“Our thoughts!”

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #224 of 1,072 Hotels in London
chichester
Reviewed May 8, 2006

My boyfriend and myself wanted a nice weekend away to London. We booked this hotel through Lastminute. The hotel on the website looked amazing as an up and coming newly refurbished hotel in Mayfair London.
We arrived and were greated by a nice lady on reception who gave us our room number and showed us to our room. We did however notice that there was building work being done... everywhere. This did not bother us to much.
We got to our room, we have to say we were very disapointed. Being the nosy person i am i inspected the room. There was a hole in our wall where the windows had not been fitted correctly and the bath was dirty. We telephoned reception, and they said they would call us back, with an alternative. Half an hour later, we finally went down to reception, where we were greated by a rude lady! I told her about the problem, she then moved us to another room.
The room was huge.The bed was huge and very comfortable. We decided to have a nosy around the hotel. The bars were shut, which was a pain!! We ended up going to Funky Buddahs across the road.. a whole group of wannabes!! (but thats another story) We never had breakfast in the hotel, as we were not even offered the choice, we would of probably paid aswell! However starbucks is not far round the corner!
On our last day we decided to book into the spa, this was amazing! We had a rainforrest shower and a couples mud bath. My skin was so soft, after days of having it. The relaxation room was heaven, however we could hear the tubes going past! This did make us giggle, maybe they need some music to be played. It was lush though. I was very relaxed!
One thing we noticed that people waited for a tip, which was mad, as we would of probably giving one anyway. I did not like the pressure of it!! The best thing about this hotel is probably the room service we ordered at 3.00am it cost us £35.00 but it was worth it, and great fun!
Dont think we would stay here again, been there done that one!!

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for The May Fair Hotel

Reviewed April 22, 2006

Stayed at the R/E Mayfair Saturday 22nd April - we stayed here 14 months ago whilst an earlier stage of the renovation work was underway. Had a fab, HUGE room then.

Booked the £99 lastminute deal and had read recent guests' reviews - a good thing we knew where the hotel was from our previous visit as otherwise it would be hard to find under the scaffolding & boarding outside ground floor. Reception staff courteous and smooth check-in. We were given Room 203 - this room should not be a hotel room, it is a peculiar shape, hard to walk around the bed because of angle of wall - it is away from most rooms, and seems to be surrounded by hotel storage cupboard - we even had a vacuum cleaner outside our room for duration of stay, would not expect this in a 5* hotel. There is no dressing table in this room, to dry your hair because of the position of the hairdryer in a draw you have to stand infront of the wardrobe using the mirror on the door - this really is quite poor because the lighting in that area of room is very dim.

Bathroom - bath tap half way up the wall - inconvenient. The extendable vanity mirror in the bathroom is at a very peculiar, low height - seems badly planned.

The May Fair Bar (cocktail bar) was shut Saturday night (no explanation as to why), so we went to the Amba Bar - £19.45 for two vodka and tonics - expensive even by Mayfair prices??? The bar staff not friendly, had to wipe crumbs off of the lounge seating before we sat on it - would expect this to have been checked and done already by staff.

The complimentary paper did not arrive this morning which we'd booked with Reception on check-in (maybe because they they forgot about us in this hidden away room), and, there were no complimentary biscuits/chocolates in the room with coffee/tea tray - very surprising and poor for a five star hotel.

Will not return here again but use other Top Secret hotels - have had some excellent hotels via lastminute - think the Radisson Edwardian Mayfair is overpriced.

6  Thank weewoo
Reviewed April 18, 2006

I wanted to write this review as soon as I came back of London in order to tell the all truth about this hotel.

I was really upset of all the reviews about it ! Whe I saw all the reviews here, I told myself that I will probably have the worst stay in London of my life (and I have ever been in london more than 20 times, that means more than 20 different hotels).

And I must say that it was allmost the best deal I ever have !

Therefore, my goal is to put your mind at ease if, like me, you booked this hotel through lastminute (you can have deals from £100 a night !) and after reading the others review, you start to think that you will enter in a worst place than the haunted mansion at Disneyland !

Then, lets go !

YES, there is Major building works
YES, the staff may seems unattentive or whatever

But we must all have in mind that, due to the refurbishment we all had great deals on this hotel.

First of all, there is one word : LOCATION !

Location is perfect, we are here at the middle of everything ! The tube is just one minute from the hotel and if you come from Heathrow Airport, take the picaddilly line ! You will be there in less than 45 mns ! No need to take the otherpriced and uneasy Heathrow Express...

OK, its not very nice to enter in a building completely wrapped in scaffolding but it is easy to find as soon as you know that it is the only scaffolded building in the area ;-)

But as soon as you enter in the hotel (great doorman by the way), you can only count on the "wouahou" factor ! Everything is luxury and opulent ! All the common area are based upon a orientalist theme with great buddhas and magnificent original artwork. You ave an enormous real baccarat chandelier that must cost an enormous amount too !

The reception is very stylish with managers a little bit cool, to be honest, but very attentive if you have a problem. I can easily understand that they can be cold if everybody who comes there annoy them about the refurbishment ! It is not their fault.

Upon checkin I had a little problem because they did not upgraded me as they should have done due to my Radisson Gold Card. There wasn't junior suite anymore they said...

So I discovered my Deluxe king room (£125 per night). Very spacious for london standards with a magnificent bathroom with both tube and walk in shower ! The best was the Bang & Olufsen TV with a nice entertainment program even though the number of channel is very limited

Yes, another point very usefull : the complimentary wireless internet access in the room ! Very usefull...

And, the better for the end : I had a marvelous view other the near square. I was on the 5th floor and no sign of scaffolding from my window.

In one word : perfect !

Very minimalistic but perfect.

The next day, when I came back to see if an upgrade was available (they had forgotten me), after a little bit arguying, they final me found me an junior suite on the 1rst floor.

And, then, it was even more "wouahou" ! Never seen such an opulent room with B&O Huge Flatscreen (!!!), original oriental artwork, and everything you can count of a 5 star hotel. The room was more than huge and the bathroom was the best I ever had in my life with philippe starck amenities, a flatscreen tv and a "rain" like shower.

I could speak for hours of this room ! So nice.

Only bad point : the view was on scaffolding.

But who cares ! I was obn my room to sleep, not to see the view !

So, it was the best room I ever had in London (and I ever had suites in Le Meridien or other Radisson hotels), but it is definitely the hipest one I had.

And regarding its price, it was a real bargain !!!

Sure that when the refurbishment will be finished, the prices won't be the same.

So my advice is that this is a fabulous offer for a 5 star in the heart of fashionable mayfair and that you must think first that when we are in a room we do not look outside but INSIDE !

So this is a real bargain !

7  Thank Jean Charles C
London
Reviewed April 9, 2006

What a disaster!
Major building works
Hotel almost impossible to find under all the scafolding. Room totally devoid of natural light - when we lifted the blinds, our room was directly onto scaffolding and builders and dirt - couldn't leave windows open because of the filthy and noisy atmosphere outside.

The staff
The staff, bar one concierge, were unattentive, surly, and not at all what I would expect from any service personnel.

I was particularly upset when our room service arrived 1 1/2 hours after ordering - during that time I rang reception, house keeping and concierge, only to be left unanswered or passed onto somebody else who either hung up or did not answer the call at all.

To add insult, the staff forgot to ask to sign for our room service and so returned at 3am, sometime later, when we were fast asleep. We were woken by his banging and buzzing the door!

The icing on the cake was that I was really sick not long after eating the food that had been delivered.

Complaint
We naturally made the manager aware of the problems we had encountered during our stay. He too was disinterested and unperplexed by our outrage.

What a waste of time and money - would never go back or ever recommend the hotel to anyone we know.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Hague, Netherlands
Reviewed March 28, 2006

The location is great, no denial about that. You would, however, have som hard time finding the place - it's completely wrapped in scaffolding, so you would not see any signs of the hotel.

Rooms are rather nice - in that ultra-modern minimalist design. However, it's not much to my personal liking - I find this style to be interesting to look at but not very comfortable to use.

Bathrooms are of Philipp Stark - and again, the same remark about design - interesting to look at, inconvenient to use. In my case, the bathroom (better say, shower room), also served as a huge walk-in closet. An interesting idea, but then prepare to see your clothes a bit damp - there is no other place to put them.

Also the showers (there were 2!) are walk-in, with no separation of shower floor area, from the rest of the ablution suit. As a result, you'd end up with a pool of water in the whole shower-room/walk-in closet.
Well, these are designer quirks.

However, the worst part is construction - all you see from your windows is some rusty tubes, dusty planks, torn plastic and lots of rubble on those planks - like cigarette butts, smashed coffee cups etc. The work does start at 7 am sharp and you hear it well.
It's not only outside - you can hear circular saws inside the building, dust flies around, there is a heavy smell of paint etc.

There is an Ethernet socket in the room, but while I was there, it did not work. Wiring is in place, and you get some IP packets, but there are some server problem, as I could figure out from diagnostic messages. Ditto for Wi-Fi.

Front-desk staff is cleary tired of complaints and requests for a room where all these construction symptoms are not so apparent - so they just seem to have given up long time ago and sulk.

Breakfast - nothing to write about. I had it in room.
Limited choice, so-so bread basket...

Well, summing it all up - if you are a leisure traveller, coming for a weekend, want to stay central and are keen to see what a five-star hotel room looks like - give it a try, if you find a good rate. Otherwise stay away. At least, until November, when the construction would be supposedly over, but probably you'd have to give it few additional months to get that depression feel out of the hotel staff.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
chambourcy, france
Reviewed March 23, 2006

. Here is a letter we sent to the Manager, European Customer Service and head Office in the US. We were told the Manager would be in contact.....we are still waiting. ......

Mr Martin Newbould

Carlson Companies
PO Box 59159
Minneapolis MN 55459 USA

Dear Sirs

I am writing to express my utter displeasure and disappointment in my recent stay at your hotel, the “grand five-star” Radisson Edwardian Mayfair for the dates 30 June-3 July 2005.

I arrived with my wife and two-year-old daughter shortly after midnight on 1 July, and departed after noon on 3 July. We were lodged in room 608, and we made the bookings on the internet, pre-paying a deposit of over £500.

My dissatisfaction was due to the following;

1 July;
-Access to the room was inconvenient at best. We had to first walk up a flight of stairs, then through a fire door needing a key to open, then down two lengthy hallways, one of which included additional stairs, before taking a service elevator.

-There was no mini-bar as confirmed with our booking on the Radisson.com website. The refrigerator was there, but it did not work, was at room temperature, and had nothing more than a bottle of warm water in it. When we queried the staff on check-in and again Friday afternoon, we were told that the lack of mini-bar was a “management decision”, that none of the rooms (old or new) had mini-bars, and that there was nothing they would do about it. In addition to our previous two discussions with desk staff about this, we spoke to the duty manager on leaving the hotel and she stated the the minibar should at least work, which it did not. She further explained that a group of guests had been polled and as a result, a “management” decision had been made to provide mini-bars where clients would have a choice to pay for beverages supplied by the hotel, or, additional bar fridge space where they could place their own items. If this is the case, a common sense “management” decision with guest consideration in mind, would be that the old system should remain available until the new one is ready to be implemented. An empty, warm fridge does not provide access to either.

-To get something to drink, I ordered two beers from room service. I stressed that they must be cold. After a 30 minute wait two lukewarm beers arrived. In order to avoid further waiting, I took the warm beers down the long journey to the front desk myself to exchange them for cold ones, which were available all along.

-Various fixtures in the room were loose and falling apart, including the shower water knob, the bin in the bathroom, the light fixtures in the ceiling, and most importantly, a wall socket that was pulled out exposing the wires and bare connections. This was a hazard to my two year old daughter and I would think a safety code violation in the United Kingdom.

-Both the entrance door and the bathroom door had holes made for a door bolt / lock however neither of these doors were finished completely and lacked these details. The bathroom door has a hole where the lock should be, the main door had part of the chain door lock in place but was missing key parts.

- Since we arrived in late the night before, and I had business meetings beginning at 11 AM and lasting all day, I hoped to be able to sleep later than 8 AM, which is the hour we were awakened by the hammering, sawing, and drilling noise going on in the hotel renovations in the next wing.

-In the evening, we asked for an extra bath towel from the maid service. Two hours
later, it had not arrived and we had to phone again.

2 July;
- We were awakened again on Saturday by the construction noise.

- There were problems with the service lift on and off all day Saturday and into Sunday
morning. One could only discover the problem by waiting by the lift to see if it would
arrive, because there was never any notification on the lift or elsewhere. Access to the
room was now up an additional five flights of stairs, but at least possible. The greater challenge was getting back down, as the stairwell door on the first floor was locked from the inside, without so much as a handle to grab onto to try to open it from the stairway side. As far as I knew, this was the only access to the lobby. I only found my way out by going into the renovation work and asking the workmen how to get out. This caused me to be late to a business appointment waiting for me in the lobby.

The inconvenience aside, I am sure that this was a safety code violation. In the event of a fire, there was no escape route. At 13:00 on Saturday I informed a young lady at the front desk of the problem, and showed it to her as she tried to help me get to my room. A simple door stop could have been a temporary solution, but at 17:00 the door was still locked.

-Saturday night at 9 PM I tried again to order room service. I asked for a mixed salad. I was told this was only available on the night menu after 11PM. In fact there was no green salad available. I then asked for a pizza, and was told I had an out-dated menu and so had to wait while a porter brought up the new one. To deny a guest a simple plate like a green salad, when the ingredients are readily available, strikes me as, well, stupid. It’s certainly not five star “prestigious” service. Does the hotel not have lettuce and tomatoes during daylight hours? Is the hotel at all concerned with customer service?

3 July;
Due to the out-of-order lifts, my wife, seven months pregnant, and carrying a 15 kg toddler, after waiting in vain for the lift, was forced to climb the extra five floors of stairs to get up to the 6th floor room. We do not believe that the hotel was giving value for money.

Given that the “first section of new bedrooms is currently under construction and is due for completion in June”, I question as to why we were placed in an incomplete room in July and, why indeed, the hotel was taking bookings for a service that was inadequate, and that it was most certainly unable to provide. One is able to understand that renovations are often necessary for the improvement and modernization of facilities in an attempt to provide better services and it is possible to allow reasonable leverage in considering this.

However, in our experience, the Radisson Edwardian Mayfair is in no state to be currently claiming to be providing a luxury service, in fact, it is in no state to be taking reservations for the section of hotel we were roomed in. The standard we found was far below that expected of a five star hotel, with severe safety violations that require serious and immediate attention.

I was in London principally for business. I found it difficult to conduct business in a professional manner in the Radisson. I was tired from lack of sleep due to the noise, and late for an appointment due to being locked in a stairwell.

As a golf course manager, I once worked with the Meridien hotel chain. I understand that there are people who will trump up complaints and problems in order to gain concessions in prices from the hotel.

I did not ask for any discounts, and I am not doing so now. I want to be sure that you understand that my dissatisfaction is genuine, and the reasons why in the future I will avoid Radisson Hotels in general and your hotel in particular.

Yours sincerely

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 14, 2006

Check in, is at 2pm, showed up and was told I had to return @ 4pm. Left my bags went for a walk....

Stayed here for a week 5-10th March.

Room was nice and clean. Modern decor. Had B&O TV in there...:)Double beds etc. There was scafolding outside my window which meant dust on the window sills, which meant the dust/dirt came in if you opened the windows, not that i cared as I did not have to clean the room... Hall way carpets were filthy as the workmen used them. And in the morning (7:30ish) they were not tip toeing around the place..GRR

Location is perfect, 2 min walk to Green Park tube station. Excellent area, Mayfair after all.. right accross from Nobu(famous restaurant) so you can star gaze from the Mayfair Bar if that tickles your fancy. Although the paparazzi probably will block your view. The bar closes early though 11pm. Which sucked as I did want a drink in there but when I showed up around 10:30 I was told they are closing, or it must have been my aftershave..

Breakfast was VERY expensive not that I was paying but still the menu is VERY limited. Either a Full English or continental. They did make me scambled eggs & mushrooms,toast,OJ, coffee one day they charged me £20 then next £15....

Had dinner my last night and it was £37!!! All I had was soup, steak and a glass of wine, oh wait and some water!! GRRR i did read somewhere on their website that you get 20% of your food bill but that didnt work out, I could not be bothered with it when checking out.

Gym was small but nice and not very busy.

Over all a nice hotel and will be better once completed. Some of the staff were a bit snooty and some very nice but thats to be expected.

Would stay there again, defo for the me location was perfect and a good area. Nice place to walk around.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business