“Great Staff and service! Hotel a bit tired!”
Review of The Beaufort Hotel

The Beaufort Hotel
Ranked #368 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is my second visit to this hotel. The first time, almost two years ago, I was really impressed with the service and the decor. This time around great service, with great staff, but, the hotel is looking a bit tired. Breakfast in the room, along with a daily paper of my choice was a lovely and appreciated option. Location is superb for shopping and access to the tube. The street cafe/bars, at the end of the street and over the main road, are great for observing the world in this part of London. They offer good food and drink at reasonable prices. Overall I really enjoyed my visit-5 days, but, probably next time, will look for a different hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the fifth floor, as the lift only goes to the fourth floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at The Beaufort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Ailsa1955,

I am glad to read that this is your second stay with us. I am even more pleased to note that you were satisfied with the service you received from the team at The Beaufort. I note your comments regarding our furnishing. As the hotel is designed led, we constantly review our fixtures and fittings to ensure they are well maintained and presentable at all times. We frequently replace items for enhance the comfort and experience of our guests.

Thank you for highlighting our location. We are located in the heart of Knightbridge, one of London’s most sorts after central locations. With only minutes away to the best shopping and eating London can offer, our guests are spoilt for choice. Our hotel is also minutes away from a transport hub that leads to all corners of London.

We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor and look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Hotel Beaufort is not at all a 5 star hotel and cannot even be considered a real hotel, but a set of furnished rooms without common services and centralized typical of the hotel.

In fact:

a) the lobby is made up of a small room with a shelf about half meter by one meter to place the documents;

b) there is not only a restaurant, but even a place where you can have breakfast (who is usually present even in pensions), so you must have breakfast only in the room;

c) to the lift, missing a surveillance service, customers must compose a combination encrypted using a control panel located under the handle of the access door to the only one elevator;

d) the elevator is antediluvian (to access it you need to open two doors, one with a mesh of iron that was used perhaps at the time of the Great War) and is so tiny that it, as a sign warns, can access only, alternatively, a person more luggage or two people, and the slowness of this lift is maddening (I found that to get to the room I had at first assigned, no. located at the 4th floor, it takes about 3 minutes, if there was enough space, you could take a nap while waiting);

e) there is no minibar in the rooms; despite this and despite the fact that I had paid the amount of accommodation for all six nights in advance, I was asked for my credit card and to sign a receipt in advance as "deposit"

The unpleasant surprises did'nt end here.

The first surprise occurred two days after moving in, when I have found that my wristwatch (thankfully not of great value: it was a steel Swatch that I bought last year for € 120-130), which I had left on the bed, was no longer present in the room. I reported his disappearance to the staff of the CD hotels, inviting them to do further research.

I had to leave the so called hotel without my wristwatch and, at the end of the stay, I had to file a formal complaint with the police. It 's the first time in many decades of travel, that this happen to me.

Not happy for the disappearance of the wristwatch, the direction of the so called hotel, at the time of departure, has added to the bill (essentially made up of breakfast consumed in the room), the sum of £ 104.17, plus 20% VAT - and thus a total of 125 pounds, as a penalty arbitrarily and unilaterally determined by them for alleged costs of cleaning the room, "contaminated" by cigarette smoke (for a couple of cigarettes smoked in the balcony of the room).

I pointed out that I was not willing to accept it, since I had even accepted a room of a lower and smaller rather than have discussions about smoking. I was told abruptly that they rubbed my grievances and, using the form in trust signed blank at the beginning, they charged that amount on my credit card Visa.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Giovi3Roma

Dear Giovi3Roma,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at our boutique hotel. Your points have been noted and for the benefit of other readers, I would like to make the following observations.

Although our reception and lobby area is unfortunately not as large as you were expecting, it is sufficiently adequate for our 29 individually designed luxury rooms as noted by many of our other guests on Tripadvisor.
It is indeed the case that we do not have a restaurant and this is made clear on all of our booking channels including our own website. That said, most of our guests are extremely happy with the breakfast service we offer. By offering a room service breakfast, our guests do not have to worry about rushing down to a breakfast room, securing a table, etc. We offer a full breakfast service delivered to the room at a time that suit individual guests. We are delighted to be able to offer this exclusive service to our guests at no extra cost.
We are sorry that you find our elevator’s doors and speed a little slow for your liking. Our lift is well maintained and runs on a standard speed for the height of the building.
Whilst we do not offer minibars in our rooms, we offer a free bar for our guests, yes, a free bar until 11pm. Rather than get our guests to pay for expensive minibar drinks, we offer all our guests free bar instead. At The Beaufort, we are proud of this special complimentary service open to all our guests no matter what room-type you book.
I am extremely sorry to hear that your watch went missing whilst staying at our hotel. We take such complaints seriously and will review the matter in question once again to ensure such an incident is prevented in future. Let me take this opportunity to assure our guests that this is a rare incident at The Beaufort and we will review our procedures and protocols to ensure a second episode is prevented in future.
We thank you for staying with us and we apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us on this occasion.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is a great find for London, if you can get an offer on the rate. It's is located just around the corner from Harrods, so easy access to loads of sites and shops. It's accommodation is a good standard at that you'd expect of a boutique hotel, but the thing that really impresses is the quality of the service from the staff. Nothing was too much trouble. They do free freshly baked cream teas between 2pm and 5pm and a free bar for residents (provided you don't go crazy).
It's all together very nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HelenW017
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Great hotel for its location to the underground, Hyde Park and Harrod's. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful, complimentary bar from 3 till 11pm very handy for pre dinner drink etc and also we would recommend the afternoon cream tea, also complimentary. Rooms not the biggest, but more than made up for in quality.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We booked this hotel on the secretescapes website and I must say that I was not disappointed in the least. The location is fantastic: about a 5-7 minute walk from the Underground and very close to Harrod's and Harvey Nichols (even better!!!). The staff and the service were excellent. We had cream tea served in our room, complete with scones. Our Junior Suite was perfect for the three of us - plenty of room to spread out. We also had breakfast served in bed the next morning, which was a sheer delight. I highly recommend the Beaufort Hotel. Ask the staff about the wonderful Italian restaurant nearby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This small beautique hotel is simply superb , I have stayed many times now and just cannot fault it .The girls on reception are always very kind and helpful . The rooms are always immaculate , bedding lovely .
I can't really say much more as have no faults at all .
Looking forward to my next stay .
Andrew Bunney .

Room Tip: Sorry there isn't a swimming pool or gym but couldn't get it off the ratings .
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 1ab123
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We arrived at 11.30 am on Saturday 18th August and we were surprised our room was available so we checked in. The room was small but adequate as a base, it was clean with a decent size en-suite (we found it OK as we spend most of our time sightseeing and not in the room). Reception and service from all staff was excellent, we had a problem with the tv that was promptly fixed. The self service bar was nice to come back too after a hard days walking. It was nice to sit in the reception area and have a drink with other residents. I had read mainly good reports about this hotel on Tripadvisor but there was the occasional bad report which usually happens with reviews and we usually dismiss those negative reports when there are only one or two. I have stayed in larger hotels in London with better facilities, but on balance, this was a nice hotel with a more friendly atmosphere because of its size and we would return because it is ideal as a base for shopping. Only thing missing is tea and coffee facilities in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple