too long.

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed December 15, 2012

How can this hotel be described as 5 star?
I spend 6 months of the year travelling and staying in Hotels and this hotel has the dubious honour of being the only hotel I have ever moved out of early and into another hotel.
I has one thing going for it, Location and even that wears off after a day or two.
The facilities in the room are poor which includes very small combination bath/shower, a TV set that only faces the bed even if you have a suite with a lounge as well as dreadful lines across the screen on only basic channels, a small double bed and my room had a vinyl floor. No mini bar or room service except breakfast. The reception staff don't go out of their way at all to make you feel welcome and are generally unhelpful or have to be called a second time to get action.
Even the most basic things like calling a taxi appear to be a drag, they keep wanting you to take a private taxi which takes much longer, obviously because they get some sort of commission from it.

Room Tip: anything above ground floor means walking up steep stairs or in a slow one man lift
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Wozza62
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaufort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Wozza62,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. For the benefit of readers on Tripadvisor, I would like to address the points you raised in your review.

The Beaufort hotel is not self-rated, it is independently inspected and certified by the relevant rating authorities. For us to retain our exclusivity, we regularly check and where necessary replace any items that we feel are below our exerting standards. We are surprised to read your comments regarding our in-room entertainment system. All our LCD screens are either on flexible stands or tilting wall brackets allowing guests to position the screen at a viewing angle of their choice. Unlike many of our competitors, we offer a variety of channels including a rage of movie channels at no extra cost.

It is true that the room you were allocated does come with anti- allergy flooring. This is the only room in the hotel with a non-carpeted floor finish although comfort rugs are provided. As with any other high-end hotel, it is vital that we offer a variety of room types to our guests. As it happens, it is a very popular room but accepts that it is not to every guest’s taste. We would have happily moved you to an alternative room had you notified our front of house team of any inconvenience
It is indeed correct that we do not have mini-bars in bedrooms. This is because we uniquely offer a free open bar to all guests. Guests can order drinks of their choice including Champaign as often as they would like at no extra cost. This is contrary to what mini-bars provide which can add a considerable amount of cost to a guest’s final bill. We also offer complimentary cream tea and freshly baked home-made scones ensuring that our guests get exceptional value and an unrivalled experience when staying at The Beaufort.

As for the service you received, I am puzzled by your comments as one of the reasons guests stay at The Beaufort is because of our people who will go out of their way to ensure The Beaufort is home away from home for all our guests as noted by other reviewers. We pride ourselves in the personalised service all our guests received.
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and thank you for your review. We hope we will have another opportunity when we hope to meet and exceed your expectations

Regards,

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Having spent the last three nights camping in hospital whilst my daughter is being treated for acute asthma, my husband very kindly took over the camp bed so I could get a good nights sleep! The room at the hotel which is just a short stroll from the hospital had been booked by my husband in advance and all credit card details supplied. All I wanted to do on arrival at 9.30pm was to have a bath, watch TV and relax....In fact my stay could not have been any further from that! On arrival I was tackled about payment, even though I had the confirmation of booking and payment from the hotel on e-mail, this still seemed to be a problem! Once allowed to my room I tried to turn the TV on and it wouldn't work, I really couldn't be bothered with the hassle of engineers coming to the room so I opted to listen to the radio. I ran a bath and tried to relax. No...there was a power cut! I don't know what caused this but it wasn't a comfortable situation, I was in a small room that wasn't big enough to swing a cat and I wasn't familiar with it, in addition the room was below ground so there was no external light and I had to sramble around to find my clothes and key card, etc.... I went to reception who couldn't tell me what it was or how long it would last. I went back to my room and tried to go to sleep. The power came back on at 4am along with all the lights and the radio!! At 6am the hotel and street seemed to wake up, it was chaos, I could hear staff talking loudly as they went about work and even the conversation of the people staying in the next room! Sleep and rest went out of the window! To top it off I had ordered breakfast in reception in the dark and ordered the wrong thing!! On check out they were still debating issues with regards to payment, which had been processed in advance. I discussed all of the above but the staff didn't go any way to make a kind or complimentary gesture for any inconvenience, incompetance or the disturbance. Even a complimentary newspaper would have helped but no they charged me for that too! My daughters illness and the power cut is not the fault of the staff but I was very dissapointed with their lack of personal service and humanity given the situation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TheBellOwner
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaufort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear HellsBells033,

Thank you for leaving feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at The Beaufort recently. We are sorry to learn that your daughter was ill and I trust she has fully recovered. Having thoroughly investigated the points you raised in your review, I would like to make the following observations.
Payment – Your husband made the room reservation through a third party booking site and whilst they might have taken your husband’s credit card to guarantee the booking, his card was not charged by the online travel agent or the hotel. This is why payment was requested from you upon check-in. We also couldn’t have charged your husband’s credit card because he has not authorised the hotel to charge his card in his absence. I apologise for any inconvenience this caused but the member of staff who checked you in followed routine and proper protocols.
Power-Cut – I am sorry for the power-cut that occurred during your stay with us. This was caused by an external issue that affected the entire Knightsbridge area and whilst we were in full communication with the national grid enabling us to provide torches, other means of light and status updates to our guests every half an hour, the problem was out of our control and we were at the liberty of the power authority as it was an area wide problem. This is the first power-cut we have experienced in a very long time.
Breakfast – the team delivered the breakfast that was ordered. We would have been more than happy to replace your breakfast free of charge should you have notified a member of the team that you would prefer a different breakfast option.
Noise – The hotel is located in an exclusive residential area in Knightsbridge and even though we are moments away from all the hustle and bustle of world famous stores, restaurants, museums and much more, our tree-lined side street is extremely quiet and therefore I am perplexed by the noise you referred to. I am nonetheless sorry for the noise you experienced.
Rooms – All our rooms meet our exerting 5* standards regardless of the location. The air-conditioning and TV was not working due to the unfortunate power-cut indicated above.
Notwithstanding the above, we thank you for your feedback and once again apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the matter further.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Having searched last.minute.com for a good 5 star hotel the Beaufort popped up - On arrival was met with a warm friendly greeting - they upgraded me to a larger room - which was nice. The complimentary bar was a nice touch. The rooms were well appointed and the overall feel of the place was botiue. I would highly recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Richard B
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaufort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Richard B,

We are pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay at The Beaufort.

We appreciate the fact that you have stressed the importance of the service received since providing excellent Guest Service is of our main aims.

We look forward to welcome you again in the future.

Kind Regards,