The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #226 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We booked this hotel for its proximity to a number of nice restaurants but its also very close to designer shops and Hyde Park. We had a short walk from the local tube station and were welcomed by some pleasant doorman. What struck me on entrance was this is a big hotel with a number of check in points on arrival. The restaurant to one side and a large bar to the other both were busy mid afternoon on Friday.
The lobby is very pleasant and there is cool flavoured water if you have a short wait. We were unable to check into our allocated room due to our early arrival and although they offered us another we opted to head for the bar. We sank into some very comfy lounge chairs and briefly watched some nice looking cocktails and snacks pass by before the inevitable happened and we succumed to temptation and enjoyed a very pleasant couple of hours sipping and snacking without moving during which we were advised our room was ready. The room was nice modern decor and spacious and we were impressed to be greeted by a lovely gesture of a bottly of bubbly for my birthday. Our bags had already been dropped in. The view was inwards towards rear of other rooms located across the roof so nothing much to look at but similar to other big city hotels. The benefit was it was quiet a couple of floors up which is no easy task when the hotel has an adjoining casino and i believe a lively bar late evening. We also had a look at the Smoking area whilst there it is sufficiently quirky that we considered having a cigar and we dont smoke. All in good service, good night sleep and we found nothing to complain of. Conclusion big hotel quality evident and good service.

Room Tip: Number of different floors and i assume some rooms face to streets and others like ours inwards, so...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed your drinks in the May Fair Bar and our Cigar Room and thank you for your compliments.
We do hope to welcome you back again soon.
WIth my best wishes,
Inderneel Singh

Write a ReviewReviews (4,848)

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Got brought here after a mix up with an online booking at Holborn. Entirely happy with the staff who effected the transfer and then with the accommodation, comfort, sleep and breakfast here. Very convenient to the places I had to be. Recommended. Value on my deal. Don't know whether anyone pays full price. If I had to pay the advertised rates then I would think hard about coming back. If I could do it on expenses I would not hesitate.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review and so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit.
We very much hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Awesome service, great location and posh rooms! The bed was comfortable and I love the turn down service... There is a convenient store right across the street and underground station is 5 minute walk.Will stay here again the next time we visit London. Thanks May Fair...

CF
San Francisco, California

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Cezar,
Thank you for your kind review and delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for business in a king room.

Positives:
Great location.
Beautiful lobby and bedrooms, modern and tastefully decorated.
Good size bedroom, with lots of mirrors and plugs in convenient places.
Reasonably priced and delicious room service.
Helpful and polite staff.

Negatives:
Bathroom is an average size but there is a poor use of space. The only shower is over a very narrow bath.
I have recently stayed at the nearby 5-star Corinthia Hotel (for the same price per night at a corporate rate) which offers a large bath plus an additional walk in rain shower.
The hotel is very noisy, with noise coming from the street (I stayed on the third floor), guests in the hallway, other bedrooms and a very loud fridge.
Mattress is very soft, which may appeal to some, but for me was a negative.

Overall a good stay and I would stay again as the hotel is part of the Club Carlson loyalty programme (same group as Radisson and Park Plaza).

However for a 5-star hotel I was slightly disappointed with the overall experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lucy S

Dear Lucy,
Thank you for your informative review and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed some aspects of your stay.
I have taken note of your feedback and would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention. I will most certainly follow up on your comments.
I am pleased to hear you will return to stay with us and perhaps I may have the opportunity of meeting with you during your next visit.
In the meantime, I send my best wishes to you.

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Great location. Reception very welcoming staff polite and knowledgeable. Rooms modern, decorative and clean. Only downside was breakfast where staff were not attentive and failed to deliver a 5* service. Would stay again if there wasnt so many great hotels to choose from. Visited bar which was nice ambience and busy.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I was so sorry to read your feedback about breakfast and please be assured this is something I will follow up with my Restaurant Manger. In the meantime, please accept my personal apologies for your experience.
I do hope this will not deter you from returning to The May Fair and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

perfect location for a short trip to London. Walking distance to shopping, restaurants, park. Across the street there is a grocery store to buy any necessities. Small rooms, but nice and clean. Staff was nice and helpful. Thank you, Antonio.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
WIth my best wishes,

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed at the May Fair Hotel last May as part of my good friend's Hen weekend. We stayed in the Schiaparelli Suite which was beautiful. The suite was very retro and was pink and gold- such beautiful decor. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodated us. We had a really great time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments about our Schiaparelli Suite. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your friend's Hen weeekend and we do hope to welcome you back soon.