“Tired old woman of a hotel”
Review of Draycott Hotel

Draycott Hotel
Ranked #30 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Tired old woman of a hotel”
Reviewed April 12, 2006

I returned to the Draycott after 12.5 years to find a tired old woman of a hotel. Wasn't this supposed to be a luxury hotel? Clearly not. The carpet was worn throughout the hotel, and in my room it was ripped and cut up at one of the walls. The only sofa and chair in my room were small, cheap, filthy and worn. The chenille headboard had two wear spots where countless number of heads had rubbed the fabric away. None of these items had been cleaned in years. The decor of the room (the Laughton) was dull and drab, with old furniture covered in fingerprints on the old waxed surfaces and walls hung with cheap, fake, tired paintings. Even the candlestick holders on the mantle were bereft of candles! The curtains and shades were in good shape and functional, however. The room also had good light, since is was on the fourth floor of the hotel, facing the front (and south.)

There were several families of mold growing along the rim of the tub in our bathroom, and we were provided with a whopping TWO bathtowels for the two of us. A total of 13 hangers were provided for our clothes in a tiny, unventilated closet; simply not enough hangers for a luxury traveler visiting a luxury hotel. While the staff was nice enough, they clearly are not trained nor experienced in the nuances of luxury hotelling. The fact that the reception desk has been moved away from the front door of the hotel and hidden in a back room makes staff hard to find. I found the dark velvet drapes covering various windows in the stairways to be creepy and the poor lighting throughout these stairways made the environment even more dire.

What happened to the Draycott I once knew? I confirmed that it had gone downhill when I went to view the ruckus outside on the street one morning - an unmarked van was depositing at least 25 cheap suitcases covered with travel stickers. This 'group' clearly was not of luxury travellers and this sighting confirmed my suspicion that this is a tourist class hotel. The surly woman on Sunday afternoon who insisted that I had lost my key, although it was in the hotel's possession, was the last straw. On top of this, the hotel took my payment via credit card when I walked in, leading me to believe my room was ready early, as I requested. Only after my payment was secured did they advise me that no rooms were ready, "after all". I had no choice - any other hotel would take your bags and offer to check you in later, when a room was actually ready.

This hotel is dark, dank, worn and run-down. Although I love the small size and the Sloane Square location, and it was quiet, it is not a luxury hotel - beware!

• Stayed April 2006
51 Thank SeenAlot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati
Reviewed April 7, 2006

Fabulous little hotel in Chelsea,less than a 5 min walk from the Sloane Square Tube Station. Only 35 rooms, with unsurpassed, personalized service. Charming little breakfast room, with only 5 tables. Hotel has a cute theater theme, so rooms are named for famous actors, vs. having numbers. Concierge got us great theater seats. Free tea and champagne in the afternoons in the lounge were an extra treat. Rooms luxurious and finely appointed. Pricey, but worth every penny.

7 Thank April1352
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2006

we had never been to this hotel before but as soon as I and my two teenage children walked through the unobtrusive doorway we all instantly fell in love with it and decided that we would always stay when in London. It was luxurious, warm, welcoming and all the staff were very friendly. It was almost impossible to believe that we were in London. It felt more like we were staying in a friends house in the country. We did not want to check out and we will definitely be back. I will recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed March 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2006

As soon as i arrived at the hotel I knew it was going to be an amazing experience. I walked in the door and felt right at home. The staff was extremely friendly and the decour was exceptional. I love the hotel's layout because it feels like a big, cozy bed and breakfast. The room I stayed in was amazing. It had many amenities and the most comfortable bed. It was nice and large with a homey feeling. The hotel had so many little things that made a big difference in my stay. There was the sitting room, the computer with internet connection, champange in the early evening, movie rental, and so much more. Overall it was a joy.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank mcoffel
new forest, united kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2006

my husband, myself and our 2 children have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and we love it! it is a real haven, tucked away just behind the hustle and bustle of sloane square. cosy fires, friendly staff, the most comfortable beds ever and a real home from home feel epitomise the draycott.
writing this review has made me yearn for our next visit!

Stayed December 2005
14 Thank joa_7
Lausanne Switzerland
Reviewed January 15, 2006

The Draycott is the perfect blend of upscale London accomodation (three minute walk from Sloane Square tube and all the top boutiques in Chelsea)and a very comfortable, welcoming atmosphere. The shower had great water pressure, the beds were gorgeous 100% cotton, and the staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and just the right mix of attentive and reserved. The concierge was able to book us a nearby restaurant reservation I'd tried to get for weeks. The evening glass of champagne in the Draycott's lounge was a lovely opportunity to sit down and relax for a few minutes before the evening's next adventure... and have a nice chat with fellow guests, touching base for a few minutes and making the whole experience that much more memorable. You'll read reviews in the room's guest books, often saying "home away from home." I wholeheartedly agree.

25 Thank nancy f