“Wonderful”

Ranked #30 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Toulouse, Midi-Pyrenees, France
“Wonderful”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed at the Draycot for one night November 8th and it was wonderful .Beautiful rooms and the staff were very helpful and understood everything I said. re the last review( maybe the marbles in your mouth didnt help) all in all a very enjoyable and relaxing stay .would have to agree the breakfast is expensive.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My overall impression is that the Draycott is OK. However, I have to travel to London frequently for my work and have found that there are better hotels available for about the same price. I would not stay again.

I have stayed twice in the past year. Once last Christmas (I booked a "package") and once as part of a group last month. Frankly, the Christmas package experience was so awful that I would not have returned for the second stay, but another group member did the booking and I went along.

I don't want to be unfair. On the plus side, the hotel is in a beautiful, safe, quiet area. It is very close to the underground and to many other attractions (such as Buckingham Palace, Hyde Park, Harrods, etc). Staff were polite. The rooms are quaintly and individually decorated.

But on the minus side, I found things to be somewhat disorganized.

My expensive "Christmas package" was a mess and I was very disappointed. My show tickets were not available at the theater when I showed up (late, because it took over 45 minutes to book in, despite four staff members being at reception) and it was stressful and time-consuming to sort out the problem. When called about the problem, the people at the Draycott said that they were only responsible for booking the tickets. More importantly, the "Christmas hamper" of food was nothing but a small sock full of cheap marshmallow and chocolate! I ended up roaming the streets of London looking for something to eat on Christmas Day. Breakfast was not included in the hamper (and it was shockingly expensive and left outside my door to go cold). I won't go on moaning, but there were other minor issues. It was all quite depressing.

I politely and calmly mentioned my problems with the "Christmas Package" to the manager before I left. Although he seemed friendly enough, he did nothing but argue and justify (he seemed very young and had trouble with English). Eventually, he did admit the package was pretty pathetic and his supervisor (a much more professional person) contacted me offering a partial refund and an unreserved apology.

For my second stay, things went more smoothly. However, I still didn't feel like I was having an "English" experience. Also, there were several niggly things that shouldn't have happened at such a pricey hotel.

It did bother me that although marketed as an "English" hotel, most of the staff I encountered seemed to have trouble communicating in English (except for one person at the reception) and were very young and inexperienced. Don't get me wrong--I have no problem with the fact they weren't English, but I don't like the idea of a luxury "English" hotel where staff investment may not be a high priority. Perhaps I am too impatient, but I found it irritating to have to traipse down to reception and wait for the one person who could communicate whenever I had a question.

Overall I would say that if, for you, quaint decor is important, then you may feel it is worthwhile to put up with a lower degree of staff professionalism and organization. I'm not saying that the hotel is awful. Just that I think it is possible to do better in London.

Room Tip: Single rooms have single/solo beds. I was fine with this, but some people may find these too narrow...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bzz77
Draycottfeedback, General Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback. Further to our email correspondence in January, I still agree that after we looked at how we sold our package you were correct, the wording Harrods Hamper could have create a vision of something more abundant. We therefore decided to refund your Christmas night in full as you mentioned. Once again thank you for your feedback as we have learned from this experience and this year we offer a full traditional English Christmas roast for guests that choose to stay in on Christmas day.
I am surprised by your comments about English language as this does not seem to be the general consensus of our reviews or in our guest feedback questionnaire. In actual fact we have been refer to as Quint Essential English, “Old English Hotel with Lovely staff”, and “English charm and special atmosphere”.
Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this further. Our guest feedback are valued and assists us on improving our offerings.

Kind regards,
Melissa Stoman
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The Draycott Hotel was wonderful ! We stayed there for four nights in mid October and loved it. It offered us everything we were looking for - a quintessential British experience,a home away from home, a beautiful garden to look out on and wander in,one of the best beds we have ever slept in and peace and quiet in a beautiful part of London. Adding to all that, the staff at the Draycott were the friendliest , most helpful and welcoming hotel staff we have ever encountered. We stayed in the Jane Baxter room which is lower down but still with a lovely view up and onto the garden.It was spacious and very comfortable. The sitting room was a beautiful area to relax in and the complimentary tea and biscuits from 4pm or champagne at 6pm were lovely. The decor and views of the garden in this room were exquisite.I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel or to stay there again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Draycott is the quintessential British antipode to soulless hotel chains. An unexpected gem of a hotel with a real sense of place. Convenient to the Sloan Square tube stop, 5' walk away. Fine cafes and restaurants nearby and the lovely John Sandoe independent bookstore a 5' walk in the opposite direction.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank FrankMoorhouseFan
Cologne Germany
Reviewed October 25, 2013

There used to be a wonderful charming hotel in London called Basil Street Hotel which most unfortunately closed down some years ago and the property is no longer used as a hotel. Ever since my wife and I who visit London twice a year have been looking for a another hotel....Well, we believe we have found this in the Draycott Hotel. It such a charmimg hotel, with a lovely garden situated in such a nice quite location touching Knightsbridge and Chelsea. This charming hotel offers very good service and offers a complimentary scones and tea on an afternoon, a complimentary drink of champayne each evening from 6.00 to 7.00pm and when you come back at night a complimenary drink of chocolate. These are simple gestures but much appreciated.
My wife and I stayed in a junior suite which is the best we have had in London although the bath was high and could be difficult to get in and out for anyone old or handicapped.

2 Thank johnHCologneGermany
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The warmth of this hotel never fails. The staff is always welcoming and helpful in every possible way. We love the location as we are able to walk to so many wonderful places, and different tube lines. Depending on ones ability you can walk to Buckingham Palace, Sloane Street, Victoria and Albert Museum, Hyde Park, Harrods, and so many wonderful places. The staff always offers help in providing information in choosing a restaurant; travel information or any question that may arise. One feels like a kid again to come in after an evening in the theatre to a cup of hot chocolate in the lounge with 'biscuits' (cookies) or tea as they provide in the afternoon. These little added touches are delightful and keeps us returning to the Draycott.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Milhouse17
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 14, 2013

A lovely hotel with very warm welcome from the staff. Very comfortable rooms and as clean as the best hotels in Singapore but with character and class that only England can give. We will be coming back to London with our daughter in Christmas and will hope to stay here again.