“Good but aim for better”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #214 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Brussels, Belgium
“Good but aim for better”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The location of the May Fair is absolutely fantastic and this is probably the strongest feature of this property, along with the rooms if you get the suite. My stay was very comfortable. In my room, the bed was very comfortable and the room itself was spacious so was the bathroom. The lobby is opulent and grand yet it lacks charm. And this is where I would like to recommend a few improvements because this hotel has it all to become a prime spot among the big ones in the city:
- Friendlier service and a little more personalized- even some effort to call clients by their last name at check-in and check-out would help (it is a huge machine!) and it is hit or miss.
- Better wifi: not reliable in the room, it kept cutting and disappearing.
- Very confie rooms amenities but wifi not always reliable weak signal or disappears.
- Clients should NOT be paying for adapters in the rooms when they are paying such a hefty nightly rate...

To end on a (very) positive note: breakfast is good and even better was Philemona (hope the spelling is right). She was my breakfast server and she is just fantastic! I really hope the management reads this: Philemona is why my rating is 4 and not 3 stars. She genuinely talked to clients and this is the one big thing missing from the May Fair.

Room Tip: Aim for the higher floors to avoid any noise from the street if you are on the street side
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us.
Thank you also for your constructive feedback which I will most certainly take on board and discuss with my Heads of Department.
We very much hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Inderneel Singh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

just wanted to say that my stay at The May Fair was lovely. Even with a critical eye there was nothing to fault. The room was beautiful (705) – thank you. Wow – the bed is so comfortable with the mattress topper on. Housekeeping – spotless!
Thanks for looking after us . You made us feel like real VIP's.The staff was wonderful, helpful and kind at reception.
We had room service this morning and the food and service were both excellent.The breakfast’s were delicious and enormous.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Zana,
Thank you so much for your kind review and delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Your compliments were a pleasure to read and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
With my warmest wishes,
Utah, United States
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed at the May Fair for 2 nights. Excellent, attentive service. The hotel is in a nice location, within walking distance of many West End sites. Tube stop less than one block from hotel goes directly to LHR airport. Quiet room. Cannot comment on food, but lots of energy around the lobby & bar area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brian,
Thank you for your review and I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for your kind compliments and we do hope to welcome you back very soon.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We chose the location to be within walking distance of our early business appointment the following morning, but this hotel is really well located for leisure too. Just a stroll from Piccadilly, Park Lane and Oxford Street, you are in walking distance of most of the West End.

Having arrived into London off an overnight flight from the USA we were pleased that our rooms were available from 12 noon as requested. Sophie, the guest relations manager, did an excellent job in arranging our two interconnecting rooms in a quiet part of the 5th floor. They were both spacious, comfortable, well equipped and with awesome bathrooms. My one and only gripe was that the fridge was so full of auto-vend drinks that no room remains for any of the guests own supplies. A small point which could be easily rectified.

We didn't eat at the hotel, having booked dinner near the theatre, but both the restaurant and bar looked very inviting.

We set off for our meeting the following morning and left everything in the hands of the concierge. They arranged to store our luggage until we returned to collect it mid afternoon and it was all waiting when we returned to collect it by car at 3pm. Our luggage was loaded within a minute or so of our arrival and we were on our way.

It was a short but very pleasant stay and we received some excellent, friendly service.

We would definitely return when our travel plans include another visit to London.

Room Tip: Go for an outward, street facing room if possible away from the elevators. We had 524 and 526 and h...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind compliments.
I have taken note of your additional feedback and would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.
We do hope to welcome you back soon.
Burton on Trent
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Recently stayed at this Hotel for just one night. Service good . Food very good. Room although spacious was too hot and A/C did not cool it down which spoiled sleep. Room not well thought out . Had to plug in kettle on the other side of the room on the carpet!!! Also no dressing table in the room. Pretty poor for a Hotel supposedly of this calibre. Not five star.. When I mentioned these matters to member of staff on checkout I was told I should have booked a higher grade room. Not the answer I would expect from a member of staff in my business.will not be staying at this Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Frank,
I have taken note of your additional feedback and thank you for bringing this to my attention. The answer you received from one of our Receptionist's is completely unacceptable and please do accept my personal apologies for this.
We do hope this will not deter you from returning to The May Fair on a future occasion.
Newbury, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. The location is great. The staff are exceptionally attentive and thoughtful. Our suite was comfortable and spacious. I was thrilled that the "free" internet worked quickly and flawlessly. The Bose system in the room allowed us to listen to our own music. Two things about room 207: if there is a party/reception downstairs with music, you will be able to determine the names of the songs being played, but probably won't be able to sleep. When we complained at 10:45 PM, we were given a quieter room to sleep in, which was great service. Also, it is impossible to take a shower without creating a flood on the bathroom floor. Be sure to have an extra towel handy to put down as the floor is quite slippery when it is wet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura,
Thank you for your kind review.
I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again soon.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I had my first contact with this hotel via an e-mail prior to arriving asking if there was anything they could do or arrange for our stay of 5 nights in order to make it more comfortable. I liked that and actually did use the concierge service before my arrival. The hotel is lovely, luxurious and seems well run. Our room was upgraded to a junior suite as ours was not ready when I arrived very early after 26 hours flying! It was really large, very nicely decorated and really superbly appointed with a walk in wardrobe, huge bathroom with lovely smellies and lots of fluffy towels, slippers and so on. It was very quiet on the back of the building and we heard no noise from either neighbouring rooms or the corridor. Room service dinner was lovely and even hot, breakfasts were a comprehensive spread with eggs cooked to order and a mix of help yourself and table service and the lovely Ana presiding over it all with a smile. I was also really appreciative of the service offered by all the staff at the concierge desk who were unendingly helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable sending us to great restaurants and helping with anything and everything. I know it is there job but really, they were so great and happy to help. It is certainly fairly pricey (especially converting Aussie dollars) but really, given the quality and location to EVERYTHING it was worth it without question to us. We are definitely returning to the May Fair Hotel.

Room Tip: Do check the price of a glass of wine in the bar! Other half nearly fainted at the 70 odd pounds fo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Catherine,
Thank you so much for your kind review and I was so pleased you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us here at The May Fair in London.
It was a pleasure to look after you and thank you for your kind compliments about the Concierge team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.