“Nice central location, modern hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #202 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Athens, Greece
“Nice central location, modern hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2006

Stayed for 4 nights in a junior suite. We had to wait almost for one hour to check in (three rooms in total), probably because we arreiveed late and the man at reservation was totally unexperienced if not a trainee.
The room and the bath room were huge and the modern decoration superb. However there had been extensive renovation constructions in one part of the hotel which started at 7.30 in the morning and I asked to get another room the next day. The new room was equally nice.
The location of the hotel is very convenient near Picadilly, Buckingham Palace and Oxford Street.Overall a good hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2006

We arrived at 2pm to check in to the hotel, we were told the room was not quite ready yet, and offered a soft drink in the bar, Fine. Half a hour passed and still no word about the room, upon investigation i was informed the room was still being cleaned! 2 hours later we were finally able to check in!.

Be warned at the weekend there is a limited menu available, and the bar tender, poor man seemed very harssed and unsure whether the kitchen could mannage bar snacks.

After a spending an evening out in the city, we returned to our room, it was the hottest day of the week and neither myself or my friend could get the Air-Con to work. We phoned Reception twice and were told someone would be up to assist us. 3 hours passed and still no help. Unable to open the windows due to the scafolding that lay outside our room, we sweltered the night away.We rang down for Water, as there was none avaible in the room, although the room directory did state each room had mineral water, again no water turned up.

Don't even get me started on the refurb and clealiness of the rooms!

Upon check out i informed the receptionist of our dificulties, very discreetly i might add, in return all i got was a vacant look and a feeble responce of: Sorry! Here is your Bill.

As a manager of a luxery hotel and a guest, i can not believe the lack of customer service, this hotel really needs a shake up.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2006

just arrived yesterday....i have now made three phone calls to the reception desk to request that someone put batteries in my in room safe. Is this asking a lot? At this writing it's still not fixed. Maybe I should just go out and buy my own batteries and fix it myself.

Also...I waited til 4 p.m. to get my room which I was told would be worth the wait because of the lovely view out the window. This lovely view is one of scaffolding and construction! So I will just keep the curtain closed.

Other than that...the room is nice enough and the business center is free....which is unusual these days. But the service needs to be improved upon. The staff is really friendly but no one can handle anything. They seem perplexed.

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank theatregoer002
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2006

We stayed at this hotel earlier this month and I must admit that after having read some of the previous reviews for this hotel I was a little worried as to what I would find once I got there. Especially as it was booked as a treat for my husband. I need not have worried!

Yes, there is building work going on at the moment and scaffolding can be seen, however, upon arrival, we were treated with courtesy and respect. Our room was not ready (although it was nearly 2pm), but we were seated in the restaurant and offered complimentary tea and coffee whilst we waited. By 2pm the room was ready and although the lift is terribly tempremental we were only on the second floor, so it was easy to take the stairs. We were in room 228 which has been refurbished. We paid a little extra because it was a delux double, but it was definately worth it. It is much bigger than other 4 or 5* London hotel rooms and the same goes for the bathroom. It had a separate bath and walk in shower, plus two sinks. There was also tea and coffee making facilities, however, the fridge did not work and there was no complimentary water as stated in the room directory.

If you have limited luggage then I would recomend that you carry it yourself to your room. We waited over 15 mins and then when we rang reception, the wrong bags were sent up. Our luggage did arrive though a few minutes later.

Breakfast was included in our price, and was nice enough. All in all, a good hotel and I am sure that once the building work is completed the inaccuracies in the service will be rectified. Would stay here again, but probably only for special occasions.

2 Thank SunSan
Southampton, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2006

OK - I was a little worried about booking this hotel, particularly having read the previous reviews - until the last one, that is.

we were having a special weekend away with friends, and took a risk with the ongoing renovations at this hotel. Here is our experience.

Location is fantastic. 2 minutes walk to green park tube station - on the same line as leicester square, convent garden etc. You can also get the jubilee line to waterloo from here. Green park is beautiful, and Buckingham Palace also really close.

Checking in was really easy, and we managed ot blag some upgraded rooms as well.

Rooms were clean, spacious, and had REALLY comfy beds. Free water in the minibar and luxurious bathrooms.

The lift was the most negative thing. Only one of them, and only holds 6 people (actually only 3-4 if there is luggage involved), but the stairs are not that onerous.

We didn't try the bar or the restaurant - preferring to head into the crowds and explore.

All in all, this was a bargain hotel. Yes, there are renovations, but they are remarkably well hidden. All the interior workings are hidden behind temporary walls painted the same colour as the regular wall - quite subtle. Comfortable rooms, and fantastic location.

Okay, it's not a 5* hotel at the moment, but it is pretty close, and for £100 a night, a real bargain!

5 Thank cowlid
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2006

At £500 room only for a 2 night stay in this Hotel I feel more than a little stung.
I was not advised when booking this hotel that it was in the middle of a refurb so was not happy to be paying £500 to stay in a building site.
Our newly refurbished room had stained bedding, stained carpets, chipped marble in the bathroom. The decor finishing leaves a lot to be desired! The fridge was not cool enough to store babies food which was a big problem. When I asked reception about this I was told this was down to the refurb - not sure why?
A relaxing stay in London it was not! Fire Alarms going off every 2 hours through the night made for fun with a small baby.
We couldn't open our curtains at all in the room unless we wanted a builder staring right in at us.
The lift scenario is ridiculous (take note if going with prams and wheelchairs) there is only one lift that goes to the ground floor (two more go from the 1st floor upwards!?!?). This one lift is just big enough for a pram and one person to squeeze in with it.
We waited more than 15 minutes to try and get the lift down from our 5th floor to the ground floor. In the end I had to walk down to the ground floor get in the lift and prevent anyone else on the other floors from getting in just so we could get downstairs. Utterly ridiculous.
Staff are friendly although slow at responding to housekeeping neglections. For example I called ahead on the morning of our check-in to double check that the cot would be ready in our room. When we arrived at night with a very tired baby we were disappointed to see no cot. We had to wait for a further half an hour for them to find it, then we had to put it up ourselves as no-one had a clue what to do with it. Refreshments in the room were not restocked either.
Not sure what the decor is about. A bizarre mix of oriental, asian and western contemporary. Looks like a hurried attempt to modernise.
The only thing going for this hotel is its location.
Not sure how it qualifies for its 5 star status?

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Scootles
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2006

I am so glad I didnt read the reviews on here before booking. It would have stoped me booking the biggest bargin ever. £99 off Last minute. I am quite appauled at all the bad reviews - if you can show me another hotel the centre of London with such an impressive room for under £100 then I will eat my words.

I often book last minute hotels on London and usually can only get a 4* for that price, where the rooms are all pretty much of a muchness. However walking into this room - my jaw dropped! The most comfy bed ever. huge walk in shower with the biggest shower head. lovely products. amazing deep stand alone bath. bang and oulsen TV, huge room. what more can you ask for!! Yes there was signs of building work and the lift is inconvenient but I found the staff pleasent, the bar staff pleasent. and the decor amazing.

Also Nobu berkley is only across the road - yum!

If you were not aware of the building work before you went I could understand some getting upset but come on, if you want a 5 Star hotel with no building work then pay the £300 price tag.

Well done radission and thanks for an amazing weekend!

6 Thank Pinkbeachball