“Well Kept Secret”

Ranked #29 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Florida
“Well Kept Secret”
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We searched many sites before we found the Draycott but we are so glad we did! This is an incredibly well located small luxury hotel especially for people who may not be familiar with London. It is not cheap but we felt well worth the price. The staff could not have been more welcoming, professional, and accommodating. No request was too much, even tickets to "difficult to obtain" performances. The chaffeur service package deal offered from London Heathrow is well worth the cost. This hotel is conveniently located only couple blocks from the Sloan Metro Station from which one can reach anywhere in London in a short time and is within easy walking distance of many top notch restaurants, Harrods, and major museums. The room we had was huge with a nice sitting area and good size bathroom. The extra amenities in the afternoon and evenings are a nice plus for weary travelers and sight-seers. We would definitely stay here again. We hope not too many people discover this well kept secret!

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank Kamainatraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 26, 2006

The Draycott is a great hotel! I first stayed there 15 years ago - it was fantastic then ... but it's even better now. The rooms are large and interesting. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel's location couldn't be better -- close enough to everything, but also quiet and relaxing (which is important for the jetlagged traveller, trying to recover from a long flight.) Of course no hotel is perfect, but the wonderful thing about the Draycott is that as a small hotel, guests get to know all the staff, and so if you do encounter anything that's not to your liking, it is sorted out straight away. It's a well used cliche, but in the case of the Draycott, entirely appropriate -- I feel like I'm coming home, when I go to stay there!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed April 25, 2006

It's always a treat to return to the Draycott where the staff are welcoming and the rooms comfortable. The hotel is both convenient and runs like clockwork.
My wife and I stay at the Draycott several times a year.

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank Traveller99UK
Reviewed April 16, 2006

I have been coming to the Draycott for nearly three years, and for the last 6 months have been a regular wisit with my wife on business trips. Trips can be as short as one night or as long as a week. As we are now transferring to London our trips to the Draycott will cease and I can genuinely say that we will both miss our "second home and family" in Sloane Square.

The hotel is definitely luxury standard. The rooms are all very large, and the ones on the back overlook beautiful quiet gardens a real haven in central London. The furniture is meant to resemble a beautifully appointed English home - and is not a "contemporary classic" like so many of the rooms that all look the same whichever hotel you are in.

All the rooms are uniquely decorated - we will have stayed in most rooms by now and they are all lovely. For a particular treat we would recommend - The Shaw Suite, The Ashcroft Suite, or if you would like kitchen facilites as well The Vivien Leigh or Alan Bennett suites, pricier, but worth it.

The staff look after all the guests with great care and attention - recommending restaurants, making bookings. Indeed in an evening they are happy to bring the complimentary hot chocolate to your room if you request rather than drinking it in the drawing room.

Even when the hotel is full - of whatever type of travellers are staying - it is always quiet, and you would never know that it was full. The hotel is a regular haunt of European Royalty who come for one week a year - every year to shop in London. The Hotel is only a 10 minute walk from all the shops of Knightsbridge.

The hotel is definitely our luxurious home away from home in London, and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 12, 2006

I returned to the Draycott after 12.5 years to find a tired old woman of a hotel. Wasn't this supposed to be a luxury hotel? Clearly not. The carpet was worn throughout the hotel, and in my room it was ripped and cut up at one of the walls. The only sofa and chair in my room were small, cheap, filthy and worn. The chenille headboard had two wear spots where countless number of heads had rubbed the fabric away. None of these items had been cleaned in years. The decor of the room (the Laughton) was dull and drab, with old furniture covered in fingerprints on the old waxed surfaces and walls hung with cheap, fake, tired paintings. Even the candlestick holders on the mantle were bereft of candles! The curtains and shades were in good shape and functional, however. The room also had good light, since is was on the fourth floor of the hotel, facing the front (and south.)

There were several families of mold growing along the rim of the tub in our bathroom, and we were provided with a whopping TWO bathtowels for the two of us. A total of 13 hangers were provided for our clothes in a tiny, unventilated closet; simply not enough hangers for a luxury traveler visiting a luxury hotel. While the staff was nice enough, they clearly are not trained nor experienced in the nuances of luxury hotelling. The fact that the reception desk has been moved away from the front door of the hotel and hidden in a back room makes staff hard to find. I found the dark velvet drapes covering various windows in the stairways to be creepy and the poor lighting throughout these stairways made the environment even more dire.

What happened to the Draycott I once knew? I confirmed that it had gone downhill when I went to view the ruckus outside on the street one morning - an unmarked van was depositing at least 25 cheap suitcases covered with travel stickers. This 'group' clearly was not of luxury travellers and this sighting confirmed my suspicion that this is a tourist class hotel. The surly woman on Sunday afternoon who insisted that I had lost my key, although it was in the hotel's possession, was the last straw. On top of this, the hotel took my payment via credit card when I walked in, leading me to believe my room was ready early, as I requested. Only after my payment was secured did they advise me that no rooms were ready, "after all". I had no choice - any other hotel would take your bags and offer to check you in later, when a room was actually ready.

This hotel is dark, dank, worn and run-down. Although I love the small size and the Sloane Square location, and it was quiet, it is not a luxury hotel - beware!

• Stayed April 2006
51 Thank SeenAlot
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 7, 2006

Fabulous little hotel in Chelsea,less than a 5 min walk from the Sloane Square Tube Station. Only 35 rooms, with unsurpassed, personalized service. Charming little breakfast room, with only 5 tables. Hotel has a cute theater theme, so rooms are named for famous actors, vs. having numbers. Concierge got us great theater seats. Free tea and champagne in the afternoons in the lounge were an extra treat. Rooms luxurious and finely appointed. Pricey, but worth every penny.

7 Thank April1352
Reviewed March 13, 2006

we had never been to this hotel before but as soon as I and my two teenage children walked through the unobtrusive doorway we all instantly fell in love with it and decided that we would always stay when in London. It was luxurious, warm, welcoming and all the staff were very friendly. It was almost impossible to believe that we were in London. It felt more like we were staying in a friends house in the country. We did not want to check out and we will definitely be back. I will recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed March 2006