“Comfortable and Charming”

Ranked #31 of 1,069 Hotels in London
South Wales
“Comfortable and Charming”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I must have styed at this hotel 20 times over the past few years and have always found the staff to be welcoming, professional and polite. Some of the bedrooms are fantastic, others are a little more cosy but you get what you pay for. We have often had upgrades, twice to the one bedroomed apartment style room with its own kitchen and reasonable rates of around £200BB which for London is fair. This is a great location and the breakfast super especially the porridge. Complimentary tea, Champagne and hot chocolate are a lovely touch,but not all guests take advantage of this service. Must also mention that the beds are large and very comfortable with high quality linin. A quiet oasis - you would never know that you are so close to Sloane Square. Perfect if you are visiting that corner of London.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for - the single rooms may be small so go for a double!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
m_stoman, General Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and for taking the time to share your comments. I have noticed you have done a review once before in 2005, it is very rewording to know that you have enjoyed our hotel for so many years.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Thank you for a wonderful stay at The Draycott Hotel! The staff were very professional, friendly and helpful. Our rooms were beautifully furnished and very comfortable and clean. The central location was also very convenient. We really enjoyed the "extras", for example, evening hot chocolate and afternoon tea in the drawing room! There is also a complimentary glass of Champayne in the evenings, if you like that, and the yoghurt at breakfast was also the best ever!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Leigh D
m_stoman, Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback especially the heading. We actively try to make it feel like a home in the city and not a hotel. The not so secret, secret regarding the Yoghurt is that it is Loseley’s Gold award wining range, made in the UK.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Upon my arrival I was taken to the single room that I booked through Expedia. The room was so small that I can only fit there myself. I would not be able to open my suitcase. Moreover the room was next to the elevator and it was extremely noisy. Real prison. As I planned to stay for a week, it was impossible for me to toucher myself. At the end I had to upgrade, where I had to pay additional 70% of the costs that I already occurred.

Staff was very impolite, arrogant, did not answer my questions. In some cases it seemed like they speak very bad English and can repeat only phrases learnt by heart.

Despite of No disturb sign on my door, staff entered my room when I was away to leave a note. After I made a comment about that they were arguing with me.

I would never stay in this hotel again. I do not recommend to consider it at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank zulsa1
m_stoman, General Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
I believe this issue has been resolved after we met yesterday morning. I trust you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to a Double Deluxe room for 5 nights. I am sorry I missed you on departure today.
Scandinavia
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Pros
- just off sloane sq
- all 5 star equipment
- 159 gbp fair compared to london prices
- Good bed

Cons
- damp smell of old unfresh building (corridors and my room)
- quirky building, a bit run down feel of staircase etc
- unreliable and claustrophobically small lift
- hot water in shower 3-4 minutes underway

Will not return

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank arc66
DraycottGM, General Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience 100%. I appreciate your comment that you will not return. I do however hope that you would contact me the next time you are in London, in order for me to show you rooms larger than our Single rooms. We are very proud of the work that has been carried out over the last twelve months; we have completely refurbished our Drawing room and our dining room and converted one of our suites into two lovely rooms, one a Standard double and one a Deluxe double. They were carefully designed by Nina Campbell to achieve the balance between a crisp, new feel and old worldly, all at the same time. We also follow a soft refurbishment plan, we do most of this work in the same style and it keeps the rooms fresh with no noticeable change. Our building consists out of three Edwardian Town houses that were converted into a hotel and it is certainty very quirky. Once again we appreciate your feedback and would love to hear from you.

Regards
Paris, France
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My mother, who is 80 years, spent 6 days days in that hotel. She doesn't speak English. She was given a very small room, with an uncomfortable bed, with an old used carpet, in a noisy area, with lots of stairs to climb.

When she inquired about breakfast, she was told it was expensive, but getting it for free was negotiable! To compensate for the bad quality of the room for a lady my mother's age, I would have expected that her breakfast would at least be offered.

The hotel staff should have been much more sensitive and change the initial room to a much better room. I had booked the room myself based on very positive comments on this site. Based on my mother's experience, I would not recommend this hotel despite its excellent location. The price paid is not justified. There are very good hotels in the same area, with better price / quality ratios.

Room Tip: Ask a description of the room before you book it. If you have a bad room, insist to change it. And a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank sipivu
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your mother’s experience was less than satisfying. Our single rooms are a double edge sword. I refer to a review left on the 3rd of December by a guest who stayed for 5 nights in the same room type and really enjoyed it. We take all our guests feedback seriously and see it as an opportunity to improve and tweak our product, especially where service is concerned. We are very honest in how we sell these single rooms as some people love them and some do not. Therefore the we list the actual size in our description and we ensure that all guests know the beds are actual single beds. I am surprised by the expensive breakfast comment, as our breakfast prices are the lowest in price of the hotels in the area.
Please do contact me to discuss your concerns; I am very interested to hear from you and to ensure that this room type was sold to you accurately.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Beware the single rooms that are not fit for even a child. They are dingy little rooms without even room for a single small bag. No air, no light and the beds are a box against the wall which is tiny for adults. Even though I had paid the same price as a decent room at other equivalent hotels, this one demanded extra money for a bigger room which had worn carpet, holes and water marks everywhere. Terrible. The toilet did not flush, the bath did not drain and was unusable. Worst of all the heating broke down on a freezing Friday night and the manager, a very smug Mr da Silva, said tough they couldnt fix it on a weekend!. This is not a five star hotel but a glorified bed and breakfast and with a terrible attitude to overseas guests. Shabby and over rated and over priced.

Room Tip: Do not get a single room but be warned even the suits are shabby and over priced.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank J9_Sydney
DraycottGM, General Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Ms Perrett,

Thank you for your feedback on the 23rd of January.

We are disappointed that you were dissatisfied with your stay and take all feedback direct or otherwise very seriously. I have discussed it at length with our Front of House team. We did have the unfortunate experience of a broken down Air-conditioning unit during a cold snap, but I believe you were offered a complimentary upgrade to a suite with working heating. You are correct in stating our single rooms are small, they are and we are very honest in our descriptions and my experience is that some guest like them and some do not. The Draycott is known to be a home away from home, and categorised as a five star Town House Hotel as we are unique in our style. We are not a hotel with a big lobby, a restaurant or a bar. I appreciate that some guest prefer such a set up and I suspect that is what you may have anticipated. It is sold honestly as a Town House Hotel with appropriate rates. The rate that was quoted was more than fair for the room type that was offered. I would appreciate more feedback as this is how we improve on our product. Especially on your comment regarding our suits as I believe the room you were in was a double. I would like to get in touch with you, as I am deeply concerned that no report was filed regarding failing plumbing during your stay.

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed 5 nights at the Draycott & had the Edith Evans room. It was a small room but amazingly cozy. The staff were all excellent. It was like staying in someone's home. The common areas are beautifully appointed. The artwork, fireplaces and flowers add to the charm. I liked the honor bar in the drawing room. Very handy. You really feel like you're in a high class London home. The location is perfect. Not on a main street so it's quiet, but so close to Sloane Square and the King's Road. Great restaurants and shopping at a stone's throw. Transportation is close too. The Sloane Square Tube stop is a few blocks away and on Sloane Street there are 2 buses (19 and 22) that go to Picadilly so you're close to the museums etc. The Albert Hall is a long walk but do-able and so is Harrods, Buckingham Palace and the Thames. I would definitely stay here again the next time I visit London.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo