“100th stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Stockland, Devon, uk
“100th stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

I last wrote a review of this hotel back in 2004, saying how special a place it is, well nothing has changed, it is still wonderful and since then we have stayed at the Draycott at least once a fortnight, sometimes more. We celebrated our 100th stay here on our last visit in April. Something which was pointed out in one of the hand written cards that is left in the room.

The biggest compliment I can pay now is to say that when it is possible, wherever we are in the country, we make the effort to stay here, even if it means adding hours onto our journey time. It is so worthwhile, here we know what to expect. .... great staff, a beautiful room, comfort, and very important to us, a good nights sleep. There is also the added bonus of the excellent location with great restaurants and shopping nearby, a winning combination by anyones' standards.

Needless to say our next visit is imminent and we very much look forward to it, along with the next 100 visits!!

• Liked — tastefully decorated, quiet surroundings, great location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank NBarnesStockland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2007

Fantastic location, quietly situated in Belgravia behind Sloane Square and easy reach of everything. This is possibly the best hotel in London and really does feel like a home from home. Yes, some of the singles are small ( I prefer to think of them as cosy! ), but they are oustanding value for central London ( given the standard of the hotel ). Do book well in advance, better directly, as the word is getting out and the hotel is getting more and more popular. Do take a walk in the gardens with a complimentary glass of champagne ( served between 5 and 6 from memory ) and be amazed that you are in central London. Staff are usually excellent. Enjoy.

• Liked — Quality
  • Disliked — Single rooms can very small
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Angusf27
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

Another great couple of nights at the Draycott. Premium price but luxurious room and discreet service in a great location. Had a room on the 3rd floor looking onto the road which was a bit noisy on the first night but didn't notice it on the next. The complimentary afternoon tea, champagne at 6 and goodnight cocoa is great. Dissapointed that the Chelsea Kitchen has shut but had a croissant in Paul's.

• Liked — Luxury
  • Disliked — Road noise
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Teacake_Taster
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2007

Wow! My husband and I went in to London and stayed at the Draycott for a night and would have moved in if it were possible. This hotel is just perfectly charming and perfectly located. It is located right off of Sloane Square (2 minute walk from Sloane Square tube station) right in the heart of Chelsea.

It is in a red brick building located in a very "posh" residential area. The decor is very English and very elegant. Our room was absolutely amazing. When we walked up to it we saw that our name had been posted on the door in calligraphy, and when we entered we found a personalized welcome note accompanied by a fire in the fire place and classical music on the stereo-- it was wonderful! The room was huge with a king size bed with crisp white linens, down pillows and duvet, a large sitting area with a sofa and loveseat (with down fill, my favorite) with a fire place that we could turn on or off, a stereo with a CD player, DVD player (US DVDs dont work in English players, but the hotel has an extensive DVD library), and a mini bar. The bathroom, although small, was just lovely with a bath/shower combination with great water pressure, and high end toiletries. The best part of the room was that it was individually decorarted with antique furnishings and wall hangings-- none of the stale hotel chain decor. We really felt like we were staying in a guest room at some enormous English manor verse a hotel.

Upon arrival do not be thrown off by the lack of formal reception as the personalized attention of the staff will more than compensate.

This is by far our favorite hotel we have stayed in and can not recommend it more highly. Look no further because you have found THE perfect London hotel!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank lylescovell
Rickinghall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2007

This is a treasure of an hotel tucked away in Chelsea just off Sloane Square.
For those who like their hotels different to the everyday chains this hotel is perfect, From a comfy sitting room where afternoon tea, early evening champagne and evening hot chocolate were served with complementary biscuits to the individual bedrooms named after a variey of famous actors and literary folk., the ambiance of this hotel is superb.
All the staff were extremely friendly, and nothing was too much trouble for them. The sandwiches they produced for our late night supper were rather tasty to say the least. We will definately be returning.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank hillyone
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2007

I had the opportunity to stay at the Draycott twice this month, and I have nothing but good reviews of this jewel located in Chelsea. With my first visit, I arrived at the hotel at 8am after a trans-atlantic flight, and within one hour I was shown to my room. I was offered the option of taking breakfast while waiting for my room or simply relax in the drawing room where there was a roaring fire going on in the fireplace. Feels very homey to me.

The single room I have booked myself into was small, but since I was not planning to stay indoors all day long, it did not matter. The room does contain one of the best mattresses I have ever slept on, and all the luxury amenities that one could expect to find at a 5 star establishment.

The location of the hotel was as convenient as it could be. The District/Circle lines is within a 5 minute stroll, and along the way you will find high-end shops as well as local ones, including grocery stores and pharmacies. I personally do not mind if my London hotel is not located exactly next to the Big Ben or across the street from Harrod's, provided there is a subway station close to the hotel that can take me to the sights. Speaking of subway stations, the staff at the hotel was kind enough to tip me as to which station to transfer (to and from Heathrow) so that I don't have to haul my heavy suitcase up and down narrow staircases. This piece of information was indeed very useful and much appreciated.

The hotel also offers afternoon tea and champagne and hot chocolate in the drawing room depending on the time of day. I personally have not tried their breakfasts, but if you prefer, local bakeries are right around the corner on King's Road. There are restaurants abound in Chelsea, and if you prefer, Knightsbridge is only a 15-20 minute walk away.

Two weeks after my initial visit, I arrived at the hotel from Australia at 6am. And once again, my room was ready within one hour. This time I got a room with a nautical theme, and a huge closet. The staff could not make my stay any more comfortable and hassle free.

Overall, the Draycott is a lovely London townhouse located on a quiet sidestreet in the Chelsea area of London with easy access to pretty much anything. London no doubt is an expensive city to travel to, but the Draycott is able to offer competitive prices and premium location with none of the blandness of a chain-hotel or the craziness that comes along with the bigger hotels.

• Liked — hotel staff, location, price range
  • Disliked — narrow staircase, small rooms, tiny elevator
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
10 Thank Enjoys_Relaxing
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2007

The Draycott is a lovely hotel that surprises you with its excellent service as well as its spacious rooms. I have stayed at quite a few hotels in london but have never felt as if I were getting my money's worth. Most hotels in London are overpriced and do not have excellent service , particularly to women traveling alone. The Draycott exceeded the expectations of my sister and I as we paid responable rates for lovely rooms and excellent service. The public rooms of the hotel make a guest feel as if they are visitng a lovely country house and though the hotel is tucked away on a quiet street, it is convenient to shopping and public transportation.
My room was quite large and the only complaint I might have is the bathroom could do with a little remodel though it was spotless. The bedspread on the bed was also old and soiled and definitely needed replacing. Despite these small issues, we loved the hotel and the time we spent there.

Stayed January 2007