“Excellent location , but really small, noisy, overpriced single rooms”
Review of Draycott Hotel

Draycott Hotel
Ranked #34 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My mother, who is 80 years, spent 6 days days in that hotel. She doesn't speak English. She was given a very small room, with an uncomfortable bed, with an old used carpet, in a noisy area, with lots of stairs to climb.

When she inquired about breakfast, she was told it was expensive, but getting it for free was negotiable! To compensate for the bad quality of the room for a lady my mother's age, I would have expected that her breakfast would at least be offered.

The hotel staff should have been much more sensitive and change the initial room to a much better room. I had booked the room myself based on very positive comments on this site. Based on my mother's experience, I would not recommend this hotel despite its excellent location. The price paid is not justified. There are very good hotels in the same area, with better price / quality ratios.

Room Tip: Ask a description of the room before you book it. If you have a bad room, insist to change it. And a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank sipivu
DraycottGM, General Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your mother’s experience was less than satisfying. Our single rooms are a double edge sword. I refer to a review left on the 3rd of December by a guest who stayed for 5 nights in the same room type and really enjoyed it. We take all our guests feedback seriously and see it as an opportunity to improve and tweak our product, especially where service is concerned. We are very honest in how we sell these single rooms as some people love them and some do not. Therefore the we list the actual size in our description and we ensure that all guests know the beds are actual single beds. I am surprised by the expensive breakfast comment, as our breakfast prices are the lowest in price of the hotels in the area.
Please do contact me to discuss your concerns; I am very interested to hear from you and to ensure that this room type was sold to you accurately.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Beware the single rooms that are not fit for even a child. They are dingy little rooms without even room for a single small bag. No air, no light and the beds are a box against the wall which is tiny for adults. Even though I had paid the same price as a decent room at other equivalent hotels, this one demanded extra money for a bigger room which had worn carpet, holes and water marks everywhere. Terrible. The toilet did not flush, the bath did not drain and was unusable. Worst of all the heating broke down on a freezing Friday night and the manager, a very smug Mr da Silva, said tough they couldnt fix it on a weekend!. This is not a five star hotel but a glorified bed and breakfast and with a terrible attitude to overseas guests. Shabby and over rated and over priced.

Room Tip: Do not get a single room but be warned even the suits are shabby and over priced.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank J9_Sydney
DraycottGM, General Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear Ms Perrett,

Thank you for your feedback on the 23rd of January.

We are disappointed that you were dissatisfied with your stay and take all feedback direct or otherwise very seriously. I have discussed it at length with our Front of House team. We did have the unfortunate experience of a broken down Air-conditioning unit during a cold snap, but I believe you were offered a complimentary upgrade to a suite with working heating. You are correct in stating our single rooms are small, they are and we are very honest in our descriptions and my experience is that some guest like them and some do not. The Draycott is known to be a home away from home, and categorised as a five star Town House Hotel as we are unique in our style. We are not a hotel with a big lobby, a restaurant or a bar. I appreciate that some guest prefer such a set up and I suspect that is what you may have anticipated. It is sold honestly as a Town House Hotel with appropriate rates. The rate that was quoted was more than fair for the room type that was offered. I would appreciate more feedback as this is how we improve on our product. Especially on your comment regarding our suits as I believe the room you were in was a double. I would like to get in touch with you, as I am deeply concerned that no report was filed regarding failing plumbing during your stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed 5 nights at the Draycott & had the Edith Evans room. It was a small room but amazingly cozy. The staff were all excellent. It was like staying in someone's home. The common areas are beautifully appointed. The artwork, fireplaces and flowers add to the charm. I liked the honor bar in the drawing room. Very handy. You really feel like you're in a high class London home. The location is perfect. Not on a main street so it's quiet, but so close to Sloane Square and the King's Road. Great restaurants and shopping at a stone's throw. Transportation is close too. The Sloane Square Tube stop is a few blocks away and on Sloane Street there are 2 buses (19 and 22) that go to Picadilly so you're close to the museums etc. The Albert Hall is a long walk but do-able and so is Harrods, Buckingham Palace and the Thames. I would definitely stay here again the next time I visit London.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I was alone and my room was a twin bed, a desk and that's it. But so extravagantly beautiful and cozy that I felt pampered. The bed was one of the most comfortable i've had. I had the Gershwin Room. But i did have to ask for an extra blanket. The staff was highly trained and attentive. There are two wonderful rooms in the lobby to lounge in - a library and a living room where drinks and snacks are served as part of your room charge.
Terrific location, near sloane square, with good restaurants and a theatre, but only very high-end shops (think Tiffany's) on Sloane Street.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
m_stoman, General Manager at Draycott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review. It is always lovely to get good feedback especially when it is staff related. I am glad you liked the Gershwin room, it is our smallest room but so cosy and lovely. I thought to write to you as we have decorated Gershwin this week, please come back and have a look at the positive changes.

Regards

Reviewed November 21, 2012

The Draycott had welcoming staff. They always remembered my name and had a great ambiance of a home. The rooms are nice and spacious, with each one having its own fireplace, rare for any hotel in London. The living room has an honesty bar, helps one get a quick drink after a long day. Great place to invite a guest. Its like having someone in your own living room.

A great treat is the garden in the backyard away from the busy streets of London. Located right in the heart of Chelsea, it is conveniently near coffee shops, restaurants tube station and shopping.

Definitely recommend it for people who are into boutique hotels and love personalized service. A few of these left nowadays. Everyone claims to be boutique, this hotel is the true definition of it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our fourth visit to this little gem...from the beaming welcome from a well trained, service orientated team to the "little touches" that make it special. The hot chocolate before bed, the champagne in the drawing room after a day in the city all add up to make it the place to stay in the city.

This time I was treated to an "apartment" with its own kitchenette which was great to brew a cup of coffee and heat up muffins at 3 am after a late function.

Room Tip: I had room 22 basement that was awesome!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We recently stayed at the Draycott Hotel for a couple of days on a short stop over in London. It is in the perfect position, right near all the shops on Sloane Square/Kings Road (perfect for Christmas shopping!) and some fantastic restaurants. We felt like we were staying in our own private house (we wish!), it really feels like home from home. You are destined for the best nights sleep! The bed linen is to die for, in fact, I must find out where they source it from. They also serve you delicious hot chocolate when you come in from the cold at the end of a long evening. The perfect place for a pre Christmas get away.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple