“Mediocre hotel at a caviar price”
Review of The May Fair Hotel

The May Fair Hotel
Ranked #222 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 2, 2014

As you walk in to the lobby your nose is assaulted by the smell of cheap perfume. After a wait to check in you can reasonably expect one of the two elevators to work. Rooms are decent but in this vicinity there are at least 10 hotels in this price range that are world class. At a price of 480 pounds for a night you can do a lot better. Breakfast was 28 pounds but having to wait 15 minutes for a second cup of coffee put it below what I would expect from a diner.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gosnold10
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for your review which I was concerned to read.
I am so sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations and please do accept my personal apologies for this.
I will certainly be following up on the points you have made and thank you for taking the time to make me aware of these.
I do hope you will return to stay with us so you can experience The May Fair as I would have liked you to on this visit. If you do return, please do let my office know.
With my best wishes,
Inderneel
Inderneel Singh

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked two rooms next to each other.

The message failed to get through to the receptionist who spent ages consulting her computer. Finally we were told that the rooms would be ready in an hour - one hour pass the booking in time. We went and had an over expensive lunch in the bar and went back for the key in an hour - still not ready so we went out shopping. Came back and 3pm and got one key and was told that the other room would be 10 minutes and that they would call. At 4:30pm went down to the reception as no call. Asked for the manager, who finally sorted out the key with little apology and no compensation.

Rooms were nice and the location great but just lacked the polish to be a 5 star hotel - maybe time for a change of management.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Great location, 5 star service, staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms very Spacious, clean, modern and I had best night sleep in a while!!
This is our second visit to the hotel and wasn't disappointed. Will definitely be visiting again soon!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Hodge, Thank you for your kind review and I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your compliments about the team. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future. With my best wishes, Inderneel Inderneel Singh General Manager

Reviewed January 1, 2014

stayed 28/12-30/12
well i come to london every 2 months for a few night and normal book a nice hotel like st martin or the waldorf and discided for our anniversary book in to the mayfair as it know for being 1 of the best, well all i can say how disapointed i was as soon as i walked in to the room it was so basic apart for the fancy bedding covers and chairs it was just like any other cheap hotel standard not a 5star 1 at that, 1st the bath was dirty which i was disapointed about, the carpets were dirty and seen better days and the skirtting boards were rotting away and do not expect this when im paying nearly £300 a night i wouldnt even expect that in a premier inn, when checking out i was expecting to be asked how was my stay but they never asked so i though i would put my comments on here to share with people.

location was really good for the underground as it was central ...

Room Tip: go somewhere eles if your expecting luxury unless you can upgrade to suite...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Lincoln, Thank you for your review. May I start by offering you my personal apologies that we did not live up to your expectations and I am just so sorry for this. I will certainly take your comments on board and follow them up with the Heads of Department concerned. I do hope you will return and stay with us again so you can experience the Hotel as one should and if you do return, please do let my office know so I may have the pleasure of perhaps meeting you. With my best wishes, Inderneel Inderneel Singh General Manager

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We called ahead to check in early which had been noted and we were told we could get a late check out - no charge which was greatly appreciated. After an hour of getting to our room, champagne and strawberries with chocolate sauce! Again free of charge. A great loss leader. Anthony Attenborough was great help at the front desk and concierge were extremely attentive. Thank you for yet another great stay! Happy New Year!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Becky, Thank you for your kind review. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind feedback. Wish you a very Happy new Year too! We very much hope to welcome you back soon. With best wishes, Inderneel Inderneel Singh General Manager

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We arrived at the in the evening, we stayed on the first floor in the platinum suite (room 102). Check in went very quickly and we had been informed we had received a upgrade, Fatima the guest relations manager came to greet us and provide us with her card if we needed anything during our stay, she was extremely professional and made us feel very welcome.
The room was beautiful very well kept, clean, and everything looked like new.
Once in our room we had a visit from housekeeping to check we had everything we need and a call from guest relations to check we where happy with our room allocation, the safe in the room would not lock due to a low battery. Someone from maintenance came right away, he was very polite and fixed the problem and apologized for any inconvenience.
Our room was front facing on the first floor, it was very quiet for our whole 6 night stay and we never had any problems with noise.
The location of the hotel is great, you can walk to many places or take a short tube / bus ride.
The checkout was smooth although the line did seem to be handled oddly, one man just walked to the front of the queue and the reception staff said nothing to him, which I thought to be quite rude, although I do believe as it was busy it was possible they didn't notice. When checking out we had a mini bar charge but had not used the mini bar, this was removed for us with no fuss.
This was truly a great stay at a beautiful hotel with amazingly helpful and professional staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
May811, General Manager at The May Fair Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your additional feedback. Thank you also for your kind compliments about Fatima, please be assured I will pass on your comments. We do hope to welcome you back soon. With best wishes, Inderneel Inderneel Singh General Manager

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have been staying at the May fair hotel London for the past 20 year, this hotel has really transformed to meet the modern global travellers' needs. The rooms on the south side are quieter , comer suites are large and sunny whilst the floors have lesser A/C noise. The interiors are perfectly regenerated and re-modelled to a very high degree of taste. The May fair bar is a place to chill. Most importantly, staying at the May fair hotel is a good value for money...

Room Tip: The rooms on the south side are quieter , comer suites are large and sunny whilst the floors have le...
Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Farouk, Thank you for your review. I was absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It is a great pleasure to learn that you've enjoyed our company for such an incredible time duration and thank you for your complimentary comments. We look forward to welcome you back very soon.

With best wishes,